• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Comics #9 versus Startling Comics #10

4 posts in this topic

Are both of these books priced right in the latest copy of the Overstreet Guide or is the Exciting #9 overvalued at $12,000 and the Startling #10 undervalued at only $4,500 at top guide? Both of these books are from the same publisher with the Exciting #9 coming out in May 1941 and the Startling #10 coming out in September 1941. The Exciting features the first appearance of the Black Terror while the Startling features the first appearance of the Fighting Yank.

The only reason I am asking is that both these books were valued at the same price back in the mid-90's (eg. $800 for each in 1994 and $1100 in 1995) when I picked up VF to VF+ copies of both of them. At the time I had to pay more for the Startling because the dealer said that it was a much tougher book to find. This appears to probably be true since I have seen a few copies of Exciting #9 in the marketplace since then while at the same time I have not seen a single copy of Startling #10 in the marketplace.

Since the latter part of the 90's, both of these books have taken rather divergent increases in valuation as evident by the latest Overstreet. Would this be due to the fact that copies of Exciting #9 have appear in the marketplace with good turnover. At the same time, no copies of Startling #10 has shown up in the marketplace which has really ended up holding back the price increases realative to the Exciting #9. If this is the case, I guess this shows why scarce or rare comics do not usually have big price increases in the guide and/or marketplace. Maybe I should look to to purchase copies of overvalued Hulks #181 because there is such a healthy turnover on a daily basis even though dealers are still constantly asking me about my copy of Startling Comics #10!

I thought I would revive this old thread as it relates to my question. I recently picked up a Startling Comics 10 in a small collection and thought I would ask the community if this book is still considered hard to find. I see there are 14 copies on the CGC census and will probably end up sending this one in eventually.

A73C2182-C4A7-4C08-A078-5BE130025CD0.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Shaun C89 said:

I thought I would revive this old thread as it relates to my question. I recently picked up a Startling Comics 10 in a small collection and thought I would ask the community if this book is still considered hard to find. I see there are 14 copies on the CGC census and will probably end up sending this one in eventually.

A73C2182-C4A7-4C08-A078-5BE130025CD0.jpeg

Yes, very challenging book.