• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TRAVEL

176 posts in this topic

No exactly a breakthrough we can expect in our lifetimes. tongue.gif

Unless you can travel through time, in which case you can take advantage of technology from many generations in the future. And thus, dear friends, we have come full circle.

No exactly a breakthrough we can expect in our lifetimes. tongue.gif

Unless you can travel through time, in which case you can take advantage of technology from many generations in the future. And thus, dear friends, we have come full circle.

Exactly. Now we just have to wait for the future tourists to arrive. Didn't I see this on South Park? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way, I'm starting to understand why you're having a hard time finding a law firm job. poke2.gif

Perhaps you should go get an engineering degree, and then you could become a patent lawyer (supposedly the best legal job there is, according to many surveys).

By the way, I'm starting to understand why you're having a hard time finding a law firm job. poke2.gif

Perhaps you should go get an engineering degree, and then you could become a patent lawyer (supposedly the best legal job there is, according to many surveys).

Just what I want, another few years in school. frown.gif

I would LOVE to go back to school.

The grass is always greener my friend. The grass is always greener.

So true. frown.gif And how green was my valley. (they need a wistful graemlin)

So true. frown.gif And how green was my valley. (they need a wistful graemlin)

I try and keep in mind how I will feel when I do find a job. I will look back in awe at all of the free time I had. That's why I am enjoying every minute of this respite, even while lamenting my lack of employment.

Anyway, going to bed. Maybe I will read up on some the craap we talked about in this thread before drifting off.

Apparently, if telescopes are powerful enough, we would be able see to the end of the universe and the big bang that took place thousands of years ago and is still currently taking place. confused-smiley-013.gif

Current theory suggests the Big Bang took place nearly 14 billion years ago. I recall a documentary about it saying scientists can use mathematics to support this theory and everything works ok until they get back to within a fraction of a second after the Big Bang took place. At this point, the science and math of it all falls apart and it no longer makes sense.

we need to resurrect Einstein (or get a time-machine and get him back), then get him to make sense of everything.

doesn't one of Batman's foes have a watering pit that brings people back from the dead (Ra's Al Ghul?). where is he when u need him??

Time is really just an illusion. Because of this our minds have to equate a beginning and an end to everything; when in reality there always has been and always will be existence.

Do we know this for sure? We already know that time is not a constant, and can be "manipulated". Time and space are tied together, which is why time is considered the fourth dimension. Gravity is actually caused when mass and energy curve space-time. So what existed before the big bang? Did anything... space, time, dark matter, etc...actually even exist before it took place?

we need to resurrect Einstein (or get a time-machine and get him back), then get him to make sense of everything.

doesn't one of Batman's foes have a watering pit that brings people back from the dead (Ra's Al Ghul?). where is he when u need him??

No kidding. Reality can often be more bizarre than fiction. I always wondered why the math and science would fall apart a fraction of a second before they could get all the way back to the bang itself. Is this where the science ends and the mind of God begins? Or perhaps it's because nothing (time, space, energy) actually existed until right after the Big Bang? confused-smiley-013.gif

I remember another show on Discovery that talked about some kind of matter/particle (anti-matter???) that actually pops into existence from nothing, and then instantly collides with something and pops back out of existence...or something similar to that. I can't remember the specifics, but it was really odd to think that happens. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Regardless of what Einstein (or anyone else theorizes) I'm pretty convinced that just about anything is possible. If you look at how much we've progressed in say the last 2000 years, or even the last 100, it's pretty incredible. Imagine where we'll be in a 100,000 years (which is just a blip of time if you consider the earth is over 5 billion years old)! The issue is will we survive as a species to get there. One thing I think you can count on is that no one will die 100,000 years from now. In the words of Hyman Roth, "Ah, if I could only live to see it!"

stephen hawking pretty much dismissed it in a quote he made.

he said if time travel existed, we'd be inundated with time travel "tourists" from the future.

consider - if the first time travel machine was made in the year 3099, wouldn't the technology eventually become widespread as manufacturing of the timetravel technology became more sophisticated? at some point beyond 3099, building a time machine might become as simple as building a digital watch. soon, maybe time machines could eventually be bought at dollar stores. time travel machines would become so commonplace that essentially, everyone could have one, and then wouldn't all these people come back and visit us in 2006 to have a look around?

This idea isn't necessarily true. The presumption is that the technology would be allowed to be distributed to the general population. That's not always the case. Just look at, say, the space shuttle or the stealth bomber. Both utilize technology that is years old but is not mass marketed. Yes, the millitary can make a stealth bomber, but the general public can't just walk into the local Wal-mart to pick one up. I would think the same would hold true for time travel. It would definitely be a closely guarded technology.

Also, as far as tourists, I would think it would be more like the researchers you see on the Discovery channel. They go out into the Amazon and hang out with the natives, but you don't see groups of tourists going out into the bush. Yeah, there are safaris of course but those are set up by companies in "safe" areas, kinda like a park ride, not hacking and tracking through the jungle wilderness. And I would guess that it would probably be expensive even if the tech was allowed out (which again, I say it wouldn't be) and not everyone would want to go. Yeah, we think we are all sophisticated, but you're talking about people that are almost 2,000 years ahead of us. Not everyone NOW would want to go back to "06" so I doubt you have too many from 3099 wanting to come here. Heck, 95% of the people in my office don't even want to READ about the past much less go there.

Is time travel possible? Yes, all things are possible. However, it may be very, very, very improbable.

stephen hawking pretty much dismissed it in a quote he made.

he said if time travel existed, we'd be inundated with time travel "tourists" from the future.

consider - if the first time travel machine was made in the year 3099, wouldn't the technology eventually become widespread as manufacturing of the timetravel technology became more sophisticated? at some point beyond 3099, building a time machine might become as simple as building a digital watch. soon, maybe time machines could eventually be bought at dollar stores. time travel machines would become so commonplace that essentially, everyone could have one, and then wouldn't all these people come back and visit us in 2006 to have a look around?

This idea isn't necessarily true. The presumption is that the technology would be allowed to be distributed to the general population. That's not always the case. Just look at, say, the space shuttle or the stealth bomber. Both utilize technology that is years old but is not mass marketed. Yes, the millitary can make a stealth bomber, but the general public can't just walk into the local Wal-mart to pick one up. I would think the same would hold true for time travel. It would definitely be a closely guarded technology.

Also, as far as tourists, I would think it would be more like the researchers you see on the Discovery channel. They go out into the Amazon and hang out with the natives, but you don't see groups of tourists going out into the bush. Yeah, there are safaris of course but those are set up by companies in "safe" areas, kinda like a park ride, not hacking and tracking through the jungle wilderness. And I would guess that it would probably be expensive even if the tech was allowed out (which again, I say it wouldn't be) and not everyone would want to go. Yeah, we think we are all sophisticated, but you're talking about people that are almost 2,000 years ahead of us. Not everyone NOW would want to go back to "06" so I doubt you have too many from 3099 wanting to come here. Heck, 95% of the people in my office don't even want to READ about the past much less go there.

Is time travel possible? Yes, all things are possible. However, it may be very, very, very improbable.

That's really what all the UFOs are. Our future astronauts observing us. gossip.gif

It would definitely be a closely guarded technology.

It won't be any goverment that will do the work. It would more likely be some business funded by the goverment.

Actually there is some company working on teleporting. Short distances so far from what I read. And small objects like apple size fruits have unsuccessfully been tested in these experimental teleporters. It all sounded kind of like that teleporter in the movie THE FLY.

So if somehow a TIME MACHINE ever was made, I highly doubt we will ever see it due to any goverments involvment.

BTW; if I ever go back in time I'd probably stop certain things that have happened in the history of comics.

It would definitely be a closely guarded technology.

It won't be any goverment that will do the work. It would more likely be some business funded by the goverment.

Actually there is some company working on teleporting. Short distances so far from what I read. And small objects like apple size fruits have unsuccessfully been tested in these experimental teleporters. It all sounded kind of like that teleporter in the movie THE FLY.

So if somehow a TIME MACHINE ever was made, I highly doubt we will ever see it due to any goverments involvment.

BTW; if I ever go back in time I'd probably stop certain things that have happened in the history of comics.

i thought they were merely teleporting light at this point.

Considering the very large number of books (hundreds of thousands) such as Action #1 that were originally printed,

and realizing that very few copies (dozens?) are remaining today...

and given our discussion about the possibility that time travel may exist in the future...

...could we hypothesize that time travel DOES exist in the future,

and that some future person has already visited the past and obtained

many copies of books like Action #1... and they may be selling them

slowly in the future (where they undoubtedly have more value than today)?

I mean, if time travel exists in the future... they could be responsible for

the large number of "missing treasures" of the past. (Comics, Gold Coins, Historic Artifacts, etc.)

They were taken from the past into the future by future time-travellers.

They can't be found today because they don't exist "today".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I was a kid, I used to think that I wanted to study time-travel when I grew up.

But I decided against it because I would have "visited" my childhood self if I was successful.

Since I never got a visit from my future-self, I decided I shouldn't make a career out of time-travel science.

But... I'm also pretty sure there's a paradox in my logic, too. grin.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif