• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with this Silver Surfer #6?

9 posts in this topic

I've owned two copies of this book. The first I bought off the stands and now this copy. This one has white pages and a clean back cover. The thing I noticed on both copies are those "spots" across the bottom of the book. Anybody got any ideas of what they are?

1105057-ss6.jpg

1105057-ss6.jpg.ddc5717597512263bda01cf9f3ebca4e.jpg

These aren't holes, but look more like smudges where the gripper, or something grabbed them while the ink was still wet and smeared it. I looked with a magnifying glass and there is no tearing of the paper at all. I've looked at a couple of more #3's and they all have this. I've never seen it on a #4 issue, but always on #3. Does anybody have a #3 without this on the cover?

By the way, divad, nice call on my issue #3. I did not even see that crease on the BRC until I looked at it with a magnifying glass. It is not that prominent on the book itself. It's amazing how a scan will bring out every little detail. 893censored-thumb.gif

These aren't holes, but look more like smudges where the gripper, or something grabbed them while the ink was still wet and smeared it. I looked with a magnifying glass and there is no tearing of the paper at all. I've looked at a couple of more #3's and they all have this. I've never seen it on a #4 issue, but always on #3. Does anybody have a #3 without this on the cover?

By the way, divad, nice call on my issue #3. I did not even see that crease on the BRC until I looked at it with a magnifying glass. It is not that prominent on the book itself. It's amazing how a scan will bring out every little detail. 893censored-thumb.gif

The gripper "marks" manifest themselves from very light smudges which you have here all the way to actual tearing and piercing. Many issues (ASM #121 for example) are notorious for this printing defect.

flowerred.gif Your SS #3 is still a gorgeous book - I'd be very happy with your set grin.gif

Thanks, divad. All three of these Surfers present very well — much better than the grades given. They all have that "minty" look and feel to them. I'm very happy to have them. I have several other books that I wouldn't mind getting you guys opinions on, if you don't mind. Let me know. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif