• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For your info Batman V.S. Osamma???

37 posts in this topic

If you get your jollies from your favorite superhero whacking real world terrorist butt...more power to ya. Make sure you tell your friends...

Yeah!!!

Now if you all will excuse me, I've got a few other things to take care of before the day is over.

1. Complain about superheroes fighting terrorists.

2. Attend a party to bellyache about the booze, music, parking, lack of attractive women, etc.

3. Go to the childrens hospital and tell them there is no Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy.

4. Kill a baby rabbit.

If you get your jollies from your favorite superhero whacking real world terrorist butt...more power to ya. Make sure you tell your friends...

Wow, you have a great way of telling someone to do what makes them happy and that you think they're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for doing it. Your job here is done, congratulations. Hey, collect whatever ever makes you happy, just don't forget that what I collect is cool and what you collect sucks. thumbsup2.gif

I really like the idea.

I love to see Superman beating up Nazis on WWII Covers, Captain America smashing commies, and I look forward to Bats taking it to Al Qaeda. Kinda cathartic IMO.

That's why comics should stick with adventurous/escapist entertainment. It's an avenue where people can go and get away from the "real world"...

Jim

So should Batman also stay away from killers, rapists and drug dealers because they are too "real world?"

So should Batman also stay away from killers, rapists and drug dealers because they are too "real world?"

Generic criminals or killers? No problem. The Green River or BTK killer? Absolutely not. It's crossing the "4th Wall" and trivializing a rather serious real world issue...

Had the same problem with the Captain America reboot and his crusade against terrorism...

Jim

Who wants to read about Batman cleaning up the al-Qrada mess when the mess is still there and won't be erased once the 6 month storyline is over and nothing has changed?

I suspect tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands. With the press it's getting, it should be the top selling comic the month it comes out.

Who wants to read about Batman cleaning up the al-Qrada mess when the mess is still there and won't be erased once the 6 month storyline is over and nothing has changed?

I suspect tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands. With the press it's getting, it should be the top selling comic the month it comes out.

I'm sure it will. Hype sells and this comic will be no exception. But it still doesn't minimize what I see wrong in the whole endeavor...a cheap exploitation of an important real world issue to sell a few issues...

Tell the family members of 9/11 family members that Batman is going after al-Qeada and see what the reaction will be...

It borders on tasteless in my eyes...

Jim

I really like the idea.

I love to see Superman beating up Nazis on WWII Covers, Captain America smashing commies, and I look forward to Bats taking it to Al Qaeda. Kinda cathartic IMO.

Carthartic for who really? This isn't the 40s when information wasn't readily available to the masses? Does comic characters who slam perceived real world foes really turn you on? Seems like nothing but a cheap capitalization of people's fears to me. The real world and comics should stay separate. Who wants to read about Batman cleaning up the al-Qrada mess when the mess is still there and won't be erased once the 6 month storyline is over and nothing has changed?

That's why comics should stick with adventurous/escapist entertainment. It's an avenue where people can go and get away from the "real world"...

Jim

Jim

The comics medium isn't taken seriously by many people because of narrow views of what comics are "supposed" to be. Given Frank Miller's recent output, I don't have much faith in his ability to make this latest enterprise worth reading, but "comic books" can and have been used to effictively comment on "real world" considerations. Perhaps you only meant to refer to costume hero books in your statement, and while the element of the fantastic inherent in such books complicates any effort to create a "real world" scenario, I welcome any effort to expand beyond the limitations that sticking with "escapist entertainment" implies. It's not as if there is a shortage of comics that have no other goal than to entertain.

On another point you made, I think that many people actually know quite little about Al-Qeada beyond it's association with OBL, and that it is a catch-all term used to describe Islamic fundementalist terrorist cells and/or networks. Not that expect Miller to expand anyone's knowledge on the subject, but anything that keeps him away from another Dark Knight trilogy.

Finally - the "what would the families of 9/11 victims think" line of criticism is the arguement of last resort. The memory of that day has been exploited politically in so many different ways, that it stretches credulity to think that a comic about a super-hero battling Al-Qeada would even register, no matter how crass the the motivations for producing such a comic might be.

Even if it did, the idea that history is owned by it's victims is one that is easily used to limit it's discussion.

Finally - the "what would the families of 9/11 victims think" line of criticism is the arguement of last resort. The memory of that day has been exploited politically in so many different ways, that it stretches credulity to think that a comic about a super-hero battling Al-Qeada would even register, no matter how crass the the motivations for producing such a comic might be.

I agree, and 9/11 will be in the spotlight in much more popular mediums this year. Nick Cage has a movie coming out where he's a fireman stuck in one of the towers, and there's a flight 93 feature coming out later in the year.

Just wait for late summer, as we approach the 5th anniversary. There'll be new books on the topic, new documentaries, and CNN stories with heart-wrenching musical scores.

Tell the family members of 9/11 family members that Batman is going after al-Qeada and see what the reaction will be...

It borders on tasteless in my eyes...

Jim

I know plenty of 9/11 families and MY family was almost a 9/11 family as well. I worked on the 49th floor of the South Tower. Obviously, I made it out in one piece, but 295 of my colleagues were not so lucky.

I can't envision a single one (9/11 family) being upset by Batman going after Al Qaeda.

More upsetting is how less than 5 years later, most Americans have gone back to "business as usual" and their false sense of security while forgotting the evil that continues to confront us. Anything that reminds us that we are STILL at war with an enemy dedicated to killing us simply because we don't worship the same religion they do and in the manner they dictate, can't be all that bad.

More upsetting is how less than 5 years later, most Americans have gone back to "business as usual" and their false sense of security while forgotting the evil that continues to confront us. Anything that reminds us that we are STILL at war with an enemy dedicated to killing us simply because we don't worship the same religion they do and in the manner they dictate, can't be all that bad.

hail.gif

Interesting paragraph. Those exact sentiments are echoed in the Middle East, where they feel that American imperialism and western influence are dictating to them how they should live. For those people America is the evil aggressor and WE are the ones dedicated to killing THEM. Obviously I don't agree, but it's interesting that the same political rhetoric and emotional appeals are used on both sides of the fence, almost word for word.

sign-rantpost.gif One slight difference being that we didn't deliberately target and kill 3000+ innocent civilians. yeahok.gif

I know. That's why I said I didn't agree with them. yeahok.gif They think it all falls under the umbrella of "war". They don't see the difference between flying a plane into the WTC Towers and the US airstrikes that kill Iraqi civilians. Once again, I DON'T agree with them, but it's important to know how the other side thinks, wouldn't you agree?

sign-rantpost.gif One slight difference being that we didn't deliberately target and kill 3000+ innocent civilians. yeahok.gif

I know. That's why I said I didn't agree with them. yeahok.gif They think it all falls under the umbrella of "war". They don't see the difference between flying a plane into the WTC Towers and the US airstrikes that kill Iraqi civilians. Once again, I DON'T agree with them, but it's important to know how the other side thinks, wouldn't you agree?

That is why we are at war with fundamental muslims. They believe we want to destroy them so they attack not with armies, but with terror. We cannot allow that to happen, but they cannot be reasoned with as we see in the news about the riots. So we are left having to kill them before they kill us. Hopefully, the next generation of Muslim kids will grow up in a different world than their parents did.

That is why we are at war with fundamental muslims. They believe we want to destroy them so they attack not with armies, but with terror. We cannot allow that to happen, but they cannot be reasoned with as we see in the news about the riots. So we are left having to kill them before they kill us. Hopefully, the next generation of Muslim kids will grow up in a different world than their parents did.

Hopefully everyone's kids will grow up in a different world, but that's not likely as long as fundamentalism is around in ANY form. Muslims are just the flavor of the week as far as that goes. History (and virtually ever war) is riddled with instances of fundamentalist dogma. frown.gif