• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Submission Prices ...cheaper?

38 posts in this topic

While that would be nice, that wouldn't really be feasible at this time. Otherwise we would already have various CGC sites across the US already.

Part of CGC's service is that you are dealing with specific graders, particulary Steve Borock, Paul Litch (for the moderns) and Chris Friesen (for the restoration check). Unless they can find a way to clone Steve (and Paul and Chris) there's little chance that you will ever see multiple grading sites.

Kev

While that would be nice, that wouldn't really be feasible at this time. Otherwise we would already have various CGC sites across the US already.

I think I'm missing the analogy, since the big difference would be to get around Canada Customs delays and speed up deliveries. Being in a different state really doesn't qualify for the kinds of problems Canucks have to endure.

On another note, you really don't need a Canadian CGC per say, just a Canadian CGC Depot, where a mass-shipment of CGC comics can be sent (and be fast-tracked through Customs as an inter-company shipment), and then disbursed from there.

I know of a few card graders that do that, and I think PSA has a distro on the East Coast.

My point was really that Canada, while a great market for CGC, is not that as big as some of the regions in the US that would benefit from having a local CGC grading centre.

Customs is really the problem of the customer isn't it? If you want to use an American service then Canada customs is really your concern.

Re: The Depot.

A good idea, and I know it's been discussed by dealers here and that the idea has been raised.

The problem with Canada is that while the population isn't huge, the country is HUGE, and there would have to be multiple receiving depots.

If you had one depot in Ontario (probably the largest market) then the cost for someone in BC to send to a site in Toronto or Ottawa would be nearly as much as it would be to ship from BC to Florida. As some of you who ship within Canada know in most cases it is more expensive to ship items within Canada then it is to ship to any site in the US.

The other issue would be - who would run a shipping depot? Would it be a shop/dealer or a separate business set up by CGC in Canada?

If it's a shop then it's a question of who has access to the books before they are shipped to Florida and when they return to the depot. The operation would have to be completely free of even the idea of scandal as presumably someone would have to prepare the shipments from the Depot to CGC proper, and then from the Depot back to the customer.

Kev

Customs is really the problem of the customer isn't it? If you want to use an American service then Canada customs is really your concern.

That equation works two ways, and I guess it depends on how valuable roughly 10% of the US market is to a company. I don't send books down, mostly because of the Customs hassles, and I know many others feel the same.

I'm sure CGC won't worry about that end of the deal until submissions start declining.

Modern Submission Prices ...cheaper?

I was talking with Steve (Borock) at the NY Con this weekend and he mentioned something about a Convention Season Special for Modern submissions, starting last weekend and lasting through the end of the summer. I guess that is what these lower prices reflect. Theoretically, prices are due to go back up in the fall.

Gene

That equation works two ways, and I guess it depends on how valuable roughly 10% of the US market is to a company. I don't send books down, mostly because of the Customs hassles, and I know many others feel the same.

I'm sure CGC won't worry about that end of the deal until submissions start declining.

The real problem is sending down big $$ lots to CGC via fed-ex, as they will hold up the shipment if a US customs form isn't filled out. However, the form is easy to complete and there are really no hassles. As long as you get the packages returned via fed-ex, there are no customs issues at all. At least...not for me! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As I went out for lunch I was thinking about this...

Your local comic shop who is also a CGC authorized rep is more or less your local CGC shipping depot as they will include your lot in with other books that are being shipped down. They deal with the Customs people when they are shipped down and the charges (if any) when they are returned from CGC.

A depot would only really work if all customers - Canadian CGC dealers and customers who want to submit directly to CGC - sent their books to the Depot to be logged and then shipped to the office in Florida.

Kev

Post edited to note that...doh, my head is a bit fuzzy today (blame it on my allergies), and I realized that you do not have to go to a ding dong con to get the discount.

CGC Convention Season Special

Posted by CGC at 5/5/03 4:25:45 PM

Starting May 2nd, 2003 to September 1st, 2003, CGC will have special pricing on the Modern Tier.

Currently the Modern Price per comic book is $19 with a two-book minimum. Starting May 2nd, 2003 thru September 1st, 2003 the convention season special for the Modern Tier will be as follows:

2 to 9 Modern comic book submission: $16 per book ($3 saving per book)

10 Modern comic books or more: $15 per book ($4 saving per book)

Take advantage of this special at the following conventions CGC will be attending between May 2nd, 2003 thru September 1st, 2003:

Big Apple Convention: May 2nd and 3rd. New York, NY

Motor City Comic-Con: May 16th, 17th and 18th. Novi, MI

Wizard World East: May 30th, 31st and June 1st. Philadelphia, PA

San Diego Comic-Con: July 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th. San Diego, CA

Wizard World Chicago: August 8th, 9th and 10th. Rosemont, IL

Get your books CGC'd!

Does this mean you have to bring your books to the covention in person to get the discount?? 893whatthe.gif