• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Labels

2 posts in this topic

I just picked up a CGC Graded comic and the label is a Maroon color with "CGC Modern Grade" at the top. I don't see this listed on their site. Did they change from this style to the current CGC Universal Grade?

I also had some other questions about quality maintained in the CGC cases. Is it best to Reholder comics after 7 years? Does the quality degrade during this process? Has the process for grading changed over the years? Is regrading worth looking into?, what if the grading goes down? (Is it better to have a true current grade or an outdated CGC Graded comic?)

Thanks

SB

I just picked up a CGC Graded comic and the label is a Maroon color with "CGC Modern Grade" at the top. I don't see this listed on their site. Did they change from this style to the current CGC Universal Grade?

This is the same thing as their "Universal Grade".

When CGC first started up, they were using a "modern" label for the newer books. However, they soon realized that 20 or 30 years from now, they couldn't still put a "modern" label on these same books since they would no longer actually be "modern"......so, they eliminated the modern label and just use the blue universal label for all comic ages now (golden age, silver age, bronze age, modern, etc.).

I also had some other questions about quality maintained in the CGC cases. Is it best to Reholder comics after 7 years? Does the quality degrade during this process? Has the process for grading changed over the years? Is regrading worth looking into?, what if the grading goes down? (Is it better to have a true current grade or an outdated CGC Graded comic?)

This has been discussed in depth in numerous threads. You can try searching for them in here or perhaps someone could be so kind as to post a link for you. I can't remember exactly where they were posted, but I'm sure somebody will remember and point you in the right direction.