• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Different comic art paper types...

8 posts in this topic

Newbie question: Can someone explain to me the differences between the various art boards/papers used for OA? For example, I've heard "Strathmore", "Craft-Tint", "Vellum", etc. mentioned, but don't know what the differences are. How do I tell the difference? Also, are there archival considerations I should know about with the different paper stocks? Thanks!

Felix

Strathmore is a decent paper producer:

http://strathmore.com/index_content.htm

Craft tint is a (brand?) name for a type of paper that has hidden within in it, a set of screened dots. You draw on it like regular paper and then paint on it with special chemicals and the dots are revealed. My friend Greg Moutafis has been using it recently:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp...at=0&UCat=0

Vellum is the name for a type of high quality paper. In terms of comics, it specifically refers to "Bristol vellum"- "Bristol" paper with a smooth (vellum) finish. This is the typical 2 ply comic book paper that you see most original art produced on.

Thanks for the education! Is one type better than others? I've seen people request art, but "nothing on vellum". Just wondering why vellum is looked upon this way.

Also, I've heard that Craft-Tint is susceptible to sunlight damage, so it's not good for framing.

Felix

Actual 2 ply bristol isn't usually called vellum- bristol is a thicker 2 ply white board (ply means 2 sheets of thin board connected together with a filler between the two that holds them together)

Vellum is usually a translucent piece of paper- high grade veluum is produced from animal skin not your normal wodd or ragstock paper. Vellum is often used for tracing or prelim purposes. It does tend to yellow and can become brittle easily.

vellum isn't usually used for finished work i nthe comic business so - people maybe also afraid of forgeries when they exclude vellum or they may be affraid of yellowing

Tracing paper is usually wood or ragstock paper done extrathin so it is translucent easily seen through- also is not very thickand thus quite fragile

I own a number of framed craftint pieces and have never seen any reactio nto light though I usually keep my framed pieces out of direct sunlight- I always foigured the damged pieces were more due to moisture or storage close to other craftint pieces where the chemicals would travel between pieces activating the craft tint where it wasn;t supposed to be.

if you are interested in this techinical stuff find a copy of Anne Clapps Curatorial Care of Works of Art on Paper

I do the comic art columns for the Comics Buyers guide and also for The Cartoon Art Fans Gallery I've cover art drawn on mylar and need proabbly to do pieces on the various paper stocks used- Best George Hagenauer

Anybody can draw on vellum. It is actually user friendly. It is easy for lightboxing and tracing. it is smooth and easy to draw one. but it is fragile. Plus I don't want anything on vellum unless I am personally watching the artist draw on it. Because it make it too easy for them just to trace something like what I want and cheat.

Thanks for the education! Is one type better than others? I've seen people request art, but "nothing on vellum". Just wondering why vellum is looked upon this way.

Also, I've heard that Craft-Tint is susceptible to sunlight damage, so it's not good for framing.

Felix

They could be referring to vellum in the traditional sense, which is a type of translucent paper (originally made from animal skin.) Artists sometimes use this translucent vellum as a sort of high quality tracing paper to ink over pencils.

Craft Tint is the result of a chemical interaction, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were a problem in terms of sunlight damage. Of course, ALL art is susceptible to sunlight damage, so..

Actual 2 ply bristol isn't usually called vellum- bristol is a thicker 2 ply white board (ply means 2 sheets of thin board connected together with a filler between the two that holds them together)

I guess I'm letting my own comic making paper preference get in the way. I use Strathmore 2 ply bristol vellum in 17 by 14 pads for pages and 9 by 12 for convention sketches.