• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

any 9.8's

31 posts in this topic

Anyone have 9.8's with spine stresses on them (whether they break color or not?) Just curious because the spine seems to be THE main factor in super high grades. I just want to see if any of them made the grade with ANY spine stresses. Scans? Thoughts?

I've got a chromium Spider-Man #1 (marvel collectible classics: spider-man #2) that's a 9.8.

As close as I can look at it, there are no stresses. i'll take another look when i get home and post a scan if there's anything questionable.

my guess is that a stress would put it to at most a 9.6? A stress that results in an actual crease would drop it to 9.2 perhaps? I don't know...

I've got a chromium Spider-Man #1 (marvel collectible classics: spider-man #2) that's a 9.8.

As close as I can look at it, there are no stresses. i'll take another look when i get home and post a scan if there's anything questionable.

my guess is that a stress would put it to at most a 9.6? A stress that results in an actual crease would drop it to 9.2 perhaps? I don't know...

I look through a 10X loupe for spine stresses. I think CGC does this too. im just not sure if theres a chance at a 9.8 IF and ONLY if the spine nicks DO NOT break color. Ive been trying to figure this out for a while because Im only collecting 9.8s of GI JoEs, so i can usually tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8.

I have alot of 9.8's and none have a spine stress. I have 9.6's with one spine stress.

I can put scans up if you'd like.

Sometimes you need to look under magnification to see them, (non color breaking spine stresses) and they wont show up on any scan. If you have a 10X jewlers loupe, go through the books again and im sure youll find a few 9.8s with tiny micro stresses. I know...I have a lot of free time. 27_laughing.gif

That's actually the same model Jeol electron microscope I used while finishing my PhD!

It's also the first one that comes up under google images with the search "electron microscope." 27_laughing.gif

The electron microscope I've used at school to examine mineral thin sections is much less extravagent...

After looking through al of the 9.8's I have I have to conclude that there is not a single spine stress on any of them (I have an 8x loupe). A few of the 9.6's I have look as good on the spine but most of the defect are at the corners. I have an IM #55 thats 9.4 with 2 tiny spine stresses on an otherwise perfect book.

I have a CGC 9.8 with one very small NCB spine stress. I still feel the grade is justified.

Im in complete agreement with you. If theres one tiny micro stress and nothing else wrong with the book, it SHOULD qualify for a 9.8. There seems to be this myth that if there are ANY spine stresses whatsoever on a book its automatically a 9.6 or below. If theres more than one, fine. If its a large stress or even noticeably breaks color, then it should be a 9.6 or less. There would be a heck of a lot less 9.8s if CGC automatically dropped the book to a 9.6 for the tiniest spine stress.