• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would CGC grade a perfect comic but is mis-wrapped?

8 posts in this topic

ASM #120 NM LINK

I have an Amazing Spider-man #120 in Perfect NM 9.4, but is mis-rapped by a least 1/4" in length. If I did send it to CGC, how do they see printing errors like this and distributor ink stains? Are they considered defects? I hate sending what I think are NM or higher comics and coming back either VF/NM 9.0 or many times NM- 9.2

Here is a link to the comic I have up on ebay, let me know what you think?

I've seen worse HG miswrapped books posted here before...so I don't think the defect is too detrimental (if at all) as far as the final grade... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've seen a wrap like this on a CGC 9.8, so they must not take much off for it. Borock made a statement in the Comics Buyer's Guide a few years ago that he thought most comic collectors didn't care much about cover wrap.

I disagree with him, but I'm also not sure yet how much of a weight it should have on grade. I know I'd much rather have a 9.0 with a few spine stresses than a 9.8 with 1/8" of miswrap like your Spidey 120 exhibits; I usually don't buy any copies anymore with more than 1/32" miswrap.

Distribution Ink, Printer's Creases, Mis-Cuts,etc. don't appear to have much (if any) influence on the final grade.

And here's why I believe they can't put too much weight on these manufacturing defects.

BECAUSE:

They don't downgrade a book with a scribble in pen on a book. One persons arrival date (arrival code) is another kids "fun with crayon day".

I see the problem CGC would have; what is a really distribution mark and what is "writing on a comic book".

Therefore, if they don't downgrade a book for post manufacturing "distribution defects" why downgrade a book for an error during the manufacturing process. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif