• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-2 Who's seen it? Spoiler!!!

92 posts in this topic

And just as a PS, I'm not being negative in the least, and one of my favorite movies (Empire Strikes Back) doesn't have a true self-contained story and kind of leaves off with a teaser.

I was just disagreeing with your insipid comment that Star Wars is somehow the same as LOTR or ESB, when it was designed from the start to be a stand-alone movie, the same way most popular movies that spawn sequels are. Lethal Weapon, The Matrix, Terminator, etc.

Heck, Lucas had a hard enough time getting SW produced, without worrying about carrying over to multiple movies.

And just as a PS, I'm not being negative in the least, and one of my favorite movies (Empire Strikes Back) doesn't have a true self-contained story and kind of leaves off with a teaser.

I gave up on the Star Wars movies after that one. Ending the freak'in movie with Hans stuck in a block of metal was unbelievable to a 13 year old & I never have been able to get interested again. Kind of sad because I was a huge Starwars fan, having read the paperback before the movie ever hit.

I don't think this X-Men movie is comparable. The only people that know this movie is a prelude to the next are the comic people, the regular movie going public assumes that the "ending" was the death of Jean Grey. As far as the average fan thinks, the main villain of the next storyline will be Pyro, as he defected to Magneto's side. The phoenix on the water was so subtle that even some comic fans didn't get it. I also thought I caught an image of the flaming phoenix in Jean Greys eyes as she blasted Cyclops across the room. Was that my imagination or did anyone else catch it?

Lastly, I agree with the thoughts that Night Crawler stole the show, they fleshed out his character really well & the skin art was a great visual design for the character. Between Spider-Man, X2 & the Hulk, I think Marvel could be huge in the upcoming years. Wonder when DC is going to wake up & start knocking out some of their characters besides Superman, Wonder Woman & Batman.

My buddy saw the Phoenix in Jean Grey's eyes as she blasted Cyclops, but I didn't see it due to all the furious surrounding action. I was told about it ahead of time but still could not catch it. Lots of fanboyz will watch X2 twice this weekend just to relive the rich detail in the film. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hope u have already seen Famke Janssen in Deep Rising or 007: Golden Eye.

Not to mention her modeling for Victoria's Secret in London a while back... blush.gif

I have to say, though, that in some scenes in X2, her age (38) was really showing...there was even one scene where there were numerous visible lines on her face. Also, James Marsden (Cyclops) is only 29 and when Jean & Scott are together in the film, it really does border on looking like an "older woman, younger man" couple instead of how it is in the comics.

I think they should probably have gotten an actor in his mid-30s to play Cyclops so his relationship with the nearly 40 Janssen looks more natural (either that, or they should have gotten a younger actress to play Jean Grey). Also, partly because of his youth, Marsden cannot even come close to matching Hugh Jackman's awesome on-screen presence and it's no wonder that the audience is left completely befuddled why Jean Grey would pick this lame-o kid (Cyclops) over Logan. As Heidi MacDonald of CBG and Pulse described it, "As is typical in careless portrayals of Cyclops (James Marsden), his character is so boring that he's missing for 2/3rds of the movie and you don't even care. His big emotional scene near the end of the movie drew laughs from the audience I saw it with."

But that's just fanboy nit-picking...the movie was great and I look forward to a second viewing.

Gene

As Heidi MacDonald of CBG and Pulse described it, "As is typical in careless portrayals of Cyclops (James Marsden), his character is so boring that he's missing for 2/3rds of the movie and you don't even care. His big emotional scene near the end of the movie drew laughs from the audience I saw it with."

I always thought Cyclops was pretty dull in the comic as well. This isn't completely out of character he is kind of a stereotypical anglo straight edge male lead. Of course the comic is able to flesh him out more but not that much. It's too bad they didn't get a better black actress to play storm, we could have a Storm led team orientated flick for X3. Halle is a good actress but she looks uncomfortable and out of place in this movie.

I like Famke a lot though, I don't care how "old" she looks she's an incredible hotty. It amazes me she is 38. Hell, i'd pick her over some of these teen sitcom/popstar queens ANY day of the week.

Also, James Marsden (Cyclops) is only 29 and when Jean & Scott are together in the film, it really does border on looking like an "older woman, younger man" couple instead of how it is in the comics.

Not to mention that she is looking her age and Marsden could still pass for 20. The first movie looked like "robbin' da cradle", and a few more sequels and it may become even more interesting. grin.gif

Not to mention that she is looking her age

Most 38 year old women DREAM of looking HALF as good as she does. She most definitely does NOT look her age. Yes she looks older than Marsden but I don't think she looks 38.

Hey, everybody's got their own opinion, and keep in mind, my comments were not meant as negative. 38 is hardly old, she looks great, but the point is: it's pretty easy to see the age difference between her and Marsden.

And as I stated before, it's even more evident because he looks younger than his 29 years.

Most 38 year old women DREAM of looking HALF as good as she does.

You're joking right? She looks great, but there are plenty of incredible-looking 35-40 year old women around. Go to an executive floor and check out the admin assitants or PR directors. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Yes she looks older than Marsden but I don't think she looks 38.

Oops, my bad...she's actually 39, born 1/1/64.

Hey, don't get me wrong, she looks great and younger than her age, but let's be honest - they either needed a younger babe and/or an older, more mature Cyclops (remember, Marsden was probably only 26 when X1 was filmed). The Jean/Scott relationship in both films was not even close to convincing, though it really didn't affect the overall quality of the movies given that Cyclops is essentially a non-entity in both films.

I always thought Cyclops was pretty dull in the comic as well.

I agree, Lowfyr, that Cyclops is somewhat one-dimensional in the comics, but an actor with more charisma and better acting ability could bring out his anguish and tormented past, as well as have the screen presence to be a convincing team leader. As far as Storm goes, the fanboys crucified her for acting like a "scared kitten" in X1...she does a better job this time around, but she's still far off the mark with her flat, American accent, diminutive size and lack of fiery energy.

Gene

I didn't realize they had different floor levels to the Mickey Ds where you work. It must be really special!

- Post Deleted out of respect for the mentally disadvantaged -

I didn't realize they had different floor levels to the Mickey Ds where you work. It must be really special!

- Post Deleted out of respect for the mentally disadvantaged -

What's wrong - cat got your tongue? Please bless us with more of your wit and intelligence. Without you we are truly lost around here.

I wouldn't want to write in those big, long words that would confuse you even more.

I can see you're more a "See Spot Run" kind of guy.