• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heavy Metal

63 posts in this topic

When one considers the longevity and importance of this title, its surprising hm doesn’t get more (read any) coverage on the boards:

Heavy Metal Magazine List

Thinking about going after a full run; PM me if you have any HG copies you're willing to part with for a song. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

define "song."

When one considers the longevity and importance of this title, its surprising hm doesn’t get more (read any) coverage on the boards:

Heavy Metal Magazine List

Thinking about going after a full run; PM me if you have any HG copies you're willing to part with for a song. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

define "song."

Song Pronunciation Key (sông, sng)

n.

1. Music.

a. A brief composition written or adapted for singing.

b. The act or art of singing: broke into song.

2. A distinctive or characteristic sound made by an animal, such as a bird or an insect.

3. a. Poetry; verse.

b. A lyric poem or ballad.

Fandango,

You should be able to put together a run for relativley little, as long as you're not going for "Ubber Grades". The values are fairly low......but the magazines are filled with excellent art & stories. Best of luck on the run! hi.gif

Thanks FUELMAN, I think the general consensus is that it's a pretty easy run to complete so that suits. Ronm3, which issues do you recommend (have heard that Richard Corben's DEN was wonderfully drawn and written)?

any Liberatore, any Manara, any Serpieri, any Schuiten...

just buy every issue you can find from 1977 through 1988. they're pretty much all excellent. can't speak definitively for post-88 though. i personally think the sweet spot for this mag is 85-88.

1986-1988 are quarterly pubs, not monthly.

oh, and if you find a Spring of 88 with a lot less pages than normal, you have the Canadian version. those wacky Europeans and their openness about hardcore sexuality really made some folks nervous apparently

Thanks Sal thumbsup2.gif

oh, and if you find a Spring of 88 with a lot less pages than normal, you have the Canadian version. those wacky Europeans and their openness about hardcore sexuality really made some folks nervous apparently

For the sake of wackiness insane.gif I think I'm going to have to go European (sure hope those missing pages aren’t sticky)!!!

Thanks Sal thumbsup2.gif

For the sake of wackiness insane.gif I think I'm going to have to go European (sure hope those missing pages aren’t sticky)!!!

to elaborate;

from the very helpful link posted above

There is a regular and censored version to this issue. 36000 copies had pages 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, 30, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, and 94 torn out because of the Druuna story and Canadian "sex with violence" importation laws.

which is really too bad, because the Druuna story is very well illustrated

I would buy all of the early issues. I have most of the issues from 77-81 and thats it. That was the best of the best to me but I havent read anything after that. I also have the movie special which was only given out in the theatre. Great stuff. I am going to read some tonite. Get them they are well worth the money. thumbsup2.gif

"There is a regular and censored version to this issue. 36000 copies had pages 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, 30, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, and 94 torn out because of the Druuna story and Canadian "sex with violence" importation laws."

Which goes to show the magazine had a pretty decent circulation (even after it had become less popular by 1988 (the heyday was '85 and earlier)) if Canada alone was sucking up 36K copies