• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Holy Terrible Super Bowl Officiating!

367 posts in this topic

How about Roethlisberger's time out call with 0 ticks (more like -2) on the clock? What about the "phantom hold" that even Hall of Fame bound John Madden said was a bad call? The latter would've seriously changed the outcome of the game. If you don't believe this, your head is too deeply stuck in the sand.

Who's stuck where?

The Seahowks were 5-17 on third-down conversions . . .

That's not how you win football games sumo.gif

Is this thread still going on? 893whatthe.gif

It's over. Yes it sucked that bad officiated potentially changed the outcome of the game. But it's over.

It wasn't poorly officiated, it was poorly played . . . grin.gif

And just FYI, Jason Whitlock is calling for a federal investigation of a possible point shaving plot involving Jerramy Stevens and Mike Holmgren.

Yes. The Seahacks were that bad.

Did you come on here and say the same thing about people suspicious of Ewert? Look, I could care less who won! I don't have a dog in the fight! I don't think I've ever seen a Seahawks football game until yesterday! Again, I'm a fan of "sport", and since you've avoided my two points (basically undisputable; look at those plays again) I don't know what else to say.

For what it's worth, I think Pitt still would've won the game; they'd have stepped up even moreso. I just hated how it was called, and so do most people with an open mind.

Ever hear of Vegas odds? poke2.gif

And just FYI, Jason Whitlock is calling for a federal investigation of a possible point shaving plot involving Jerramy Stevens and Mike Holmgren.

Yes. The Seahacks were that bad.

Did you come on here and say the same thing about people suspicious of Ewert? Look, I could care less who won! I don't have a dog in the fight! I don't think I've ever seen a Seahawks football game until yesterday! Again, I'm a fan of "sport", and since you've avoided my two points (basically undisputable; look at those plays again) I don't know what else to say.

For what it's worth, I think Pitt still would've won the game; they'd have stepped up even moreso. I just hated how it was called, and so do most people with an open mind.

Ever hear of Vegas odds? poke2.gif

I'm not saying there weren't any bad calls made. (?) But, I think the calls that everyone is so up-in-arms about were calls that were nearly IMPOSSIBLE to definitively distinguish one way or the other.

The "low block" or whatever it was that they called was completely bogus, but it was SO infinite in its stupidity that there is virtually no way it could be construed as "cheating" on the part of the officials.

I think people are just so gung-ho about finding some great NFL conspiracy that they are forgetting that when plays like that are happening, they're happening fast. The officials WILL screw up from time to time. That being said, the Seahacks lost not because of a phantom holding call and a blown "illegal block", but rather because their clock management stunk, Hasselbeck reverted to his mediocre form, and Stevens couldn't (or WOULDN'T?!?!?!) catch the ball.

One last thing:

For everyone I may have gone overboard with, please accept my apologies. Whether we agree or not on what happened, there was no reason for it to be contentous. Stress, frustration, and an hour of sleep will do that to a fan though. flowerred.gif

I'm glad to see this. Your posts until now have been overflowing with embarrassment.

I knew you were better deep down than that, and you've redeemed yourself a bit.

Meanwhile what JC said to Chrisco was totally uncalled for.

Yet I have no such delusions that he'll make up for that.

Instead I fully expect to see him label me as a Russian Maffia apologist/Steelers FANBOY

and use a 27_laughing.gif graemlin at the end of his statement.

One last thing:

For everyone I may have gone overboard with, please accept my apologies. Whether we agree or not on what happened, there was no reason for it to be contentous. Stress, frustration, and an hour of sleep will do that to a fan though. flowerred.gif

I'm glad to see this. Your posts until now have been overflowing with embarrassment.

Instead I fully expect to see him label me as a Russian Maffia apologist/Steelers FANBOY

and here i was thinking you were a consigliere in the Detroit Mafia. what else explains all that free time you have to post scans and photoshopped imagery?

confused-smiley-013.gif

One last thing:

and here i was thinking you were a consigliere in the Detroit Mafia. what else explains all that free time you have to post scans and photoshopped imagery?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm part of the Missouri mafia. Those poor 1985 Cardinals never saw it coming.

One last thing:

confused-smiley-013.gif

oh my GOD! You're Don Denkinger, aren't you!?

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

One last thing:

confused-smiley-013.gif

oh my GOD! You're Don Denkinger, aren't you!?

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

We LOVE ol' Don here in KC... cloud9.gif

Sure the refs made some bad calls

There is a difference between making a bad call, and having three game-changing calls made against you.

The MVP for the Steelers were the officials in this game. Hines Ward has nothing on those guys.

Feel free to visit Seahawks.net and go to the message boards. We are being inundated with fans from other NFL teams who agree that the officiating was clearly biased against us.

I dont like the Seahawks or the steelers so I have no bias. Its not even worth discussing. The Steelers were given that game by the refs...END OF STORY. Its a shame not only for the Seahawks but for the Steelers who will never hear the end of it even though they are the supposed "Champs." Im sure they would have prefered to actually win the game and not be handed the win. Sorry story for the NFL.

Sure the refs made some bad calls

There is a difference between making a bad call, and having three game-changing calls made against you.

The MVP for the Steelers were the officials in this game. Hines Ward has nothing on those guys.

Feel free to visit Seahawks.net and go to the message boards. We are being inundated with fans from other NFL teams who agree that the officiating was clearly biased against us.

I dont like the Seahawks or the steelers so I have no bias. Its not even worth discussing. The Steelers were given that game by the refs...END OF STORY. Its a shame not only for the Seahawks but for the Steelers who will never hear the end of it even though they are the supposed "Champs." Im sure they would have prefered to actually win the game and not be handed the win. Sorry story for the NFL.

Well, there you have it. 38% of the nation's viewing public and 100% of this message board's hermaphrodite population think the game was poorly officiated.

One last thing:

I've redeemed myself a bit...is this in the eyes of these Boards? Oh goodie, a virgin laden paradise awaits my good deeds afterall.

How could it be improved?

Very simple.

If you're going to call ticky-tack fouls, call them on both teams. Seattle D-line was held several times, if the Locklear hold was the standard by which these officials call the foul.

If a play looks remotely close in the last two minutes of the either half, have the booth take a quick look at it. Its the SuperBowl for crying out loud...at least give the play the benefit of the doubt.

If a new rule is in place (no horse-collar tackling, like the one that broken T.O.s leg last year), enforce it when it obviously happens.

Just call the game evenly. No more, no less.

what i meant to say was what steps could be taken to make a game called fairly? They need better officials for one -they should be held to a higher standard of accuracy!

Some people have suggested having full time officials, who spend the offseason honing their skills instead of working 'real jobs', would be an answer.

Others want accountability. Officials never have to account for their actions to the media or teams. Personally, I don't know if this would work...it might make them more tentative about making the tough calls if they have to worry about justifying their actions afterward to the public. Nor do you want every judgement call subject to review or challenge, or the average NFL game would take 4+ hours.

Human error is a given. Tough calls have to be made. I don't pretend to suggest being an NFL referee is easy, but the general sentiment is that officiating this year has been pretty shoddy.

I really don't know, its up to the NFL to figure it out.