• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20 years of the Marvel New Universe

25 posts in this topic

There were some other titles that didn't go too far at this time period that were in the regular Marvel universe. Anyone remember 'Dakota North' or 'Comet Man'?

BTW, there's a good overview of the New Universe including it's history & politics at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Universe

Was sorting boxes this week and I did come across my copies of Comet Man blush.gif....I believe that was the series written by Billy Mumy of Lost in Space, wasn't it? It was definately not as bad as NFL Superpro and Mercs.

Was sorting boxes this week and I did come across my copies of Comet Man blush.gif....I believe that was the series written by Billy Mumy of Lost in Space, wasn't it? It was definately not as bad as NFL Superpro and Mercs.

Yup, he's listed as co-writer -- I had no idea he did Lost in Space.

I just pulled my copies too and was suprised to find it listed as a 6-issue limited series in the Marvel Checklist. I always though it was just a regular series that tanked.

It also looks like I never picked up issue 6, so I'll have to keep my eye out in quarter bins so I can finish the series -- better 20 yrs. late than never wink.gif.

They also have Sienkiewicz covers and Fantastic Four apperances -- definately better than Merc & Kickers.

Wow, Merc. foreheadslap.gif Forgot all about that one. I bought & read the first 3 or 4 issues...actually I think that was the only New Universe title I pursued past the first issue. At the time I thought it was entertaining enough, but looking back, the title was a screamingly obvious clone of Punisher, with a dash of the Titans' Deathstroke thrown in (he had a divorced wife & young son who would often be in danger). Merc came complete with his own Grim-'N'-Gritty mid-'80s slogan: whenever he made a crucial split-second decision, he would say to himself "Decision Made. Whatever Happens, Happens." Even the art looked like a poor man's Klaus Janson...

...and this was my "favorite" of the titles! You guys are right, the one with the superpowered football team was really scraping bottom. Pretty hard to believe they are bringing ANY of these guys back.

I just started reading some New Universe books in December, and I'm really enjoying them. Star Brand, in particular, is fascinating. Were fans supposed to like Ken Connell, or Mark Hazzard, or Jack Magniconte? Those guys did some pretty rotten things, imo.