• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make your own OA?

15 posts in this topic

The Thor recreation looks like a photocopy that the guy just inked. I have no problem with recreations that come from noted artist or the original artist. I have a Terry Moore Strangers in Paradise cover recreation that terry himself personally did for me (we kind of know each other). I love it I also love that I saved the 1000 dollars that Terry would have probably charged me for the original. I also commissioned Creig Flessel to make a cover recreation for me because the original doesn't exist anymore ( infact there are only three known copies of the book that the cover belongs to). So recreation is OK it can save money. But They need to be from someone noted or you are just wasting your money.

I wouldn't buy one personally. I'm just saying there are a LOT of them being done. I do know that a couple of board members have actually done them - DiceX and comicwiz- for other board members (OldGuy maybe?)

I don't see a problem with it if it's properly noted. Fan art and recreations are common. He's not trying to pass it off as an original Kirby so what's the big deal?

I have no idea. I guess people aren't familiar with re-creations?

I don't see a problem with it if it's properly noted. Fan art and recreations are common. He's not trying to pass it off as an original Kirby so what's the big deal?

Didn't the guy selling the clocks with comic art on them in here get in trouble?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Dunno -- but there is a difference in selling fan art that is hand made and selling something that is mass produced with mechanical reproduction. There was a thread about this about a year ago. I forget what the final verdict was.

Dunno -- but there is a difference in selling fan art that is hand made and selling something that is mass produced with mechanical reproduction. There was a thread about this about a year ago. I forget what the final verdict was.

At the very minimum these recreations are the lesser of two evils in an enforcement sense. Copyright holders look down on mechanical reproductions in a big (five alarm) way.

Speaking of fan art....check this out. Why someone would pump their kid up like this....what's the dad going to say when no one bids. My guess is that mom and dad each sign up to ebay with seperate emails and have a bidding war!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6249959099&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1

I've made quite a few recreation in the past few months. (Click on link in sig if interested). I've never attempted to sell them as I do them for my own enjoyment. Plus, like others have said, I'd doubt I'd get anything for my recreations as I'm a "nobody."

On a similar subject, I've commissioned a Transformers artist to not only recreate one of his published covers, but re-envision it. I like the idea of getting not just a copy, but an enhancement by the original artist.

I've made quite a few recreation in the past few months. (Click on link in sig if interested). I've never attempted to sell them as I do them for my own enjoyment. Plus, like others have said, I'd doubt I'd get anything for my recreations as I'm a "nobody."

Your recreations are very well done. thumbsup2.gif

I'm curious as to what tools you use to accomplish this. Can you enlighten us?

Thanks

Thank you. smile.gif

Its not a complicated process. I recreate the published artwork via a scaled grid. I scan the comic cover and print it out with an 10x15 grid overtop it. I use 11"x17" bristol stock and lay out a 10x15 grid in pencil which helps me pencil the cover layout. Then I ink it with art pens paying close attention to the details of the original. At times, I'll use the computer to assist in making logos and corner boxes to finish it off.

The mock Marvel Cover stock is the only time I use mechanical reproduction. I designed the empty cover stock layout on my computer and print them off as needed. While my copier/printer at work which can handle 11x17 stock, bristol doesn't run through it so at those times I use a slightly lighter stock.

Recreations take me anywhere from 2-4 weeks as I can only work on then an hour or two at a time. At this time, I'm wrapping up ASM Annual 21 (the wedding issue) which is more computer assisted than any of the other recreations I did.