• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updated Me Page - Movie Hype Idiocy
1 1

81 posts in this topic

Oh, and teach me to spot restoration! What does a tear seal look like? feel like? Is there an obvious way to tell? What about cleaning? Spine unrolling? I have so much to learn.

Hi Joanna.

First - I do thank you for understanding. I will take your questions about restoration to a more suitable board and will post to ya here when it is done.

That's what I reacted to. The reason is simple, and it's personal: I love my comics, I just truly, truly do. And it hurts to sell them. I guess I didn't like being told that I no longer loved them, just because I had to say good-bye to them. See? Just a personal button that was pushed. I doubt you meant that, or intended for your posts to be read that way, but that's how me (and my issues) saw it. I'm sorry, because obviously I've now hit your buttons, and I didn't mean to.

God I feel awful! I too have had to sell some of my treasured books for plain old "have to live" reasons. Yes, it DOES hurt to sell them. A lot of my pre-code horror was simple VG but I think you can appreciate that a plain old VG or a G from many years ago - you with the DC (I confess to a weakness for DC silver over Marvel) and me with my horror - tpo have to part with them? Not the nicest feeling.

Exactly! Condition has nothing to do with it, because it's about the stories, the books, the love you feel for the very deep-down basic stuff that comics mean to all of us, regardless of our personal tastes. That's the difficult part. I tell myself "I can always rebuy them when I have the money" but that only helps so much because that's the unknown future, not the here and now. Here and now, the books are going out the door.

But again, it's my choice. No one is forcing me to do it. So perhaps that's where the button comes in: if I love them so much, how can I continue to say good-bye? It's all just mind stuff, but that's exactly the sort of thing that ends up with posts that say something innapropriate, or weren't communicative. I didn't mean to come down on you, pov. We don't have to agree on everything, but I have no wish to label or villify. Just be who you are, and I'll do the same.

-- Joanna

I could take some after-hours consulting and make far more per hour than selling funny books

I didn't know one could profit so well from "doom and gloom" consulting? You must be a guidance counselor with your unique outlook on the future wink.gif

You da man, CI! shocked.gif

Gene - you and CI should both take a lesson or two from the "banana box" bulk comic auction seller, take pictures of your boxes, a couple goodies or two and unload in a bargain bulk deal...set the reserve at $15000 and start the bids at $0.01 - get the thrill bidders all over it... wink.gif Remember to plagarize some of that seller hype and "cheese" that those guys use too...throw in somthing about a repo man coming to take your car awayand having to sell...gets 'em everytime tongue.gif

Or you can always consign to guys like me and bronzebruce who make the time to post on ebay or sell on the side... grin.gif

Then Darth says he has bid on a DVD auction of mine - a DVD - not even a comic - and he will "haggle" over the price - then says I should be "scared to death" of him? And nothing from you. (and I will say it made my shoulders and stomach torgue to block Darth - I have never done anything remotely like that before but for some reason Darth felt that a dvd auction was fair game because of my opinions. Jesus - that because of my opinions ( or Darth's perceptions of my opinions) someone could just say "I will bid and then haggle."? And you find that acceptable? (I truly wish I could retract that but ebay does not allow it. Best I could do was remove Darth form my banned list.)

Now I feel bad frown.gif I would have bought that DVD, you know, and at the price I won it for. I'm not a total jerk especially on eBay where you could neg me for such behavior. I was using that to make a point (I guess not clear enough) about how you were comdemning (in my impression from your posts) dealers for selling comics and I just lumped you in with the diehard bargain hunting comic constiuents that feel "entitled" to the best deal they can get at the expense of the seller. And I don't mean a reasonable deal here...the kind where it's "the closest to FREE as you can make it, otherwise you are just a scummy seller ripping me off and I'll tell that to everyone who wants to hear me".

I never said you should be "scared to death" of me - I don't posture or make physical threats here (maybe challenge comic wiz to a comic box bench-off at most tongue.gif ) - the words were "I can understand that you would be SCARED TO DEAL with me"

If you will let me I will re-bid on your DVD, I'll gladly pay up when and if I win smile.gif Who can't use a Sopranos first season on DVD? I may start using that kind of talk around here more often wink.gif

Hi Joanna, although this side conversation you are having with povertyrow may be "off-topic", I can totally relate to your feelings about selling your collection. Like you, I used to have such a hard time selling my books because I wanted to keep everything! I finally started to sell on eBay in 1998 and got some OK but not spectacular results. I took a few years off and didn't sell again until 2001 when I received my first batch of books from CGC. As like you, I prefer to collect DCs so I started to sell off my Silver Age Marvels but I decided to sell some DCs such as Superman 199, Flash 175, Green Lantern 59 and 61. My Marvels have done phenomenal but I have been disappointed with my DCs. Now, as I have basically decimated my Silver Age Marvel collection, I have to make the tough decision regarding which DCs to sell. Luckily, I have been hoarding them so I have plenty of multiples to choose from! However, I have 3 books that I remember owning as a kid and I doubt I would ever sell them even though I have multiples of some. They are Chamber of Chills 1, Phantom Stranger 15, and House of Mystery 189. Can't believe I remember all these books but my eyes light up every time I see them. I guess you do the same when you are making the difficult decision of deciding which one of your beloved DCs to sell! frown.gif

True - you have been pretty charitable when it comes to Bronze and Silver Age high grade, so you are capable of positivity...now start sharing the love.....

Join the CGC love fest and we could all get a nice "orgy cover" going for scottish...some 10.0 books in the shot....some avatar pics from old man and shuley...work it baby, yeah!

Greggy -- You've got it exactly. It makes me wish I'd speculated a bit more, buying silver Marvel or something else that wouldn't hurt to sell. As for the DC's, I sold the oldest ones first and now I'm basically looking for those in the best condition. I put up some Flashes yesterday, and some of them are in remarkable shape (especially for MY collection, which was focused on reader copies of everything). But I'm not sure The Flash sells all that well on ebay, from what I've seen. Besides, if a book isn't slabbed, it tends to get only the barest fraction of guide unless it actually is in G or thereabouts, and then the guide price is low enough that it approaches it. But in order to slab one has to have money and time. And although I sent some books off to CGC, it still gives me the willies to lock them away in plastic. No more reading!

-- Joanna

If you will let me I will re-bid on your DVD, I'll gladly pay up when and if I win Who can't use a Sopranos first season on DVD? I may start using that kind of talk around here more often

I removed the block on your name yesterday. If you try and cannot bid let me know and I will make sure it was done correctly.

I never said you should be "scared to death" of me - I don't posture or make physical threats here (maybe challenge comic wiz to a comic box bench-off at most ) - the words were "I can understand that you would be SCARED TO DEAL with me"

I can't argue there! All I can offer in my defense is your name! Scared to Deal and Darth - I guess the Deal and Darth merged into Death (hey! weirder things have happened.) Apologies there.

Oh, I wish I was buying Spider-mans in the early 1990s except Fantastic Fours. Although I prefer the FF much better, financially I would have done much better and wouldn't have to touch my DCs. Oh well, even the rich collectors sell off their beauties once in a while! frown.gif

Oh, I wish I was buying Spider-mans in the early 1990s except Fantastic Fours. Although I prefer the FF much better, financially I would have done much better and wouldn't have to touch my DCs. Oh well, even the rich collectors sell off their beauties once in a while! frown.gif