• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Price Variant Ever?

6 posts in this topic

I don't know much about Golden Age but weren't some of the Worlds Fair Comics issued at .25 instead of the normal .15. Seems I remember something about it. I'm sure someone can elucidate.

From Overstreet:

"The 1939 edition (New York World's Fair) was published 4/39/39 and released 4/30/39, the day the fair opened, at 25c, and it was first sold only at the fair. Since all other comics were 10c, it didn't sell. Remaining copies were advertised beginning in the August issues of most DC comics for 25c, but soon the price was dropped to 15c. Everyone that sent a quarter through the mail for it received a free Superman #1 or #2 to make up ther dime difference. 15c stickers were placed over the 25c price. Four variations on the 15c stickers are known. The 1940 edition was published 5/11/40, and was priced at 15c. It was a precursor to World's Best #1"

emphasis mine