• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What ever happened to Phil Levine

63 posts in this topic

HOLY MACKERAL!!!! I thought I had seen everything until that instant. I was in a room with a very high ceiling with comic books arranged like they do in a library. Shelves from floor to ceiling with no more than 1 inch between the top of the books and the shelf above it. All were in alphabetical order. None were in plastic bags and all of them appeared to be Fine or better.There were multiples of almost all of the books

Thanks Phil; (thumbs u

I just love to hear these kinds of stories from the old days!

By the way, how many copis of Action #1 and/or 'Tec #27 was sitting in the piles upstairs? Also, based upon your collecting experience, is it true that the Centaurs and the early Fox books (especially in grade) were much tougher to find than most of the other GA books, or was everything relatively easy to find in those days?

Would love to get your feedback since most of the posters here were probably not even born or still in diapers back in the early 70's. lol

HOLY MACKERAL!!!! I thought I had seen everything until that instant. I was in a room with a very high ceiling with comic books arranged like they do in a library. Shelves from floor to ceiling with no more than 1 inch between the top of the books and the shelf above it. All were in alphabetical order. None were in plastic bags and all of them appeared to be Fine or better.There were multiples of almost all of the books

Thanks Phil; (thumbs u

By the way, how many copis of Action #1 and/or 'Tec #27 was sitting in the piles upstairs? Also, based upon your collecting experience, is it true that the Centaurs and the early Fox books (especially in grade) were much tougher to find than most of the other GA books, or was everything relatively easy to find in those days?

Would love to get your feedback since most of the posters here were probably not even born or still in diapers back in the early 70's. lol

I had been out of diapers for at least a few years. :sumo:

Thanks Phil; (thumbs u

That's alright....so was I!

No big deal though as we'll probably all end up back in diapers before we go to the big comic store in the sky. lol

Thanks Phil; (thumbs u

No big deal though as we'll probably all end up back in diapers before we go to the big comic store in the sky. lol

:whatthe: Full circle, eh? :whistle:

Thanks Phil; (thumbs u

Because of the scary pythons?

Jack

Hi Rich, In the early to mid 1970's I got a call from the late GREAT BRUCE HAMILTON who was a dear friend of mine and came to my house many times. He called and said "Phil -- Get on the next plane and fly to Houston, Texas. I just picked up a truckload of Golden Age Books and you can pick thru them and buy whatever you want". I called my wife from Newark Airport and said "Lenore, I am on my way to Texas to buy comic books" Like any wife she thought I was Crazy(and still does). I got in a cab in Houston and said to the cab driver " Get me to the Camelot Book Store quick -- I have to buy some comic books". Probably thinking I was just someone with a hangover he ignored me but got me to Camelot. When I arrived I met Willie Patterson --A great guy!!!!!!!!!!!!and his very competant staff in the most beautiful comic shop I have ever seen to this day. I said Willie --Where are the comics? He said UPSTAIRS.??!!?? I followed him and he said go up these staris and you will see them. I can't remember exactly but for some reason a winding staircase comes to mind. I went upstairs and HOLY MACKERAL!!!! I thought I had seen everything until that instant. I was in a room with a very high ceiling with comic books arranged like they do in a library. Shelves from floor to ceiling with no more than 1 inch between the top of the books and the shelf above it. All were in alphabetical order. None were in plastic bags and all of them appeared to be Fine or better.There were multiples of almost all of the books (MY KIND OF COLLECTION -- I LOVE DUPLICATES AS ALL OF YOU HAVE COME TO FIND OUT) The room was jam packed with comic books.

By the way -- back in those days for example if a book was $1.00 dollar in Good, It was $2.00 in Fine and $3.00 in Mint. AND............Unless it was crushed by a bulldozer and coverless everyone would say "believe it or not -- it's mint". The other person would say "but the spine is split and it has tears on the inside pages and a big round coffee cup stain on the front and back covers and the centerfold is detached and the rear inside cover has scotch tape.and the Palisades Park coupon is missing and someone cut out the address for Cloverine Brand Salve" The answer would always be "but believe it or not -- It is still mint --Look how old it is" Those were the good old days. But, You know no one cared anyway. If you paid $1.00 or $1.50 for the book or even $3.00. It seemed like it was all the same. No one knew or gave a about grading -- we just wanted the book. AND -- If a page was torn we would just tape it -- isn't that what Scotch Tape was for anyway??????????? It was very difficult for the oldtimers in the business to make the transition from a book we bought as "Pristine Mint" to actually be "Fair-Good --MAYBE". I am a member of Overstreet Advisory Committee. When we had our very first meeting there were about 50 of us at the three day simposium hosted by my pal Steve Geppi (By the way that's my extra Tie that I brought with me that Joe Koch is wearing in the picture --He doesn't own one. He is also my very best friend for over 40 years.) We were given 3 books to grade and mark the grade on a score sheet which was tabulated and the results given after lunch. NO TWO GRADES WERE ALIKE..

Okay, So I am in Camelot's upstairs Treasure Trove of UNTOUCHED BOOKS and I am making piles all over the place and as I was on the top rung of the ladder I had this feeling that I was being watched. I looked down and the largest python snake the world has ever seen was making it's way up the ladder. I wet and stained my pants. Before a word could come out of my mouth it seemed like an eternity. But....... I managed to start screaming and yelling and the guys downstairs were just waiting and laughing because they sent the snake upstairs to scare the living mess out if me and they did --literally.. Okay the joke was over and everyone was petting the snake as you wound the family dog. Little did I know he was the friendliest snake the world has ever known.

So, I bought boxloads of books and Willie and his crew packed and shipped them to New Jersey and I was on my way, after a trip to the bathroom to clean up, of course As Paul Harvey says --And now you know "the rest of the story" Phil Levine

PS: Yes Phil Levine really is paperpeddler and paperpeddlertoo.

Rich, Thanks for reminding me of that story. Now it is preserved for posterity.

Wow!

This thread is such a great read. Thanks

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Yes .....very cool. I'm glad you popped in Phil and gave us a little history and entertainment. I love hearing from some of the old timers. :)

*EDIT* Found it. (See quote in next post below. HTML turned off here.)

Watch more Google Video videos on AOL Video

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/levine-collection/1185605460/?icid=VIDLRV03

---------------------------------------------------------

The link is dead from the original thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1645658&fpart=1

and Bakertowne Collectables has removed it from their YouTube website.

I poked around a bit and couldn't find it anywhere on the internet.

I wonder what really happened between Bakertowne and Levine to make their deal go sour.

Bakertowne didn't get too far into the collection, mostly selling off only TV guides and Joe Bonomo,

(yes, the Turkish taffy guy) boxing memorabilia. They never made it to the comics, did they?

Anyway, here's the Scoop article.

Link to Scoop article

55481_126181_1.jpg

*EDIT* Found it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1645658&fpart=1

I wonder what really happened between Bakertowne and Levine to make their deal go sour.

Bakertowne didn't get too far into the collection, mostly selling off only TV guides and Joe Bonomo,

(yes, the Turkish taffy guy) boxing memorabilia. They never made it to the comics, did they?

Link to Scoop article

55481_126181_1.jpg

Thanks!!

*EDIT* Found it.

Link to Scoop article

55481_126181_1.jpg

Thanks!!

Let me echo a heartfelt thanks. I'm not sure I've ever seen such an intense 13 minute clip! Mr. Levine is quite the character and his collection is hard to believe if I had only heard or read about it...but seeing it in a whirlwind tour with him narrating full tilt is something else. I hope someone gave him some water after the video. Man, that was incredible.

I am a member of Overstreet Advisory Committee. When we had our very first meeting there were about 50 of us at the three day simposium hosted by my pal Steve Geppi (By the way that's my extra Tie that I brought with me that Joe Koch is wearing in the picture --He doesn't own one. He is also my very best friend for over 40 years.) We were given 3 books to grade and mark the grade on a score sheet which was tabulated and the results given after lunch. NO TWO GRADES WERE ALIKE..

I was at that meeting as well Phil and participated in the grading exercise. What suprised me the most was not so much that the grades were different on each book, but that the margin of difference was multiple grades. One book had a low of GD or so and a high of VF. It was insane. Not sure if some were just trying to make a point or not.

Hi Rich, In the early to mid 1970's I got a call from the late GREAT BRUCE HAMILTON who was a dear friend of mine and came to my house many times. He called and said "Phil -- Get on the next plane and fly to Houston, Texas. I just picked up a truckload of Golden Age Books and you can pick thru them and buy whatever you want". I called my wife from Newark Airport and said "Lenore, I am on my way to Texas to buy comic books" Like any wife she thought I was Crazy(and still does). I got in a cab in Houston and said to the cab driver " Get me to the Camelot Book Store quick -- I have to buy some comic books". Probably thinking I was just someone with a hangover he ignored me but got me to Camelot. When I arrived I met Willie Patterson --A great guy!!!!!!!!!!!!and his very competant staff in the most beautiful comic shop I have ever seen to this day. I said Willie --Where are the comics? He said UPSTAIRS.??!!?? I followed him and he said go up these staris and you will see them. I can't remember exactly but for some reason a winding staircase comes to mind. I went upstairs and HOLY MACKERAL!!!! I thought I had seen everything until that instant. I was in a room with a very high ceiling with comic books arranged like they do in a library. Shelves from floor to ceiling with no more than 1 inch between the top of the books and the shelf above it. All were in alphabetical order. None were in plastic bags and all of them appeared to be Fine or better.There were multiples of almost all of the books (MY KIND OF COLLECTION -- I LOVE DUPLICATES AS ALL OF YOU HAVE COME TO FIND OUT) The room was jam packed with comic books.

By the way -- back in those days for example if a book was $1.00 dollar in Good, It was $2.00 in Fine and $3.00 in Mint. AND............Unless it was crushed by a bulldozer and coverless everyone would say "believe it or not -- it's mint". The other person would say "but the spine is split and it has tears on the inside pages and a big round coffee cup stain on the front and back covers and the centerfold is detached and the rear inside cover has scotch tape.and the Palisades Park coupon is missing and someone cut out the address for Cloverine Brand Salve" The answer would always be "but believe it or not -- It is still mint --Look how old it is" Those were the good old days. But, You know no one cared anyway. If you paid $1.00 or $1.50 for the book or even $3.00. It seemed like it was all the same. No one knew or gave a about grading -- we just wanted the book. AND -- If a page was torn we would just tape it -- isn't that what Scotch Tape was for anyway??????????? It was very difficult for the oldtimers in the business to make the transition from a book we bought as "Pristine Mint" to actually be "Fair-Good --MAYBE". I am a member of Overstreet Advisory Committee. When we had our very first meeting there were about 50 of us at the three day simposium hosted by my pal Steve Geppi (By the way that's my extra Tie that I brought with me that Joe Koch is wearing in the picture --He doesn't own one. He is also my very best friend for over 40 years.) We were given 3 books to grade and mark the grade on a score sheet which was tabulated and the results given after lunch. NO TWO GRADES WERE ALIKE..

Okay, So I am in Camelot's upstairs Treasure Trove of UNTOUCHED BOOKS and I am making piles all over the place and as I was on the top rung of the ladder I had this feeling that I was being watched. I looked down and the largest python snake the world has ever seen was making it's way up the ladder. I wet and stained my pants. Before a word could come out of my mouth it seemed like an eternity. But....... I managed to start screaming and yelling and the guys downstairs were just waiting and laughing because they sent the snake upstairs to scare the living mess out if me and they did --literally.. Okay the joke was over and everyone was petting the snake as you wound the family dog. Little did I know he was the friendliest snake the world has ever known.

So, I bought boxloads of books and Willie and his crew packed and shipped them to New Jersey and I was on my way, after a trip to the bathroom to clean up, of course As Paul Harvey says --And now you know "the rest of the story" Phil Levine

Camelot - :cloud9: - my second home as a child.

And Willie always had kind words and good comics for me too !

Ever make it to the real pet store ?

I regret I never got to go there. But Richard has regaled me with tales of his time there. Must have been heaven.

I regret I never got to go there. But Richard has regaled me with tales of his time there. Must have been heaven.

Most of the early issues of my Detective and Batman collection came from

Camelot. I don't think I ever spent more than a weeks pay for a foot tall

stack of raw/unbagged/unboarded comics out of a wooden back issue rack

that always had that special newsprint smell. I seem to remember a long

narrow room that had the Marvel back issues, tight quarters and a

flimsy floor. I could buy long runs of just about any series from the late

'50s and early '60's for a quarter each.