• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adamantium Hero Thread

34 posts in this topic

Human Fly has a "steel skeleton", and did they retcon Cap's shield to be adamantium, rather than a mysterious alloy?

I don't know what he's doing now, or who retcon'ed him last, but Ultron used to be adamantium...

frustrated.gif

There is NO adamantium in Cap's shield!!

That's news to me. From what I remember Cap's sheild is a rare combination of vibranium & adamantium. confused-smiley-013.gif

"The circular shield most associated with Captain America made its debut in Captain America Comics #2. A concave metal disc roughly 2.5 feet in diameter and weighing 12 pounds, it is virtually indestructible and has remained his most constant shield over the decades.

Again through retroactive continuity, it was established that the shield was presented to Rogers by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The shield was created by an American metallurgist named Dr. Myron MacLain, who had been commissioned by the US government to create an indestructible armor material to aid the war effort. MacLain experimented with vibranium, an alien metal found only in Wakanda that had unique vibration absorption properties.

During one of his experiments to fuse vibranium with a steel alloy, MacLain fell asleep and woke to find the experiment a success. However, this was due to an unknown catalyst entering the process during his slumber, and he was unable to duplicate the result. The vibranium-steel mix was then poured into a mold for a tank's upper hatch to create the disc shape and painted to become Captain America's symbol.

Rogers' indestructible shield has often been referred to as being an adamantium-vibranium alloy. This is not the case: adamantium was only developed after Rogers was revived from suspended animation, during MacLain's later experiments to try and duplicate the material of the shield (Avengers Vol. 1 #66, July 1969). This error first arose in the Captain America entry in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (the composition of the shield was accurately described in the Adamantium entry) and was propagated in several subsequent stories by writers using the Handbook as a reference. Writer Kurt Busiek finally set the record straight in Avengers Annual 2001."

The mysterious substance must be related to the world that the Beyonder put together. After all, when the shield was broken (Secret Wars) it only took the "will power" of Steve Rogers to make it whole again.

Seriously --- WTF???????

Aside: I wonder what Carl Barks would come up with in terms of these fake alloy names. After all a ball of bombastium sold for one trillion dollars and six kitchen sinks. It wasn't an alloy but it made for some incredible ice-cream flavors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombastium

Ahh, comic books... do you ever disappoint?

During one of his experiments to fuse vibranium with a steel alloy, MacLain fell asleep and woke to find the experiment a success. However, this was due to an unknown catalyst entering the process during his slumber, and he was unable to duplicate the result. The vibranium-steel mix was then poured into a mold for a tank's upper hatch to create the disc shape and painted to become Captain America's symbol.

Where can I find the "unknown catalyst" story?

One for my want list.

Thanks for the information,

Jack

Where can I find the "unknown catalyst" story?

One for my want list.

Thanks for the information,

Jack

I believe it's CAPTAIN AMERICA # 303 & 304.