• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #29 (DC, 1939) Good Buy??

18 posts in this topic

That is my concern. Nobody wanted it and now they want the same $$

I think I will take a pass....

Someone did want it because its gone, and frankly, I think they got a great book for the price.

Considering that the 1.5 FR/GD copy on Comiclink has a $5,000 asking price...why wouldn't you want one that has had minimal work done, is undeniably sounder structurally, and will cost you nearly a grand less?

Because asking price has nothing to do with value. And because the work on the Heritage copy faded the colors, which is very important to a lot of collectors.

The copy on comiclink was 5100. Someone had bid 5000. Now the asking price has dropped to 5000, but the highest bid has also dropped to 4950. Now if someone were really interested in that book, why would 50 dollars stop them from buying it?

Because asking price has nothing to do with value. And because the work on the Heritage copy faded the colors, which is very important to a lot of collectors.

The copy on comiclink was 5100. Someone had bid 5000. Now the asking price has dropped to 5000, but the highest bid has also dropped to 4950. Now if someone were really interested in that book, why would 50 dollars stop them from buying it?

I agree that the bidding on the Tec 29 on Comiclink looks a suspicious...however, getting back to what this discussion is really about:

- GPA records a sale of a Tec 29 in unrestored 2.0 in Dec 2004 for $5,800 (More than Double guide at the time). While we have no additional info to judge its condition or level or preservation, is a Tec # 29 5.5 with Slight Resto. for less than $4,100 not a comparative deal?

Faded colors or not, creamy pages or not, slight restoration or not, I can't imagine choosing the 2.0 over the Heritage copy, especially when you factor in the cost difference.

I agree that the bidding on the Tec 29 on Comiclink looks a suspicious...however, getting back to what this discussion is really about:

- GPA records a sale of a Tec 29 in unrestored 2.0 in Dec 2004 for $5,800 (More than Double guide at the time). While we have no additional info to judge its condition or level or preservation, is a Tec # 29 5.5 with Slight Resto. for less than $4,100 not a comparative deal?

Faded colors or not, creamy pages or not, slight restoration or not, I can't imagine choosing the 2.0 over the Heritage copy, especially when you factor in the cost difference.

Although I don't have an image of the book at hand, I can tell you the serial number was 0500337003, graded 09/29/2004. Off-White pages, no other notes.

Cheers, George.

You compared the Comiclink copy to the Heritage copy, so equating value with asking price is part of what the discussion is about.

The 1.5 Tec 29 is unrestored. The restored 5.5 and the unrestored 1.5 are not comparative deals. As has been long since proven, unrestored books, even in low grade fetch higher prices than restored copies. Rate or return on the 1.5 is going to be better over the long run than a restored copy.

Also, if the 5.5 was such a great deal, why didn't it sell in the auction? Why didn't Heritage buy it themselves?

I thought about the Det 29 long and hard as I had the money, but the cream pages were the deal breaker for me. If CGC calls them cream, then they are probably tan and the interior covers are probably brown and may be starting to get brittle. Just not willing to risk it even for a Det 29. The registration was pretty decent though. The Det 31 is still available but with Moderate work and the poor cut, also not too attractive.

I too thought long and hard and have the money, but there was a chip off the top right hand side of the cover and coupled with the creme pages, I too held back and am not sorry that the book sold to someone else.

Tec 29 is a GERBER 5 and more copies seem to be surfacing with the advent of the Internet and Ebay. Another copy will surface as usual. I do feel that the Tec 29 5.5 Slight R was a good deal, but not a book that I was willing to lay out $4K for now and have to sit on. Like batman fan, I was concerned about the structural integrity of both the pages and the cover as pages are creme and the cover looked like it was very fragile indeed.

You compared the Comiclink copy to the Heritage copy, so equating value with asking price is part of what the discussion is about.

The 1.5 Tec 29 is unrestored. The restored 5.5 and the unrestored 1.5 are not comparative deals. As has been long since proven, unrestored books, even in low grade fetch higher prices than restored copies. Rate or return on the 1.5 is going to be better over the long run than a restored copy.

Also, if the 5.5 was such a great deal, why didn't it sell in the auction? Why didn't Heritage buy it themselves?

Who knows who bought it? Do you? Could very well be Heritage, no?

As for it being a great deal, that is based on my opinion that slight restoration is acceptable if the book itself is sound. Paying $5-6 grand for a shredded 1.5 to 2.0 copy is nuts in my opinion, but thats why the line between collectors who accept and shy away from restoration exists....whats acceptable to me is obviously different than what is acceptable to you.