• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weirdest Scam Ever...

66 posts in this topic

Unbelievable. Sorry your first post has to be about something so distasteful, lhcomics.

I actually feel better knowing I was scammed out of the dough since I now have closure. A part of me kept thinking that Charlie was in the hospital and the comics would show up in a week or two or three...

Needless to say I'm going to leave some very nasty messages on his machine...893censored-thumb.gif

I wonder how many guys he hit...

lh:

Where are you located? Store owner or show/mail order?

Your comment about Charlie being a "nice guy" is right on. He's knows just the right thing to say to gain your trust. "God bless you, Mr. Colabuono" was the trump card. angel.gif Nobody ever said that to me before.

Thanks for posting.

--Gary

If this is systematic, shouldn't some person or institution with the email addresses of all major dealers be alerted to this scammer?

I guess Overstreet would have a mailing list of their advertisers which would be a good start.

If Moondog has his address from the previous transaction (or phone number), shouldn't it also be relatively simple to have him arrested? Wire fraud is a federal crime isn't it? I'm not a lawyer, but is there a reason for the low amounts requested? (Other than to make it not worth pursuing by the victim.)

Ummm... you people seem to me to be talking about a swindler, and a very cunning one - he makes a convincing pitch, knows how to make people think they're the smart ones in the deal, and doesn't rip people off for enough to make them too vindictive in going after him. I think he could have a nasty side if he reckoned he'd get away with it.

Weird scam but a good one. Gives you just enough info to be plausible. Buddies up to you by saying he was a returning customer, even referrencing the transaction (as if you could remember one small transaction from years ago) and a request for a small odd amount. I mean, who asks for $49 or $51? Pretty clever. But as they say, if it sounds too good to be true...I hope someone catches up with this guy though. But with such small amounts I doubt the local authorities are going to care, felony or no. Perhaps if you can find others he scammed and get together and there's enough of you, you can go to the police then. I mean one person out $51 isn't much, but if you have 40-50 people it will get more attention.

I was contacted by this guy too. Similar story, except the books he found were at an auction and didn't sound like such a rip, just a solid buy... I'd throw in an ashcan or two to get the action rolling against him...

Seriously though, post his phone and address info and let's give him the royal treatment.

lh:

Where are you located? Store owner or show/mail order?

Your comment about Charlie being a "nice guy" is right on. He's knows just the right thing to say to gain your trust. "God bless you, Mr. Colabuono" was the trump card. angel.gif Nobody ever said that to me before.

Thanks for posting.

--Gary

every panhandler i've ever refused to give money to says "God Bless You." the first couple of times you hear it, it takes you aback. then you realise it's just icing on their sympathy pitch and you can dismiss it without losing any sleep over it

folks who work "god Bless you" into daily conversation (other than a sneeze) and are not clergy are usually in the most need of redemption...

There is a board member who ends EVERY SINGLE ONE one of his posts with "god bless". gossip.gif

Here's the info I have on Charlie. Western Union requires a driver's license or other government issued ID to pick up money, but they don't require an address, so I'm not sure if that's valid. Heck he may have a phony ID for all I know...

Charles Scott

4431 14th Avenue

Rock Island, IL 61201

Regarding the "God bless" comments. I've been told "God bless you" from many people. After I sneeze even. But no one has ever taken the tone that Charlie did with me. I felt I was truly helping him out. His"God bless you, Mr. Colabuono" was so heart felt and genuine that I was truly moved.

What a con man.

Anyway, I will be contacting the Rock Island police. I'll report what they tell me.

--Gary