• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rarest Silver age comic???

53 posts in this topic

You need some more odin sleep. Either that or you woke up on the wrong side of the odin bed. tongue.gif

Sorr-ee. I thought it was mid 50s. But isn't that book considered the scarcest (non-gold, I'll have to say) DC?

I always thought the scarcest DC Silver Age key was Showcase 8. Joanna?

Um... I don't actually know. I can tell you the scarcest Wonder Woman issue (it's 105), but not all of DC. (oddly enough, I haven't found 105 that hard to find, most likely because it's greater value seems to bring it out more often. I bought my copy from Harley Yee).

What about a DC Silver-Age Flash 110 (First Wally West)?

Only 27 on CGC census and highest a 9.2. What would the value be for this book?

Comiclink lists this book as very scarce and under-priced.

JLA, FD, Joanna, anyone?

Al. confused.gif

Flash 110 may be scarce in hi-grade, but I've seen quite a few in g-vg. No scarcer than surrounding issues (Gorilla Grodd).

Would say Showcase 2 or Brave Bold 2 is scarcer than Show 8 (Flash) due to higher guide value of #8. Either way, the shocked.gif cgc census population on silver DC is almost as low as golden age.

I see a Flash #110 in high grade about every six months. I passed on buying a VF/NM #110 from Showcase New England about 10 years ago for a princely sum of $900. Too much at the time but I did snatch that Flash #123 in VF/NM for $600 grin.gif

As far as rare Silver Age books go, practicly every late 50's DC book is hard to find. Action 230-ish, Batman 100-120's, any of the Sci-Fi titles (My Greatest Adventure, Strange Adventures, House of Mystery, etc) I've seen more copies of books like Action #1 and Captain America #74 in person than I've seen of some of these late 50's DC books. Just take a look at the census and you'll see big gaps for many of the DC books.

As for individual issues, Flash #106 is a real tough one in mid grade or higher. Superman #123 also.

50's DC Silver is difficult to find. It took me years to build a full run of Wonder Woman from #100 up (I was doing it in the years before ebay). Took a lot of cons, comic shops and mail order. I still had 60 issues to get below #100 when I quit collecting. With ebay, it could've been done a whole lot faster, that's for sure.

When I started selling, I began with my 50's Super books, and I had buyers thanking me for putting them up for sale because it's hard to find an Adventure 143 or 178, a Superman 133 or Superboy 60 or 80. None of them were in real high grade (though some weren't bad). It's a long quest to not only fill a run, but fill it with high grade.

-- Joanna

As for the Flash #110, I had one 'til about 5 years ago (don't ask what I traded it for; my crystal ball hates me). I got it from either RedBeard or Steve in Long Beach back in '85. Went back & forth from one table to the other- got the price down from $100 to $40. Boy, was I slick or what. cool.gif

Anyway, I agree that #106 is far more difficult to get. That pink background is as sensitive as any black cover.

And if anyone cares- and I know you do, Crusty- the toughest JLA in high grade is #4. I'll give a finder's fee for this baby (8.5 & up)! shocked.gif

Rick