• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon, Post your Reports, AND LETS MAKE THEM GOOD!

100 posts in this topic

Great reports, and nice pickups jbud! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Mike, though I think I have a few dollars left over to devote to some of your auctions.

Oh ya so here's me strolling around with some funny books all weekend flanked by my Buds Jeff and Jim sporting Kirby OA. tonofbricks.gif and Scott pawning off his UNDERCOPY of AF #15 tonofbricks.gif

Most kidding aside, when I look back on the dealers I buy from they have the same characteristics - 893whatthe.gif

1. Great books

2. Initial sticker isn't nose bleed

3. Grades are consistent and within 1/2 grade either way.

4. Professional and easy to deal with, whether its a $5 book or a $500 book (my usual purchase range) they are willing to chit chat about the books interested in what else you might be looking for and are genuinely interested in chit chatting about comics.

5. Willing to negotiate, that doesnt mean they always sell you the book at the price you want. But in either case, the transaction goes down, or it doesn't go down, there is still a good vibe, sort of "well we didn't come to an agreement on Book X, but that's ok and we will probably do business on book Y.

There were a lot of dealers at WonderCon who exhibited these characteristics thumbsup2.gif I can't imagine buying books off anyone else.

Can you track down Kevin & find out if any of my Miller books were signed? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

sorry but the books kevin had were not signed. sorry.gif

I'm sure Kev did everything in his power to get them done.(very tough con from what I've heard)

Here's to Kevin Boyd the hardest working man in comics cheers.gif

So here is my full con report.

I got in late thursday, got to the hotel, went and ate.

Friday morning got up went for coffee

went to the con. First thing scout the floor for books I needed. I got most of the moderns I needed. Then I snagged piracy 1 and 3 in VG+ for a customer for 30 each. I got all the signatures that were needed for SS except Bachalo. I got Grant Morrison and Frank Miller but not all of them. I also got sketches from ron lim, Mike Mignola, Eric Powell, and traded for an awesome Mike hoffman 2 figure sketch. I went and got food and beer and went to the comic art museum. I came back and passed out at 11.

Saturday

Coffee then straight to the con.

First I met Wes Craven and got his autograph

Then on to get the rest of the grant morrison autographs for SS

After I got that done back to check with kevin at the CGC booth to see if anymore books needed to be done.

Then on to artist alley to get sketches from JH williams III, J scott campbell, and sergio argones. I had a nice chat with Russ Heath.

Chatted with FFB, Flying Donut, and others. Buy then the show was over.

The chat Board dinner was great I had fun talking to everybody.

After that it was out for drinks at the thursty bear.

Sun my head was spinning. So it took alittle while to get things done.

All and All it was a good show. The only problem was the difficulty in getting Frank Miller's autograph.

It was great meeting you. The fact that you were there so early on Saturday meant that I actually had a chance to talk to you before getting swamped. When the Brain came by and Batman_Fan (Greg) came by, it was tough to talk to them. When Greg came back the second time he got to witness my two oddest customers of the weekend, which I will relate in my con report later.

But now I think I will follow FD's advice and get some sleep.

Marc

It was great meeting you. The fact that you were there so early on Saturday meant that I actually had a chance to talk to you before getting swamped. When the Brain came by and Batman_Fan (Greg) came by, it was tough to talk to them. When Greg came back the second time he got to witness my two oddest customers of the weekend, which I will relate in my con report later.

But now I think I will follow FD's advice and get some sleep.

Marc

I forgot to write in my Con report about you and the old guy fighting over that mid-grade Roy Rogers comic and the two dollar gap between his offer price and your discounted sales price. That was the classic Marc Newman moment and maybe the classic con moment of the weekend. 27_laughing.gif I've never seen you that worked up before and it was quite entertaining, made even more so by the fact that he deserved maybe even a little more of an azz chewing than you gave him. At one moment I actually wondered whether you and he might actually get seriously heated at each other over a mid-grade Roy Rogers book. If he had capitulated and paid your asking price, I was thinking about outbidding him by a dollar so you could tell him to pound sand. That would have set the guy off for sure. yay.gif

I forgot to write in my Con report about you and the old guy fighting over that mid-grade Roy Rogers comic and the two dollar gap between his offer price and your discounted sales price. That was the classic Marc Newman moment and maybe the classic con moment of the weekend. 27_laughing.gif I've never seen you that worked up before and it was quite entertaining, made even more so by the fact that he deserved maybe even a little more of an azz chewing than you gave him. At one moment I actually wondered whether you and he might actually get seriously heated at each other over a mid-grade Roy Rogers book. If he had capitulated and paid your asking price, I was thinking about outbidding him by a dollar so you could tell him to pound sand. That would have set the guy off for sure. yay.gif

Yes, it's good to get two versions anyway so I'm letting you go first. Mine is coming. Your quip afterwards was the best line of the weekend. Comic buyers are in general the sweetest people in the world but he really stands out as that sort of thing just never happens. Yeah, after being accused of changing prices on him and not wanting to make money after already giving him additional discounts on those books and digging for new unprocessed books to help him out it was mad.gif

Marc

There were two signings - one on Friday for the CBLDF and one on Saturday for Dark Horse.

The word from CBLDF was three items per person, and the message was that no one could line up before 4:15 for the 4:30 signing and if they did, security was asked to remove them. I got there at 4:16 and they had already capped the line and sent anyone else off packing. Funny thing is they ran thru the line quickly and allowed a few more random people to get some books done - unbeknownst to everyone they sent packing including myself.

The Dark Horse signing on Saturday was chaos. The fans formed their own line and then Dark Horse redid the line just before the signing, forcing the existing line back to accomodate the people who had been hanging around in front of the booth. They capped the line four people in front of me and the other witness. This time they didn't run thru the line quickly. Limit was three books again.

Frank wouldn't sign at all on Sunday or at any other time over the weekend.