• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BEST BRONZE AGE COVER?

111 posts in this topic

I never understood the appeal of this book. What's so great about it? The perspective? The angle? Is there something special about the rendering that I am missing? confused-smiley-013.gif

Nostalgia plays a huge part in this cover's appeal I think. Following on only a couple of years after Gwen Stacy's death the shock value, and therefore lasting memory, was huge.

A great cover artisticaly? No.

A great cover in terms of storytelling and drama? Most definitely.

A great cover in terms of storytelling and drama? Most definitely.

Not to mention that Marvel and DC had totally different styles back then, and it's stupid to try and compare an ASM cover against a HoS one. The tone, style and content is totally different, as it should be.

Personally speaking, I don't get off on that old B-grade horror schlock (especially the "kids hiding" drek 27_laughing.gif) and would rather have a colorful, action-packed Marvel or DC superhero cover anyday.