• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 94 Multi-Mag Question

6 posts in this topic

A month or so ago there was an X-Men 94 on ebay in one of the sealed Multi-Mag packs that used to go out to grocery stores. I believe one of the other books in the pack was a Fantastic Four. There is now an X-Men 94 up with a Conan & Daredevil in the pack. Were these packs packed with different assortments or was it always the same 3 issues in each pack in a given month?

I can tell you that in the mid 80s Comic distributors would bag up leftovers and sell them to 7-11 and the such.My distributor started selling books in 1977 but don't know when he started the multibags. I don't think these were made directly in Sparta at the printers but were an aftermarket product so to speak. Many multibags from the time contain obviously circulated books unlike the few from the 60s I've seen that contained NM books.Marvel did sell some multipacks in the 80s but they were all themes-Star Wars,ThunderCats, GI Joe and the like. As I have mentioned in another post, some distributors made these empty bags available to their accounts so anyone with a heat sealer could put them together. Either today or twenty five years go.

The bagged books included numerous titles and companies. I have seen a copy of Action Comics and Detective in a sealed bag. I have also seen Thundercats #1-3 in a bag also. The books and examples on these are almost endless.

Tom

I've seen the newer after market packs your talking about, but I believe in the 1970s these were produced from the publisher especially for grocery store disribution. I bought a large lot of DC Multi Packs (with many multiples of each pack) from the same time period & each pack was grouped the exact same, which is why I assumed the bags were coded as "A-1" "A-2", etc. Unsure on how Marvel did it during the time period. I was suprised to see different books with the X-Men 94 & was wondering whether these could have been put together at a later date (after X-Men became popular) with the extra bags that have gotten out.

I used to pack up on those mult-packs in late 70's, mostly because a book store nearby carried them all the time, and I don't ever remember there being a set pattern to the selection.

The ones I know of were done by 3rd-party companies, using warehouse stock. Marvel/DC used to put out there own comic packs, and these were arranged with specific issues.