• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Dealer Review #1 - Metropolis Comics

84 posts in this topic

Hi Steve, my appologies. I just assumed since all your other CGC 9.2 Timely's were 2-3 times guide on your website that this one seemed out of place at 1.14 guide.

I do believe you only paid $1000 for the book, but I know most major dealers try to double their money on their purchases. Pricing the book at $2100 (exactly double guide) would allow you to double your money, allow room for your 5% discount if an offer of $2000 came along and be in line with the pricing structure of all your other 9.2 Timelys. But I am glad my math is wrong and you are happy with the sale. We both win. You got full ask price (no discounting) and I feel I made an excellent purchase from you. I look forward to purchasing your other 9.2 Timelys at 1.14 guide from you in the future, perhaps at San Diego.

I'm sure you do have many books at 10-50% off, but I was refering to the quality books I am used to buying, not mid-grade Avengers in the 70's and the such, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I do feel the ask price on my books are justified, and here's why. I just sold more of my high priced DC Mile Highs to one of your largest competetors who CGC'd them and got mostly 9.6 and 9.8 grades. He just put them into the lastest Heritage auction. Heritage put some of them on the FRONT COVER of their newest catalog, seems like everyone thinks they are worthy, don't you?

The other reason my books seem priced beyond your reach goes back a few years when I offered you the Sensation Comics run of 56 Mile Highs. You offered me $100,000 for the run, it was my lowest offer. I sold the run 3 weeks later for $166,000.00! Quite a difference, don't you think? I don't think your offer was terrible, but I would expect you would want at least $200,000.00 for the set if you had got them from me, which would coincide with my theory of dealers trying to double their money on each purchase.

I guess we will see Steve. I have $70,000.00 more to spend next week in SD due to the sale of my overpriced books. If I am rejected by you and your staff in San Diego then I'd say I was right about you all along. Either way I'd be surprised to see any of your other 9.2 Timelys for sale at 1.14 guide, if so please hold them for me! Thanks buddy!

Timely

I just sold more of my high priced DC Mile Highs to one of your largest competetors who CGC'd them and got mostly 9.6 and 9.8 grades. He just put them into the lastest Heritage auction. Heritage put some of them on the FRONT COVER of their newest catalog, seems like everyone thinks they are worthy, don't you?

You owned that 9.6 Adventure 79? shocked.gif

The other reason my books seem priced beyond your reach goes back a few years when I offered you the Sensation Comics run of 56 Mile Highs. You offered me $100,000 for the run, it was my lowest offer. I sold the run 3 weeks later for $166,000.00! Timely

thats an informative anecdote.....especially to anyone here planning to sell quality books 'en masse'. I'm not surprised at the low initial offer of 100K. Or that you found a more motivated dealer to pay 66% more. What IS surprising is that Metropolis didn't match that new offer, or beat it. Or, that they didn't get together with the other dealer to split your deal at a that price....or at an agreed price somewhat lower.

What do you think happened? You seem to have managed to "beat the system!"

well, the way to beat the system is not really caring if you sell your items or not. If you keep them and you still like them, you win! If you sell them for a profit, you win! It was only a matter of time before i found an acceptable offer.

Timely

You would prefer I price a slow selling common issue of Young Allies at well more than it is worth in order to discount it. Interesting. I would prefer to just to price it at a comfortable number in the first place. And yes, I would price issues of other slow selling titles such as Kid Comics and Blonde Phantom the same way. Marvel Mysterys, Caps, Subbie and Torchs are a different matter.

The reason I would rather not deal with you goes back to the Mile High All-Flash that I bought from you eBay last year. Remember? It was the non-CGC graded issue. The one that you overgraded. I asked you about specific defects but only received vague answers. You indicated that the front cover was not as nice as the back cover but would not state why. Yes, that's the book. The same book I immediately returned to you. The same book you wouldn't refund my money on because you claimed it was not in the same condition was when you sent it to me. My fault. I should have known better. I have been warned not to send you money. Now I know better.

Come on Steve, you had the book for almost 2 months before you sent it back, your own partner Vinny agreed with me on it and had no answer to why you kept it so long.

Two of the previous owners recall the book and said they never saw that defect on the book. One of them even went so far as to say he has never seen any Mile Highs with subscription creases, and he has seen and owned far more than you.

I did not write about this disturbingly bad shake-down deal in this forum about your company, I thought this was behind us, move on already.

Timely

West

Yes, I do believe you were trying to rip me off. It was a book you didn't want to CGC because you know it had problems. The package sat unopened on my desk for 1 week because I was out of town. It was mailed back on the same day the package was opened by me.

Your claim that I had it for 2 months is a fantasy. I had to call you to ask where my refund was. If the book was not in the same condition as when you sent it, why didn't you bother to contact me. I had to call you. Bottom line, you didn't want to give me my money back.

As far as books that you have offered me, knowing that you would use my offer in order to shop your books to others, I always make sure that the price I quote is my very bottom price.

Steve

popc1.gif

pass me the popcorn...this is gettin' good!

You know, Boys... I was born and raised in Georgia, and I now reside in the Republic of TEXas, but in both places, we know how to settle little disagreements like this one! This mess can all be over, in less than five minutes, as long as both parties agree NOT to get "The Law" involved! wink.gif

Oh, and no biting... 893naughty-thumb.gif

-Joe

Not replying to Timely or Metro so hijacking Bachelor's popcorn to say...

Is this an ego trip between you two? One thing I really despise is hearing this type of point/counterpoint with over-familiar references as if we all are privvy to exactly what is going on. THIS kind of thing you take to PM - otherwise be very clear, very concise and explain the minutae so we all can really understand what you all are posturing about.

Not replying to Timely or Metro so hijacking Bachelor's popcorn to say...

Is this an ego trip between you two? One thing I really despise is hearing this type of point/counterpoint with over-familiar references as if we all are privvy to exactly what is going on. THIS kind of thing you take to PM - otherwise be very clear, very concise and explain the minutae so we all can really understand what you all are posturing about.

Eat my shorts, fool...........is that clear enough for you? blush.gif

Since Metropolis seems to be viewing this thread I have a request.

Please allow scans of CGC books that are priced $250 or higher (not the $500 limit that you have now).

I can understand not wanting to scan every $50 book, but I do want to buy several CGC books from you in the $250-500 price range. Since I can't return these books, I am buying them sight unseen (with no recourse). Yes, the are graded by CGC, but everyone knows that CGC will give a grade of NM to a book that some kid made squiggly marks all over (and called them distribution marks). Or the book could be horribly yellow and still get a very high grade.

I know I can ask you to decribe the book or get the serial number and call CGC myself. BUT I STILL LIKE TO SEE WHAT I'M BUYING.

Either that, or allow refunds on CGC books with a 10% restocking fee. This way if I do get a book that I am completely unhappy with, I can get most of my money back.

Thanks for listening.