• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greg's Quest for the Detective Run

104 posts in this topic

Ian how long did it take you to complete the run? I know you have completed every run. I am curious as to condition as well.

Have you ever thought about selling off books as well?

A - 33 years

B - Whatever condition I could find them in as long as they're complete. I particularly love restored books, and given their huge unpopularity with collectors, that fact enabled me to get an amzing looking collection much cheaper than I should have done.

C - I've picked up spares when it made sense, and I have upgraded constantly, so always have some spares to part with, but no way would I sell anything out of the actual collection unless I was upgrading it. Like the Detective 4 for instance.

I've had through my hands two Action 1s, two All American 16s, two Detective 27s, plus All Star 3, 8, Flash 1, Superman 1 and Batman 1. But I couldn't have upgraded without flipping the lower grade copies to get the deal.

I also had a difficult time finding a copy of Detective #156, I passed on the Church copy a few years ago because of all the chipping on the back cover. The copy that I managed to buy was a CGC 6.5 and I was just happy to get it! I would have bought the Church copy if I had known how tough it is to get a Detective #156 in decent shape.

I'm surprised the 6.0 copy Heritage just sold didn't go for more. I really like the cover (it would go well with a Batman #61).

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=820&Lot_No=1255&src=pr

820010116o.jpg

Great to see this one as it was the first GA Detective I ever bought. I think it was $15 from a Comics Trader ad in the back of CBG. Love your sig pic too. Last night I read Batman #1 in the archive edition and it's probably the first time in 20 years I've read those stories (previously via Famous First Edition). Man! So many panels are burned into my mind, just like your sig pic. Haven't read that Joker story in 20 years but I will be rereading that one shortly.

Marc

I'm surprised the 6.0 copy Heritage just sold didn't go for more. I really like the cover (it would go well with a Batman #61).

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=820&Lot_No=1255&src=pr

820010116o.jpg

Last night I read Batman #1 in the archive edition and it's probably the first time in 20 years I've read those stories (previously via Famous First Edition). Man! So many panels are burned into my mind, just like your sig pic.

I was just reading through the Joker stories this weekend. The opening splash from Batman #1 is a classic. Another great one is the panel in #4 when Batman finds the Joker's lair. The Joker projects a huge image of his laughing visage to frighten trespassers away.

Pretty surprising it just sold for book guide - that's a sweet cover!

I really like the cover of Detective #156 too and thats why I bought a CGC 6.5 copy of that issue even though I am a high grade collector. Its a tough book to get in even mid-grade and the Church copy is not even in high grade! Sometimes you get lucky and get a good deal, so congratulations on a great copy at a decent price!

I live in San Jose, so my house is a dump but still cost in the high six figures, two new cars but both paid for, but a stay at home wife and a 4 year old (almost) in privite school. That's why I mainly buy 4.0 to 8.0 with an average of ~ 6.0. I also try to buy non-slabbed if possible. I still have a long way to go, but knocking out 20 or so books per year is not overwelling on the cash side and keeps me having fun bargin hunting and feeling good when I pick up something for a reasonable price. Remember, I started my Batman run at age 12 and finished it at age 38!

Oh, OK. "Work in San Jose" (gotta make a decent amount to pay for a house there) added with "20 books a year" isn't so bad. You're an inspiration to us other Batman collectors. Would like to see group shots of the entire collection some day.

Remember, I started my Batman run at age 12 and finished it at age 38!

That's perseverence! thumbsup2.gif