• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you consider High Grade

42 posts in this topic

GA: 7.0+

SA: 8.5+

BA: 9.0+

MA: 9.4+

I am not as strict as a lot of people around here, so I doubt many people will agree with me, especially on the bronze range.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

altough for SA, 8.0 is already (low) high grade to me...

i'm still happy for the big majority of SA to get (at worst) in 7.0 and 8.0 for BA...you still get very nice books and save so much $$$ !!!

regards

GA: 7.0+

SA: 8.5+

BA: 9.0+

MA: 9.4+

I am not as strict as a lot of people around here, so I doubt many people will agree with me, especially on the bronze range.

I am in everlasting and complete concurrence blush.gif

How many times have we done this thread . . . ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

gossip.gif No offense HR flowerred.gif

I understand ya, but to me.. if there are NO 9.4 Plat books, then there are simply no HG Plat books.

Dealers will have a different take on that, but to me it is black and white.

No offense meant either way..just my take.

Ze-

Agreed. All it means is the highest grade of that era is still not high grade.

I understand ya, but to me.. if there are NO 9.4 Plat books, then there are simply no HG Plat books.

Dealers will have a different take on that, but to me it is black and white.

Ze-

Agreed. All it means is the highest grade of that era is still not high grade.

There are all sort of factors that come into play here. Each era had different a printing process, variances in paper quality etc. etc.

Each era simply cannot be graded by exactly the same standards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Each era simply cannot be graded by exactly the same standards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know, most of my viewpoint comes from me not collecting GA books, nor do I peruse the census much. So my knowledge base is admittedly limited.

But I still feel calling a spade a spade is not out of line...if there are examples of 9.4 from a given era,no matter how few there might be, those would be the HG books from that era... If the highest out there is only 8.0..then I shouldchange my opinion about what HG might be from that era.

Either way...it is just my slant on the subject, dont expect a book on the subject from me anytime soon!

Ze-

Anybody who disses VF comics can kiss my [embarrassing lack of self control].

Since the majority of my collection is VF or below.. I feel I will not be proffering my lips any time soon.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

Norinn for the most part I am more then happy with a VF issue

---except for Modern Age. I have and will even buy VF modern, but I want NM on them if I can help it

I will gladly take a VF issue from any other era

There sharp/solid books and cheap when compared to what 9.2's go for

There are all sort of factors that come into play here. Each era had different a printing process, variances in paper quality etc. etc.

Each era simply cannot be graded by exactly the same standards.

That is true. Some papers already had yellow tint when new. However, we still have Church comics getting graded above 9.4 from the GA. You can still tell a difference between a NM GA book and a 2.0 GA book. Just because 9.4 GA books are rare doesn't make a GA 6.0 a high grade book. It just means there are fewer HG copies and if one wants a GA on the highr end of the scale, 6.0 is on the high end of the scale of available copies.

I am not putting down the desirablity of a 6.0 GA book. It is on the top of the scale in regards to the average condition of GA books. However, just because it is top of the scale in it's era, it is still not a HG book.

It's like the high school student who finishes top of their class in a class of 50 but couldn't place in the top 50 out of another schools class of 500. Just because it's top in class doesn't mean it's tops in another.

I understand ya, but to me.. if there are NO 9.4 Plat books, then there are simply no HG Plat books. The best of the bunch might be really nice, but "really nice" does not a HG make. Dealers might have a different take on that, but to me it is black and white.

Ze-

Yup, totally agree. You don't lower the bar just because no one can get over it. You just accept that no one can get over it.

I consider 8.0 and up High Grade...for any period except Modern, where 9.2 and up

is so common...

I agree... I think 8.0 or better is high grade regardless of age. As far as cut-off for what I collect it's:

Golden Age = 7.0

Atom Age = 8.0

Silver Age = 9.0

Bronze/Modern = 9.4

I dont think there should be a curve as well. I think it is just another way to help dealers make money.

To me I try to start at 9.0 with Golden Age but it depends on how the book looks structurally. If it is not centered than I may go down a notch or two. An 8.0 centered with white pages is alot nicer looking than a 9.0 with cream to off-white and a mis-wrap. Thats just me.

As far as silver age it depends on the scarcity of the book but I would strive for 9.2 or better.

Bronze has to be 9.4 or better.

Copper 9.6/9.8

Modern 9.8

9.8 and up. Below that, I begin saying pretty HG, fairly HG, etc. But HG to me is NM/M to MINT. The age of the book makes no difference in this. Even an Action #1 9.0 would be qualified in me saying, "a very high grade for this book ."

But an unqualified HG would mean 9.8 + in my eyes. Others may feel this bar is reached at 8.0, 9.0, 9.4, etc. and I wouldn't argue that they are incorrect as it's a subjective matter.

I personally would shoot for 8.0 + in GA and early SA, then the best I can afford in late SA, BA (usually shooting for 9.8) and for moderns, just a raw NM/M unread copy.

When people are willing to spend 3 to 4 times and above off guide, I consider it a high grade.

Seriously

SA 9.0 for keys, 9.2 and above for everything else.

BA 9.0 for keys 9.4 and above for everything else.

MA 9.6