• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 10 Worst Things To Happen In The History Of Comics

176 posts in this topic

What were the worst things to happen in comic history? Bad ideas that ruined comics.

I can think of three right off the bat...

1. Comic Code

2. Spider-Man clone story line.

3. Death of Superman

In respect to the comic code for every action there is a reaction. I think if the code never came into effect then there never would have been a "marvel age" of comics which is my all time favorite! So I can't agree that it is the worst thing to ever happen to comics! It's a shame that the horror books and crime books couldn't just have been labeled for sale to ages 16 and older but in the heat of the moment I guess there was a big push to get rid of all "offensive" material because parents were outraged to find out what was going on right under their noses!

To me one of the worst things to ever happen to comics was marvel super heroes secret wars(sorry beyonder!) It introduced the awful costume and worse marvel storylines would be screwed up for a long time afterward! The death of superman was a ridiclulous joke and it is definitely that kind of "sell-out" storyline that has ruined modern comics so i completely agree with you there!

UnrulyAppendage,

Could you maybe take one of those comics out of your sig line. Every thread that I read that you post on makes the screen scroll over to the right and I can't see who is posting what.

I think if you took off just one it would fix it right up smile.gif

You beat me to it... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Kirby leaving Marvel to go to DC (even though I did like his DC titles). It felt like the end of an era to me at the time.

agree with that thumbsup2.gif

i'll ad kefauver and wertham as a comics collector

and for non comics collector : video games (xbox ,psp,ds...) and permanent cartoon network who is killing any collecting purpose for childrens

See, I am not the only one. smile.gif Resolution my buttock smile.gif

Use Firefox, you can easily block a certain picture, this way you can still see all sigs, but if a pic is too big or distracting just zap it and it will stay away.

and permanent cartoon network who is killing any collecting purpose for childrens

I think you've hit one of the nails on the head in regards to why kids shy away from comics. Why read about their favorite characters on the static page when they can watch them move and speak in cartoons?

You can get your comics fix everyday, 7 days a week, just by watching an episode...

Jim

Forget tv.

It's the internet.

I call my daughters contemporaries Generation D. D for download. And they expect all content to be free.

Red

893applaud-thumb.gif I would have to agree with ya up to a point on this one. I think with 24/7 TV and the internet it's hard to get a kid to sit down to read a story and use his own imagination rather than just flipping a channel or downloading a video with all the bells and whistles.

However, the flipside to this is that it allows the established collectors like us to be able to get a lot more of those hard to find issues we want with a much lower cost. Before the internet I could have never found some of the SA books I have now without costing an arm and a leg. So its a two-sided issue.

Forget tv.

It's the internet.

I call my daughters contemporaries Generation D. D for download. And they expect all content to be free.

Red

Can you believe this. Certain schools in the Chicago area, next school season, will no longer be using books in class. Thats right, no books will be used. You won't be buying school books. Every kid will be required to have a laptop.

My daughter got her laptop in school in the sixth grade and the class spent 75% of their time playing The Sims. It was a trainwreck.

Check out Clifford Stoll's "Silicon Snake Oil". Don't get me wrong....I love computing, I think the internet is great....but to replace books? That's nuts.

Red

Looking at everyone's posts I can say I agree with most. The whole 1950's Comic Code fiasco is probably the darkest day in comics. However, no one has mentioned one of the latest terrible things to happen:

The Aging Elitist Comic Collector/Fanboy

This is the 30-50 year old guy who quit collecting/buying/reading comics 15-25 years ago but continues to trash all modern comics because they just don't meet his high standards like older comics. Three words: Howard the Duck. 27_laughing.gif. To me this is a big problem because it does nothing to get new/young readers into the hobby. Yes, some modern comics suck. Same as some CA, BA, SA, GA books sucked. To me the thing is is to find something new (since it would be more relevant to new/young readers) you like and share that with those who don't collect/read comics.

I remember a few years back my nephew, who has every game system invented in the last 5-10 years came over to play some games. I popped in a disc with some old school 80's games. He loved it. He liked playing those cheesy quarter eating games more than he did the new stuff. Yea, he still plays Metal Gear 3 but he also likes playing Joust and Moon Patrol. I got him into Anime and now he reads manga and other comics. That's the only way to keep the hobby alive.

This is the 30-50 year old guy who quit collecting/buying/reading comics 15-25 years ago but continues to trash all modern comics because they just don't meet his high standards like older comics. Three words: Howard the Duck. 27_laughing.gif. To me this is a big problem because it does nothing to get new/young readers into the hobby. Yes, some modern comics suck. Same as some CA, BA, SA, GA books sucked. To me the thing is is to find something new (since it would be more relevant to new/young readers) you like and share that with those who don't collect/read comics.

Who does this sound like? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Can you believe this. Certain schools in the Chicago area, next school season, will no longer be using books in class. Thats right, no books will be used. You won't be buying school books. Every kid will be required to have a laptop.

That is just plain sad. It should be the other way around, every kid will probably already have a laptop,or easy access to one. But it should be required for the school, as well as the parents to make sure they have real books to read.

Do you know if the Chicago schools are part of a small local experiment, or is this just becoming the norm nationwide? I cannot believe the school actually is endorsing a program like this, even if it does save them money.

Nothing like curling up in front of the fire with a good laptop....ehh?

sorry.gif

Ze-

Looking at everyone's posts I can say I agree with most. The whole 1950's Comic Code fiasco is probably the darkest day in comics. However, no one has mentioned one of the latest terrible things to happen:

My nephew gave me a manga comic to check out. It seems somewhat surreal to me, but I can see the appeal for a kid. The art is eye-catching and fun, it wouldn't be too hard to copy and learn to draw these characters. It's something new that kids can call their own.

It's small, digest size, like a secret that older people wouldn't understand....have superhero comics, on the other hand, become too respectable? As you say, the 40 year old guy, who blathers on about 40 years of continuity, how the older stuff was so good, blah blah... 893blahblah.gif not too appealing for a kid. More like a lecture than something fun! smile.gif

That is just plain sad. It should be the other way around, every kid will probably already have a laptop,or easy access to one. But it should be required for the school, as well as the parents to make sure they have real books to read.

Do you know if the Chicago schools are part of a small local experiment, or is this just becoming the norm nationwide? I cannot believe the school actually is endorsing a program like this, even if it does save them money.

Nothing like curling up in front of the fire with a good laptop....ehh?

sorry.gif

Ze-

I can tell you right now that the laptop "experiment" will be an unmitigated disaster. In law school 99% of students brought their laptop to class in order to take notes. 98% used it to email, IM, and play online poker instead of taking those notes. I was one of a handful of people who wrote by hand and it ended up saving me an enormous amount of out-of-class work. If 23 year old grad students are incapable of paying attention and resisting the temptation of goofing off with a computer in front of them, what chance do junior high kids have? screwy.gif