• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is your favorite Spider-Man artist?

103 posts in this topic

The current Top Bronze-Age cover poll reminded me of some great Spidey covers from when I was a kid in the 1970s. My personal favorite is Romita's cover to ASM 122 but I would have to say that my favorite Spidey artist of all-time is Todd McFarlane. Man that guy could draw Spidey. I know that Spider-Man 1 was way over-hyped but that cover still blew me away when I saw it for the first time! Simple yet detailed; a classic pose that looked completely fresh even though Spidey had been around for 30 years.

I doubt there'll be too many people who won't nominate Ditko or Romita (I prefer the latter). Ross Andru would be a close second.

The strange thing is that the ASM title over the late Bronze and Copper ages was generally drawn by journeyman rather than superstar artists...McFarlane was the first of the latter type to draw Spidey.

I doubt there'll be too many people who won't nominate Ditko or Romita (I prefer the latter). Ross Andru would be a close second.

The strange thing is that the ASM title over the late Bronze and Copper ages was generally drawn by journeyman rather than superstar artists...McFarlane was the first of the latter type to draw Spidey.

Ditto.

I think the classic rendition of the character will always be John Romita. Its just like I always see Neal Adams version of Batman as the definitive version, or BWS for Conan, or Barks for Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge. There just seems to be someone who nails the art. Often times it is NOT the artist who created the character IMO.

I think the classic rendition of the character will always be John Romita. Its just like I always see Neal Adams version of Batman as the definitive version, or BWS for Conan, or Barks for Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge. There just seems to be someone who nails the art. Often times it is NOT the artist who created the character IMO.

Often the case with long term, blue-chip characters with developed back-stories. Although Kirby's take on quite a few of the characters he co-created (FF, Cap, Thor) still remains definitive (IMO!!).

The strange thing about the BWS Conan is that to many that's the classic version (no real arguments) but Cary Nord's take on him is, IMO, as good. And then there's Frazetta's take on the character (far more neanderthal) which is equally striking.

I think the classic rendition of the character will always be John Romita.

Wrong!

Steve Ditko wins hands down. sumo.gif

I'll second that for sure. sumo.gif

Many great artists have worked on Spidey but for me Ditko so captures his essence and personality with those crazy fluid lines. And no one could take a fall like Ditko's Spidey! I wasn't even born yet when Ditko worked on the title, so it's not simple nostalgia talking when I say... for me his Spidey will always be the definitive one.

I think the classic rendition of the character will always be John Romita.

Wrong!

Steve Ditko wins hands down. sumo.gif

I'll second that for sure. sumo.gif

Many great artists have worked on Spidey but for me Ditko so captures his essence and personality with those crazy fluid lines. And no one could take a fall like Ditko's Spidey! I wasn't even born yet when Ditko worked on the title, so it's not simple nostalgia talking when I say... for me his Spidey will always be the definitive one.

I was only 1 years old when Ditko left ASM,but even as a kid I thought his Spidey was the best.Looking back,the standouts for me were the splash page fights in ASM annual #1,and the covers to # 14,18,21,23,24,28,&33................those are burned in my brain forever.... hail.gif