• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 10 Worst Things To Happen In The History Of Comics

176 posts in this topic

And I disagree, but I thik it is the definition of 'kid' that is the problem. 12 yrs old and younger seem to like to do what the adults are doing and sharing interests, and enjoy the attention they get from adults.

Wow, how long ago were you 12?

These days, in the era of big business-led "age compression", where 6-year olds are carting around cel phones and public school kids have laptops, your "12-year old" estimate is way off-base. It probably hasn't been that high since the 60's.

I remember when I was a little guy, 7 years old was the breakaway point for me, and I took pleasure in buying comics and having my parents roll their eyes at "all the money you're wasting" and having to clean up my room to avoid the standard "those comics are taking up too much space" threat.

Comics were something that only kids "got" and if I went to the store and found tons of adult nerds at the comics rack, gabbing over who was stronger, Hulk or Thor, talking about why this writer is great, etc., I would have dropped the hobby right them and there.

The only way to get kids interested in comics again, is to get the adults to stop buying.

Well, you obviously know best JC. You know the mind of kids more than anyone I guess. My time with my kids and their friends, including helping to run several after-school gaming events and sports, really mean nothing at all. yeahok.gifscrewy.gif

Call me clueless, but I really doubt at 7 yrs old you cared or even noticed whether you parents approved of comics. As usual, you give yourself waaaay too much credit... makepoint.gif

The majority of kids will NOT buy into comics again, no matter what the adults do. Too many other distractions, too much fun to have elsewhere. The comic companies realize this and play to their real customers - the long time fanboys. Can't say as I blame them.

Well, you obviously know best JC. You know the mind of kids more than anyone I guess. My time with my kids and their friends, including helping to run several after-school gaming events and sports, really mean nothing at all. yeahok.gifscrewy.gif

Of course they don't, as you cannot compare a parent-run event like sports, to something like kid culture and comics.

I played hockey and baseball all through to adulthood and my father was the instigator of that. I had no problem with it, and for some reason, sports is one of the very few things kids of any age can share with their parents. I believe Billy Crystal issued this sentiment in City Slickers, and he was dead on.

Now, let's get back to the subject at hand, while you can head over to www.parentsandsports.com to continue your OT discussion.

The comic companies realize this and play to their real customers - the long time fanboys. Can't say as I blame them.

We agree on this, and with prices, stories and distribution tailored to the aging fanboy, there is really no way to go back. I would do the same and drain as much money from the old fogeys before the industry inevitably burns itself out.

I realize this, and when I speakof "kid readers" I am talking hypothetically, in an environment where comics have a more realistic pricing model and are written for "smart kids" rather than "dumb adults".

Never happen though.

The majority of kids will NOT buy into comics again, no matter what the adults do. Too many other distractions, too much fun to have elsewhere. The comic companies realize this and play to their real customers - the long time fanboys. Can't say as I blame them.

Aging fan-boys? grin.gif That's funny. My guess is kid's aren't into comics today for two reasons: price point and availability.

A couple of years back I noticed my 11 year old niece had Archie Digests scattered all over the place, which surprised me. My sister said it was "the thing" among all her girlfriends. So apparently they had access to them where they shop, plus they're a cheap and fairly thick format. Which is the second point...regular comics are too expensive. Even if they were available most parents would probably select an animated DVD or toy over of three or four thin comic books, for the same money.

"Comic book" is just a story telling medium, same as DVD or paperback. But they're marketed as an isolated (and over priced) collectible format, like a sub-culture item.

Anyway, millions of adults enjoyed the "Harry Potter" books right along with the kids. And millions of adults play video games, right along with the kids. confused-smiley-013.gif

As to the kid/adult conversation, kids are reading comics, manga comics. So the medium can still be appealing to both adults and kids.

I'm glad Marvel is putting out the Essentials series (and DC Showcase now too) so that those stories are cheaply available. For many, like me, it's their first time reading through these series over 20+ issues, and really getting a feel for them. Perhaps some kids will get into these too.

I'm really into 100 Bullets, quite an ambitious adult series that I don't think would've been published before the time we're in now. So I like some of the changes that have happened to comics.

I think for superheroes there's a spirit of fun and looseness that needs to be there for kids to like it. When I read through some of these old Essentials, the editors are leaving goofy notes for the readers, there's a sense of light fun and then exciting action! Many superhero comics I look through now seem uptight, very serious, almost solemn about telling their tale. The story and the art.

It's boring, not only for kids, but adults too.

Anyway, millions of adults enjoyed the "Harry Potter" books right along with the kids. And millions of adults play video games, right along with the kids. confused-smiley-013.gif

Interesting example. Harry Potter proves that, given the proper marketing, something "uncool" like reading can be given new life among kids. Comics aren't totally dead and buried, they just need the right angle to break into the young market.

Aging fan-boys? grin.gif That's funny. My guess is kid's aren't into comics today for two reasons: price point and availability.

A couple of years back I noticed my 11 year old niece had Archie Digests scattered all over the place, which surprised me. My sister said it was "the thing" among all her girlfriends. So apparently they had access to them where they shop, plus they're a cheap and fairly thick format. Which is the second point...regular comics are too expensive. Even if they were available most parents would probably select an animated DVD or toy over of three or four thin comic books, for the same money.

"Comic book" is just a story telling medium, same as DVD or paperback. But they're marketed as an isolated (and over priced) collectible format, like a sub-culture item.

I have to agree on the price issue. My niece likes the little manga digest books that are geared toward young girls. And there's plenty for boys as well. These books are pretty thick for the price. I think the comic companies have the right idea for the trades but maybe if they went one step further and did new comics in this digest form they could bring more kids in.

What were the worst things to happen in comic history? Bad ideas that ruined comics.

I can think of three right off the bat...

1. Comic Code

2. Spider-Man clone story line.

3. Death of Superman

Ok, I'll give it a go (apologies if these have been said already) 27_laughing.gif

1. Price increase to $.35;

2. Bar codes on the front cover;

3. Dazzler;

4. Todd MacFarlane;

5. Marvel Value Stamps;

6. TPB's;

7. The non-inclusion of Underground Comix in the OS Price Guide;

8. Any Spidey post #150;

9. Not Brand Echh!

10. CGC blush.gif

angel.gifdevil.gif

I would have to say in no particular order:

- imposition of the comics code

- collapse of newstand distribution

- rise of manufactured collectibles (variant covers, etc.)

- Ron Perelman takeover of Marvel

- abandonment of story for art in the early 1990s

What was wrong with Not Brand Echh?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well....... what was wrong with the first six issues?

Marie Severin's best work imho. Great humor artist. I really liked NBE. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Okay, How many of these involve Marvel Comics? Please feel free to answer. grin.gif

Okay, How many of these involve Marvel Comics? Please feel free to answer. grin.gif

And how many times to do have to post the same thing throughout this thread? We got it the first time. Do you really require some sort of attention?

OK, here it is: good point Timulty! Wow - you are on the ball!

sleeping.gif

And how many times to do have to post the same thing throughout this thread? We got it the first time. Do you really require some sort of attention?

OK, here it is: good point Timulty! Wow - you are on the ball!

sleeping.gif

The portion in bold was all I need to hear. Thanks. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

One other thing that I can add to the list is the Art.

Somehow during the rise of the Mcfarlane's and Leifeld's the art became so over detailed that it is nearly impossible to identify what is going on in each and every frame.

Small scratchy little lines all over the place and all of it is the exact same line weight!

HelloooOOOOO...you guys need to vary line weight so the renderings are easy to look at. It is a comic book for gosh sake.

Artboy99

What was wrong with Not Brand Echh?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well....... what was wrong with the first six issues?

Marie Severin's best work imho. Great humor artist. I really liked NBE. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well, 9 out of 10 wasn't too bad! 27_laughing.gifgrin.gif