• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adhesive sticker removal? Wonder Bread crew got any ideas?

14 posts in this topic

OK, the results are in that Wonder Bread can remove scuffs. Now what advice is there for the removal of adhesive stickers? I've picked up a few comics from a discount store where the square price sticker is stuck on the cover.

I figure that heat (from a hair dryer?) might be a good way to soften the adhesive a little prior to trying to peal it off. Any better ideas?

Wayne

The following info is not an endorsement of the procedure:

There is a product available at craft stores ie: Joannes, Bed Bath and Beyond, and so forth, called Goo-Gone....if you apply this carefully with a cotton swab and let it sit for several minutes the sticker will peel off will little effort. Be careful as not to over apply the stuff as it could remove cover ink also...it is a very tricky procedure... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh yeah...another product that will do the same thing but may actually be a little safer is Un-Du....

Its probably not worth the effort as there would likely be discoloration underneath anyway even of you removed the adhesive... assuming it was there for a while.

I agree for a sticker in place for a long time. However, the stickers I'm faced with have been in place for a month at most.

Wayne

The following info is not an endorsement of the procedure:

There is a product available at craft stores ie: Joannes, Bed Bath and Beyond, and so forth, called Goo-Gone....if you apply this carefully with a cotton swab and let it sit for several minutes the sticker will peel off will little effort. Be careful as not to over apply the stuff as it could remove cover ink also...it is a very tricky procedure... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh yeah...another product that will do the same thing but may actually be a little safer is Un-Du....

Yes, I've got some Goo Gone handy. Hadn't thought about allowing it to penetrate the sticker. I did try some of it on a very sharp edge (not quite razor sharp) one other time long ago but as you forewarned it did indeed smear the cover ink. I think I'll give the swab approach a stab. I'm only looking at comics that cost me a buck or two, but I'd like to save them from the store stickers if I can!

Wayne

Now what advice is there for the removal of adhesive stickers?

Here is what I wrote in the Tape Removal thread.

Note this is for scotch type tape but may work on your stickers as well. Zero impact to the covers. Just remember flammable!!

"Use VMP Naptha. Perfectly safe on covers. Dries completely with zero residue. No dimensional shifting. It is good for scotch type tapes. Also amazing for ink transfer stain removal.

It is QUITE flammable and not good to breathe so have plenty of ventilation and no flames or sparks around.

Basically you want to soak the taped part in the Naptha for 10 - 15 minutes. The tape SHOULD by then just lift off. If the tape is old and there is a residue (brownish stain) get a cotton swap and wet it in naptha and roll it over the stain, picking up a bit at a time as you go. With patience and PRACTICE it is an easy process. But as in all restorative techniques, practice on junk first."

Regarding Goo Gione - it can also leave a slight stain in the area where it is applied to paper. It doesn't seem to evaporate 100% and leaves a bit of residue behind when used on papaer, at least in my experiences.

Regarding Goo Gione - it can also leave a slight stain in the area where it is applied to paper. It doesn't seem to evaporate 100% and leaves a bit of residue behind when used on papaer, at least in my experiences.

Yup...that's why I recommended the UnDu also...I think the GooGone is citrus based and the UnDu is alchohol based.... kos.gif

And just as a side note: props to povertyrow on his knowledge on this and the wonderbread procedure....893blahblah.gif

Yup...that's why I recommended the UnDu also

i have not tried UnDu yet but saw it on the net. Will try and buy. Always willing to experiment.

Also notiverd your prps to me but was not me that suggested the wonderbread so must pass on that one! smile.gif

GooGone is citrus and sometimes it both stains and also leaves a citrus smell. A friend used it to remove all the price stickers from his action figure collection.

Tom

GooGone is citrus and sometimes it both stains and also leaves a citrus smell. A friend used it to remove all the price stickers from his action figure collection.

Tom

Yes - it works well on "solid" objects. I know some bookbinders who love it for removing junk from leather bindings. Use it myself to remove junk from computers. Have also used on clothes because they will be washed after treatment, eliminating the residual.

Using it on paper, which is absorbent and where there is no intent to "wash it out" the way you can with a solid object or clothing definitely will leave a stain.

Also notiverd your prps to me but was not me that suggested the wonderbread so must pass on that one! smile.gif

Ok...I decided to activate a search instead of relying on my feable memory and HERE is the originating WonderBread post..... insane.gif