• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HG JIM run sells on Comiclink

26 posts in this topic

A good post Keith, especially about your FF Annual experiment (which I've read your column multiple times in CBM).

That said, I'm assuming when you say you are against CGC (but a supporter of third party grading), then you mean that you don't like the way CGC grades a book (i.e. structure only). If this is what you mean, then I agree.

That said, you can't please all the people all the time, so it's not really fair to say you are against CGC, you just wish they would grade certain qualities of a book differently. This is entirely different then saying you are against CGC because you feel that CGC doesn't / can't grade as well as you or other dealers. And while I hear that argument from many dealers, you of course know the answer yourself since you said it in your article, it's impossible to be impartial with your own books.

A good post Keith, especially about your FF Annual experiment (which I've read your column multiple times in CBM).

That said, I'm assuming when you say you are against CGC (but a supporter of third party grading), then you mean that you don't like the way CGC grades a book (i.e. structure only). If this is what you mean, then I agree.

That said, you can't please all the people all the time, so it's not really fair to say you are against CGC, you just wish they would grade certain qualities of a book differently. This is entirely different then saying you are against CGC because you feel that CGC doesn't / can't grade as well as you or other dealers. And while I hear that argument from many dealers, you of course know the answer yourself since you said it in your article, it's impossible to be impartial with your own books.

Steve, CGC do take PQ,QP and other factors into the grading equation, don't they? MAybe just not to the same extant that others would....ie. they seem to go easy on marvel pre chipping, or other print defects where others do not...

Roy.

....the 9.6 is OW and is slightly miscut. FINALLY, people are actually looking at the book and not the grade.

I wonder how people will bid on the book below, although I am sure I recall a "love those miscuts" thread on these boards. Eye of the beholder with no two (or four) eyes the same - somebody will love this book I guess. I assume from this 9.4 that the "cut" has little or no influence on the CGC grade.

Fantastic Four 69

FINALLY, people are actually looking at the book and not the grade. When graders are having to get out 10X magnifying lenses to find flaws and overlook glaring ones like transfer stains or off centered regisrty, something just isn't right. Looks like we're heading back to grading as an art vs grading as a science.

Keith;

Excellent point here and one that I have mentioned quite a few times here on the boards. thumbsup2.gif

In some cases, it seems as if CGC is more concern about miniscule flaws which you cannot see unless you hold the book up at a certain angle to the light or as you say, can only be seen with a 10X magnifying glass. Yet, at the same time, they seem to ignore obvious flaws which can be seen from 10 feet across the convention floor. screwy.gif

Well, like they say, grading is still sometimes more of an art than science. Others might say, however, it's really nothing more than a follow through of their long range business plans. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Especially since their particular grading criteria certainly won't hurt the revenue side of their associated PCS company, even at the expense of encouraging undetectable and undisclosed resto work on books. : frustrated.giffrown.gif

Steve, CGC do take PQ,QP and other factors into the grading equation, don't they? MAybe just not to the same extant that others would....ie. they seem to go easy on marvel pre chipping, or other print defects where others do not...

Roy.

They do not take PQ or QP into the grading equation except maybe at the very, very top end (i.e. 10.0,9.9 and 9.8).

In other words two books with the exact same flaws, one with a slightly yellowed cover, miscut, date stamp and Cream to Off-White pages and the other with White pages and perfect production could grade EXACTLY the same (i.e. CGC 9.4).

Roy.

They do not take PQ or QP into the grading equation except maybe at the very, very top end (i.e. 10.0,9.9 and 9.8).

In other words two books with the exact same flaws, one with a slightly yellowed cover, miscut, date stamp and Cream to Off-White pages and the other with White pages and perfect production could grade EXACTLY the same (i.e. CGC 9.4).

Don't know if i agree. I've spoken to them on notes for some of my books even in the 8.5 range and PQ (acc to them) can have an effect on the grade.

Roy.