• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Action #1 ADDED TO CENSUS

119 posts in this topic

the dentist hasn't broken his out !!!

good point. where is that copy anyway's? it hasn't been slabbed?

No, the Church copy of Action Comics #1 has not been slabbed yet and will not be slabbed for the foreseeable future.

Based upon what I've seen in the marketplace, the majority of the primo GA books have yet to be slabbed. Not so with the SA whereby virtually all of the known high grade copies have probably already been slabbed.

I guess this just goes to show that the majority of the HG GA collectors are part of the older generation who just doesn't see the need for slabbing and basically are more interested in the actual books themselves. The HG SA collectors on the other hand, appear to be much more a part of the CGC generation and seems to derive a large part of their enjoyment from knowing they have the highest or near highest graded copy of a particular book.

The Dentist purchased the MH Action #1 directly from Chuck?

I didnt say that.

I believe J.S was the original buyer.

Its been years but im gonna try to find that artical

Yeah, I was pretty sure that the Dentist purchased it from Snyder.

But I have to wonder whether you and many other forum people don't consider heavily enough that there may be more nice copies out there unslabbed than anyone realizes. I personally remember going to the Phil Seuling conventions in New York in the early 1970's and seeing copies of Action 1 and Detective 27 at quite a few dealers tables, including multiple copies at some of them.

But when a copy of Action 1 sold in the early 70s for a couple thousand dollars, making national headlines, the consensus view at the time seemed to be that there were only a handful in existence. confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess this just goes to show that the majority of the HG GA collectors are part of the older generation who just doesn't see the need for slabbing and basically are more interested in the actual books themselves. The HG SA collectors on the other hand, appear to be much more a part of the CGC generation and seems to derive a large part of their enjoyment from knowing they have the highest or near highest graded copy of a particular book.

Yes Lou, we know. HG GA collectors are the purist keepers of the faith, and HG SA collectors are just slimey nouveau riche who don't really even like comic books. sorry.gif

And yet, how many times did the various Church books change hands in the pre-CGC era? Hint: I bet as of 1997, virtually none were owned by the guys who originally purchased them from Chuck. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Think about this, by the time Action 1 hit several thousand dollars, many copies had already traded hands - I remember talking to Howard Rogofsky in a shop once and know he dealt a few himself, and he was just one dealer - there were already many dealers by the early 70's - and this was before a) the higher prices flushed more comics out of attics and b) any of the major pedigree collections came to light. Again, I don't see that there are zillions of copies, but I guess that there are quite a few, I guessed maybe a hundred before, and maybe some really nice ones tucked away. This is a vast country.

the great Danny Dupcak who owned many copies and had a bunch on his wall behind him in his Oversteet ads estimated with certainty that there were 200 copies in existence. That number sounds about right. Nothing is all that rare, just in HG.

whether 200 is too many, Ive always thought 50 was way too low.

Ask yourself this -

If you had a book that is worth over 25K and didn't plan on selling, would you want someone flipping through it to assign a grade?

No, me either.

There are many more Actions out there than we see in the census.