• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN # 1

23 posts in this topic

Is it true that pages are slowly on market yet ? I hear they are making the rounds. "Simply the Best" has them - no?

English please...and yes those pages are kinda cool thumbsup2.gif

No, not really. There's got to be some Gatesian comic geek out there that needs these more than they need a million bucks.

No original art has even got close to that sort of figure and panel pages are certainly not going to be the ones that do. No matter how important the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, not really. There's got to be some Gatesian comic geek out there that needs these more than they need a million bucks. Best in Census copies be damned, there are only one set of original art pages.

Ah yes, the old "Gatesian comic geek" canard. When are people going to realize that these people do not exist? The last I heard, the OA had been shopped around for a fraction of the $700k figure shown with no takers.

Is it true that pages are slowly on market yet ? I hear they are making the rounds. "Simply the Best" has them - no?

1077352-xxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

Mark doesn't have them, as far as I know. I did hear that the book sold to someone I know, for another complete book and a bunch of cash. It's still together, as far as I know. I have not seen individual pages on the market, and don't expect them to be for some time. But, we'll see.

If we're going to play the "anonymous game" that's fine. However, all of the players are known figures and it wouldn't be too hard to find out who is who. I heard first hand about the deal, though the details change depending on who you talk to about the deal and who was situated where, about pulling the deal off -- because one dealer feels that he got royally screwed. But yes, the book did change hands relatively recently in a trade and "bag of cash" deal - and most think that the person who traded the X-Men #1 was not smart for doing so, but that seems to be the current opinion of that person anyway.

From what I understand, the book is available, for an obscene amount, and every so often, calls are made to gauge interest...and so far, there have been no takers. I have learned that there is very little information that is not known or kept secret with these larger deals and I guess I'll take the subtle hint and not share them either. For anyone who really wants to know - PM people privately or go to OA gatherings. I have yet to hear anyone change the subject or ignore a question being asked face to face. But I do keep telling people that there is a really phenomenal book or graphic novel to be written about all of this...however, many people have their buying done for them and prefer to be kept in the background...and that simply has to be respected.

I had heard that the seeds of a deal were struck at the last S.D. con, and I spoke with one of the purported principles earlier this year for said he was negotiating to get the book. Has the book actualy changed hands since then?

Hate to bring up the money issue, but I've leared that "secret" deals keep the price lower on art because people take figures with a grain of salt (the thinking is that people will inflate figures to inflate the values of their collections). When I wrote the original art piece for the Los Angeles Times, I was pretty much limited to mentioning prices that could be confirmed by a public auction.

Alex Chun

Last I heard a well know dealer with a website had it although it wasnt on his site. The price was less then have of the 700k figure that was tossed around.

I heard Mark McDermott of 'Simply the Best' has it. Dont know how accurate that info is.

22 pages times $18K each (I think very reasonable) ='s 400K

1 Splash ...75K,...100K?

TOTAL VALUE = 500K

=============================================

PREMIUM ON THE BOOK COMPLETE? 75K

I think the book is worth 500K - 550K. And I think I was very conservative.

Then you should definitely throw some bags o cash at it and save yourself some sacks o change since it's apparently priced at less than $350K right now.

Then you should definitely throw some bags o cash at it and save yourself some sacks o change since it's apparently priced at less than $350K right now.

Apparent? To who? Not to me. What evidence do you have that it is priced at less than 350K?

Ditko ASM #10 book sold for 160K two years ago. X-Men #1 book will go for multiples of that.

Based on your conclusion (I saw no analysis) the pages are only worth 12K each. I think this is way too low.

Ditko ASM #10 book sold for 160K two years ago. X-Men #1 book will go for multiples of that.

Why? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Its the #1 origin book - Variable Positive

Its 2006 not 2003 - Variable Positive

The fan base of Spider-Man are comprable - Variable neutral

Kirby commands similar prices to Ditko - Variable neutral

Conclusion: The difference between a random issue of ASM (#10) and X-Men #1 is defintely a significant variation on a proven market sale. A premium of significant worth must be incorprated into the market value. A 200% premium seems justified when comparing a insignifcant complete ASM book with the #1 issue of X-Men.

Its the #1 origin book - Variable Positive – Right.

Its 2006 not 2003 - Variable Positive – For years this book is available for stupid money, I will said - Variable Neutral.

The fan base of Spider-Man are comparable - Variable neutral – Wrong – New X-Men fan base is comparable.

Kirby commands similar prices to Ditko - Variable neutral – Wrong again – Kirby/Sinnott on FF “could” be comparable to Ditko/Ditko on Spider-Man, but here we are talking about Kirby/Reinman.

Conclusion: The difference between a random issue of ASM (#10) and X-Men #1 is defintely a significant variation on a proven market sale. A premium of significant worth must be incorprated into the market value. A 200% premium seems justified when comparing a insignifcant complete ASM book with the #1 issue of X-Men. Please revise.

Conclusion: The difference between a random issue of ASM (#10) and X-Men #1 is defintely a significant variation on a proven market sale.

Random ASM? 893whatthe.gif

Why, #10 is the first appearance of Big Man & The Enforcers. You also learn the "real reason JJJ hates Spider-Man". Surely on the same scale as the intro/origin of the X-Men. stooges.gif

Obviously, I'm just kidding. But, I actually think that ASM #10 was one of the better issues of early ASM. Just no real significance to the Spidey mythos. confused-smiley-013.gif