• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Dealer Review #1 - Metropolis Comics

84 posts in this topic

i'm confused, aren't CGC graders not supposed to be in the comic biz anymore or just not supposed to sell CGC'ed books or submit them?

fascinating stuff. i know pre-metropolis, zarzulo wouldn't mind cutting a discount. i haven't tried lately.

I was a little unhappy with a mid-grade B&B 28 I bought from them a while back, but even in the grade I think it's in, it was a real nice deal, so I didn't send it back or complain. I just thought I had gotten a monster of a deal. (This was an ebay auction.) Actually, I saw pretty happy with some other auctions of cheaper books I won from them too. Haven't seen many (any?) auctions as of late though.

i'm confused, aren't CGC graders not supposed to be in the comic biz anymore or just not supposed to sell CGC'ed books or submit them?

fascinating stuff. i know pre-metropolis, zarzulo wouldn't mind cutting a discount. i haven't tried lately.

I was a little unhappy with a mid-grade B&B 28 I bought from them a while back, but even in the grade I think it's in, it was a real nice deal, so I didn't send it back or complain. I just thought I had gotten a monster of a deal. (This was an ebay auction.) Actually, I saw pretty happy with some other auctions of cheaper books I won from them too. Haven't seen many (any?) auctions as of late though.

All of Timely's transactions were from before he became a CGC employee last year. You can see that by the date of those old posts.

Overall I have had good dealings with Metropolis, they can seem a little "busy" for you at times, but NEVER had a problem or worry about being able to return a raw book - done that a couple of times and no problem at all, they took time in every way to get me a proper refund. And of course, their inventory is incredibly, extremely, deep.

I know some time ago Shield had a problem of some sort with them, which seemed too bad. But for all I know, it might be all forgotten, now.

My grade is a "B". I've only bought from them a couple times but the both went smoothly. Pluses: great inventory, Vince is customer service friendly, decent pricing compared to others I've seen. Minues: website, while decent, could use an upgrade (which is supposed to be coming), need more scans of books.

Overall I have had good dealings with Metropolis, they can seem a little "busy" for you at times, but NEVER had a problem or worry about being able to return a raw book - done that a couple of times and no problem at all, they took time in every way to get me a proper refund. And of course, their inventory is incredibly, extremely, deep.

I know some time ago Shield had a problem of some sort with them, which seemed too bad. But for all I know, it might be all forgotten, now.

I did. I don't do business with them anymore. Do a search for "crappy dealer, crappy attitude" to read all about it. Nothing has changed since then. My beef was with how Vincent handled/didn't handle a rude rep over the phone. Never a problem with Steven. It's ok though, really, there's unlimited places to buy funny books.

I've had nothing but good dealings with Metropolis. You're rarely going to get a deal on the price, but if that was the case, they'd have no inventory. In order to get the book you've been searching for, you have to pay a bit more to get it from them. However, I've been very pleased with their grading (I buy GA and pre-code only) and customer service.

My problems with Met had been with rude phone behavior and hit and miss grading on lower grade stuff, but their return policy is second to none and they have the greatest inventory bar none and they don't seem to get many complaints on high grade grading. Vincent seems like a really nice guy, friendly and informative, I'm not sure if I've ever spoken to Stephen. I don't know who the rude abrasive person was that I would deal with on the phone. It's probably the fact that I'm a low grade collector that makes it not quite worthwile for me. If I was a mid to hi grade collector I'd be most likely buying a lot of stuff from them. None of the problems I have with Met are deal breakers by the way, I would still recommend that people check them out, regardless of how I've felt in the past. One other point.. since they are the biggest, they're also a big target.

I've had nothing but good dealings with Metropolis. You're rarely going to get a deal on the price, but if that was the case, they'd have no inventory.

An excellent point, and one that people forget. Great books sell even when not discounted. When discounted, they fly out of the store. If Metro, Harley Yee, Mark Wilson, and other "expensive" dealers with great inventories sold at a discount, they wouldn't have great inventories for long.

Sometimes if you want a really sweet book, you just have to pay what the owner wants even if it is "above guide" (hell, it ain't like Bob Overstreet has a copy to sell for you at Guide price, so who cares what Guide price is?) or a multiple of Guide price.

I've had nothing but good dealings with Metropolis. You're rarely going to get a deal on the price, but if that was the case, they'd have no inventory.

An excellent point, and one that people forget. Great books sell even when not discounted. When discounted, they fly out of the store. If Metro, Harley Yee, Mark Wilson, and other "expensive" dealers with great inventories sold at a discount, they wouldn't have great inventories for long.

Sometimes if you want a really sweet book, you just have to pay what the owner wants even if it is "above guide" (hell, it ain't like Bob Overstreet has a copy to sell for you at Guide price, so who cares what Guide price is?) or a multiple of Guide price.

Good point.

I have a feeling that if Metro was pricing their material cheaply, I'd wind up paying even more when the actual buyer decided to flip their books on Ebay for a large profit.

No question these are the guys you want if your looking for the best of the best.

What did they find for me?

2 Action #1s [both unrestored]

a Detective #27

a Motion picture Funnies weekly #1

Famous Funnies Series 1 [impossible Book] A Gerber 10!

New comics #1

New Fun #1 and #6

Blue Beatle #1

Silver Streak #1

The Big Book of Fun Comics[impossible book] Gerber 9..

and so much more.....

When it is impossible to find, they are it!

No question these are the guys you want if your looking for the best of the best.

What did they find for me?

2 Action #1s [both unrestored]

a Detective #27

a Motion picture Funnies weekly #1

Famous Funnies Series 1 [impossible Book] A Gerber 10!

New comics #1

New Fun #1 and #6

Blue Beatle #1

Silver Streak #1

The Big Book of Fun Comics[impossible book] Gerber 9..

and so much more.....

When it is impossible to find, they are it!

There's absolutely no question about it - they can find anything!

I just picked up a Captain Marvel Adventures 71 7.0 Mile High. It was pretty decent deal. The grade seem spot on. They allowed me to do payments, so they are good that way. I have another 2 books on order, so I have to give them an okay. But like others have said, they have the books you want, you just have to pay for it.

Not sure which inventory you are looking at. I check Metro's website all the time, and see an awful lot of books sitting there week after week, month after month and even years. One book in their inventory has been there over five years, and that's even with the guide catching up to their price...

I don't buy a ton from Metro, but I have bought a Batman 71 raw 8.0, Batman 34 CGC 8.0 Crowley, Batman 45 6.0 Crowley and a few misc early silver age Batman's. Many years ago they sent me two Detective 44s to look at. No charge just send which everyone I didn't want back. They also sent me a Star Spangled 7 to look at but I passed on buying it. Overall, not too bad. If I had a ton of cash on hand, I would definitely talk to them about tracking down something for me.

Again, I am never too pro dealer, but overall, I have like metro.

Not sure which inventory you are looking at. I check Metro's website all the time, and see an awful lot of books sitting there week after week, month after month and even years. One book in their inventory has been there over five years, and that's even with the guide catching up to their price...

I'm not sure I follow your point? confused.gif