• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BYRNE, MILLER or MCFARLANE?

FAVOURITE "RUN"?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. FAVOURITE "RUN"?

39 posts in this topic

Maybe you ran this poll at the wrong time. After people seeing X2 there is bound to be a heavy bias towards the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne X-Men stuff. grin.gif

Unless of course this is your favoured winner. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe you ran this poll at the wrong time. After people seeing X2 there is bound to be a heavy bias towards the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne X-Men stuff. grin.gif

Not me.......Miller DD's all the way! I hope that wretched excuse for a movie didn't ruin people's perceptions and taint the Miller stuff.

It's my favourite "run", but then again......I really liked HULK 314-319 as well. I suppose I should have included a HULK "run" in the poll.......Should there have been a MATRIX option? Are we talking about COMICS or MOVIES? Or are we really talking about the correlation between CGI and CGC? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not me.......Miller DD's all the way! I hope that wretched excuse for a movie didn't ruin people's perceptions and taint the Miller stuff.

I don't think something like a MOVIE could actually "taint" the Miller stuff. His run on DD was nothing less than AMAZING. Byrne defined the X-MEN, and MILLER defined DAREDEVIL. Who would you say DEFINED the HULK and SPIDEY?

Who would you say DEFINED the HULK and SPIDEY

For Spider-Man, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's work is unsurpassed.

Hulk is much harder to pin down but I personally like the David/Keown run.

I would actually say that the Lee/Romita(Sr) team defined Spidey as he is today. While Ditko's work was tremendous, Romita was the first to draw Spidey and his cast the way they are seen today.

I would actually say that the Lee/Romita(Sr) team defined Spidey as he is today

Thats your biased take on it because you are a big Romita fan. grin.giftongue.gif

Big John himself has admited that Ditko was THE Spider-Man artist and defined the character.

As for today's renderings, whose style do you think Bagley's USM most resembles, Ditko's or Romita's?

good thread, but i hate to say it...but miller wins hands down easily. he did more for the title than anyother title/run in question. i understand that X-Men was a title in reprints, but GS X-Men 1 and X-Men 94 did lift the run, but DD was a dying run, until miller came along and gave a rebirth to the character and the run......still unmatched today by some. laugh.gif

I love the Ditko run, but it was Romita's era that propelled the character into the #1 character spot at Marvel. Jazzy Johnny prettied up the series and defined the look of the character and the series (and spin-offs) until Ron Frenz came onto Amazing over a decade later with his neo-Ditko style (which didn't last very long before it evolved into neo-Kirby), all of which paved the way to McFarlane (sometimes known as son of Ditko). Ditko's run is more like the primordial stew from which all ideas for the strip sprang from.... Romita's run is more defining.

Of the three listed, I would have to go with the Claremont/Byrne X-Men. I still love the Miller DD's mind you, but I feel that there was a lot more to that X-Men run. Miller's run is still pivitol, but a VERY close 2nd.

Other great runs that haven't been mentioned... Byrne's FF (232-293) and Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (21-64)

Kev.

Although I reallu love Miller's work on Daredevil, it's pretty safe to say that Claremont/Byrne's work on X-Men is some of the greatest ever, and stands up there with the best from any era.

So I voted for Miller's initial DD run out of the choices given, but no way would these 3 choices be in my top 10 of all time across all companies. Ahead of these, I would put (in no particular order)--

1. The Spirit post-war years (December 1945 to 1952 or so)

2. Harvey Kurtzman's Frontline Combat (qualifies as a "run;" it is his vision)

3. Harvey Kurtzman's Two-Fisted Tales (ditto; up until John Severin took over)

4. Harvey Kurtzman's MAD 1-23 (ditto on the vision thing)

5. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

6. Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons' Watchmen 1-12

7. Alan Moore's Miracleman 1-16

8. O'Neil & Adams Green Lantern / Green Arrow 76-89

9. Roy Thomas & Barry Smith's Conan

10. Miller's later "Born Again" DD arc

I'd also be tempted to rate Adams' Deadman, Englehart & Rogers' Batman (Detective 471-476), Steranko's Nick Fury, Gaiman's Sandman 1-75, Wein & Wrightson's Swamp Thing 1-10, Goodwin & Simonson's Manhunter (Detective 437-443) and Lee & Kirby's Fantastic Four 48-102 ahead as well, but that's just me... 893blahblah.gif

Cheers,

Z.

I'm w/ Zonk on this one. Voted for Miller's DD, but would include any of the following on my list of fav's (no particular order):

-Gaiman's Sandman "Seasons of Mist"

-Moore's Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Miracleman (heck, anything Moore does is gold!)

-Kirby /Lee FF (Surfer saga's)

-Ennis's Hellblazer "Dangerous Habits"

Actually, now that I think about it, if there was one story that I got to read again for the first time, it might just be Preacher. I don't think any single story has just blown me away like Preacher! I was out of the hobby when this was first done, so I read the whole story in TPB format. I couldn't buy them fast enough. I never had a clue how much insane fun a comic could be until I read it.

Oh, and did I mention V for Vendetta? wink.gif

Chris