• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading quiz - WDCS #7, 1941 (tricky?)

8 posts in this topic

This is real nice.

I going in at 9.4. I saw the corners, but this is a 60 year old comic and I don't think it will matter. Neither will the pencilling on the back cover.

Wouldn't be able to get past an 8.5 if it were a silver age, though because of the defects. But your right, this one is tricky because the defects though obvious, are few and the rest of the book is so sweet. So....where did you get it. Could be an interesting story there.

Wow...great looking comic! I'd say 9.2 minimum. Maybe 9.4? Excellent colors and clean covers.

But...dare I say this...there might be color touch on cover? Those four dabs on the sky blue area, just where the house wall ends?

I would say a 9.0. Each corner has a problem. A ding bottom left, a chip/ding top left, a fold or a bit of top paper loss top right and slight color loss bottom right. Also been looking at that sky area as Arty says. Hard to tell but the dot pattern is not maintained with the rest of the lighter blue when magnified and balanced. This is one of those judgements you really need to see the book to make.

but aside from the portntial touch, I would say a 9.0.

And very very pretty!

The front cover _does_ have some color touch elsewhere (left as an exercise), but I am not sure about the spots. Anyone?

Actualy almost impossible to tell from a scan. Need to see the reflectivity and overall "look". Areas that MAY be touched are in the green window at the bottom left and the window sill also on the left.

Could you take a similar high-res scan of that green area below DD. Color seems too "smooth" at some places.

There seems to be a lot of low number WDCS for sale at the moment?, Didn't you post a picture of different copy just recently? (The one with that neat hand-written date-stamp) Did you pass it and bought this instead?

There also seems to be an increasing number of CGC graded copies on ebay...possibly reincarnation of Disney Comics in US is stirring up the market?

Grass

I've had this copy for a while. I did consider the other copy last

fall (VF unrestored) but the price was a little high ($900 or so)

and I didn't think the difference was worth it (did buy 2 other

copies from the same set). To me, this #7 is an example of how

a restored book can still be very attractive.