• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS Payment Scam

18 posts in this topic

My cousin was selling an X-Box on ebay. The buyer sent her payment from "United State Postal Service Money Order." Similar to the old BidPay, she got an email that said payment had been processed, was on the way and she should ship the item within 48 hours.

She is an ebay rookie, so she called me to ask what this was all about. Obviously it's a scam, but I do have the guy's information (at least the "Ship To" information.) Anyway to nail this guy based on what I have below?

This is the email my cousin received:

#######

Congratulations! The order placed by the buyer of your item: Mr Tim Sheldon to have a United States Postal Service branded Money OrderSM $250:00 sent to you as payment for the item: Xbox w/2 controllers, 12 games and 4 demos has been successfully processed and has consequently been APPROVED. The financial details of the transaction are stated below:

-----------------------------------------------------

*FINANCIAL DETAILS*

(NOTE: All amounts are in $)

-----------------------------------------------------

Item Site : Ebay.

Item Number : 8256695339

Item Description : Xbox w/2 controllers, 12 games and 4 demos.

--------------------------

TOTAL : $250:00

--------------------------

==================================

The Money OrderSM will be delivered to your contact information below, Please verify that the name and address (As entered by the buyer) are correct:

[My cousins personal info redacted]

If there is an error in the name or address, Please email our representative at uspscustomercarecenter@consultant.com

======================================

***ATTENTION***

The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 48 hours of recieving this Payment Confirmation Notification and get to our Costumer/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shipment Verification.

The Money OrderSM will NOT be dispatched or get to your resident until the shipment has been verified. This measure is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer interests and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities.

****PLEASE NOTE***

Due to the fact that United States Postal Service processes thousands of orders daily, United States Postal Service RECOMMENDS contacting the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order directly. This ensures speedy verification of shipment as well as prompt dispatch of Money OrderSM. Send shippment tracking details to : uspostalapproval_letter@post.com

Once shipment has been verified, You will receive a " ORDER DISPATCHED" email from United States Postal Service informing you that the Money OrderSM has been dispatched. Included will be the TIME and DATE payment is to be delivered.

Order Status And Informations:

Order Number:

P.O 4563826900

Auction Payments Order Available

Available

Order Placed

February, 03, 2006

Order Status

Money order Available

Money Order Approved

Money Order Confirmation Notification

Billing Information:

Processed successfully

Card Type

MasterCard

Card Number

5***********5643

Exp. Date

4/2007

Name on Card

Mr Tim Sheldon

Street Address

20 Brewery Gulch Ave.

City,State,Zipcode

Bisbee, AZ, 85603

Country

USA.

Services Purchased:

Online Payment

Total Amount posted to card

$258:00

Auction Payments Fee

$8:00

Money Order Amount

$250:00

Shipped by

FedEx Courier Service

Purchased Item Information:

Auction site

Ebay

Item Description

Xbox w/2 controllers, 12 games and 4 demos

Item Number

Seller Information:

Name

Street Address

City, State, Zipcode

Country

USA.

Phone Number

------------------------------

Email

Dear XXXXXX,

Your money order is ready, Parcel will be delivered to the above address upon receipt of the shipment tracking number and confirmation.

This order has been approved and will be send to the above address in 3-5 days. You CAN NOW send the items to the buyer and send the shipment tracking number to us for verification.

NOTE :

IF WE DONT RECEIVE THE SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER, YOUR DELIVERY WILL BE STOPPED .

Thanks you for using United States Postal Service Money Order Payments® ExpressPaymentSM. We look forward serving your Online Money Order Payments® needs in future.

Wow. Jacking with the US Postal service to pull a scam is pretty stupid. foreheadslap.gif

You could use "right click/properties" to view the email header and where it originated from. And you could find out who owns "post.com", since that's where the reply "uspostalapproval_letter" email link goes. http://www.post.com (But it's probably a bogus dead-end)

I would think the US Postal authorities would be really interested in seeing what you have. thumbsup2.gif

Wow. Jacking with the US Postal service to pull a scam is petty stupid. foreheadslap.gif

You could use "right click/properties" to view the email header and where it originated from. And you could find out who owns "post.com", since that's where the reply "uspostalapproval_letter" email link goes. http://www.post.com

I would think the US Postal authorities would be really interested in seeing what you have. thumbsup2.gif

I reported it to ebay spoof, and I wanted to report to the USPS because you'd think they would be very interested in someone appropriating their name and logos for a scam (The actual email has USPS logos, etc.)

(The scammer is so stupid, note that the USPS Money order was being sent via FedEX. foreheadslap.gif )

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on the USPS site except complaint forms that really didn't match up with what this is....

You probably should contact USPS.That would be a Federal offense this guy may be attempting.As far as FEDEX goes,I believe that USPS does contract their services for guaranteed overnight global delivery,although I'm not positive.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend fo jesus) thumbsup2.gif

The stupidest part of all? The auction is still running for another 5 days! makepoint.gif

He contacted my cousin and wanted her to end the auction early. He sent about 4 emails within an hour begging her and said that it was for his son, his "mum" just died, etc. etc. Being a softie, somewhat naive to the ways of scammers, and new to ebay, she said okay but she couldn't figure out how to end the auction.

She called me to ask about it and I immediately smelled a rat. I told her not to end the auction.

Contact Darthdiesel. Carl IS a postal inspector. and will go all Chuck Norris on this guy's [embarrassing lack of self control] if he's messing with your sister.

thumbsup2.gif Thanks, Dan.

I'd love to see a scumbag like this get busted. cloud9.gif

Id NEVER ship anything until that money order was cashed. Trust no one.

Apparently, they are riffing on how BidPay (Western Union) used to send confirmation emails when a check was on the way.

I used to ship all the time based on those emails... I never waited until the check arrived because I knew it was legit.

I really do miss BidPay... it was a welcome alternative to PayPal. sorry.gif

Wow. Jacking with the US Postal service to pull a scam is pretty stupid. foreheadslap.gif

You could use "right click/properties" to view the email header and where it originated from. And you could find out who owns "post.com", since that's where the reply "uspostalapproval_letter" email link goes. http://www.post.com (But it's probably a bogus dead-end)

a whois serach on post .com shows

REGISTER.COM, INC.

Domain Name: post.com

The results below are provided by REGISTER.COM, INC. (whois.register.com)

The data in Register.com's WHOIS database is provided to you by Register.com for information purposes only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or related to a domain name registration record. Register.com makes this information available "as is," and does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic mail, or by telephone; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that apply to Register.com (or its systems). The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Register.com. Register.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

Registrar Name....: Register.com

Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com

Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: post.com

Created on..............: 04 Nov 1998 00:00:00

Expires on..............: 03 Nov 2006 00:00:00

Registrant Info:

NJDomains, Abuse Contact: abuse@mail.com

Gerald Gorman

33 Knightsbridge Rd.

Piscataway, NJ 08854

US

Phone: 9086960929

Fax..: none

Email: abuse@mail.com_gerald.gorman@att.net

Administrative Info:

Gerald Gorman

33 Knightsbridge Rd.

Piscataway, NJ 08854

US

Technical Info:

Gerald Gorman

33 Knightsbridge Rd.

Piscataway, NJ 08854

US

Domain servers in listed order:

udns1.ultradns.net

udns2.ultradns.net

Whois-Services: 64269d97-9829-453d-8586-bae9d791c248@whois-services.com

An update on this scam...

I forwarded all the emails to the Postal Inspector as advised.

But the best news is... the scumbag is in such a hurry to received the X-Box, he sent my cousin a prepaid FedEx shipping label that cost him $25. The destination is Lagos.

Per my instructions, my cousin is sending him a box stuffed with newspapers and nothing more. The scammer is paying $25 to receive a box of old newspapers. devil.gifyay.gif