• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 20 COVERS OF THE COPPER AGE!

394 posts in this topic

Warlock 5 did have some great covers also... had forgotten about them. Beauvais I think. This one hasn't aged so well though insane.gif Looks like that singer Pink - which is to say not too sexy.

I just scanned in a bunch, I'll post them one at a time. First, my favorite from the Elektra Assassin run. This book was practically an Elseworlds story compared with her Daredevil appearances up till then, and that's what makes it great. Miller and Sienkiewicz haad so much fun and it shows.

Elektra4.jpg

Mage was my favorite book of the 80s, probably. To me, it really peaked with issue #8, which was in the exact middle of the 15 issues, so that symmetry also appeals. With the addition of Sam Kieth to do inks and colors around #6, it really got amazing. This cover is one of my all-time favorites. The sweet pastel gouache, the drama, and the deco Grendel popup. It's got the hero, the villain, the mentor, and the 2 soldiers, one of whom is perpetrating a sly joke.

Mage8.jpg

This issue was fun. Someone copped topless shots of She-Hulk tanning on the roof of the Baxter Building and she set off after them. This issue probably informed quite a bit the tone and style of the current She-Hulk series.

FF275.jpg

What does a tan do for a green woman, anyway? Get forest green?

And this one caused quite a debate amongst us kids at the time trying to figure out if it was a photo, a painting, or what. Plus, it wasn't Byrne, it was one of the production guys, Elliot something, who later became an assistant editor or editor.

FF268.jpg