• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Frijoles!!!!!! Anybody else see this?????

45 posts in this topic

From the Heritage website:

Download the Complete Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order Now!

Since 1970, only one comic book price guide has been dubbed "the Bible" for casual and die-hard collectors alike. While others have come and gone, The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide has maintained its stature as the premiere reference source for the hobby, covering more than a century of comic book history. The Guide, an essential tool for collectors and investors, is highly regarded for its well-researched pricing, in-depth historical information, and incomparable insights into the marketplace. If you have a comic book collection or are thinking about starting one, you simply can't do without this book!

And now you can get it all on your computer - fully searchable - with the click of a mouse.

Heritage Comics is pleased to announce the availability of the Electronic 2003 Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide - downloadable right here, right now, for only $25. In just minutes you can be using this invaluable guide on your computer. No page turning - simply click on the alphabetical bookmark and scroll to your area of interest. (Or, hit CTRL-F and type in the name of any comic, or even just a keyword, and find every item and price related to your interest).

System Requirements: PC Compatible only, Windows 95 or later operating system, Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or later (For best results, install Adobe Acrobat Reader prior to installing this software.), 22 MB of hard drive space. NOTE: When the Comic Price Guide is installed, it is installed on and licensed to one single computer. The PDF cannot be copied to or viewed on another computer, and the installer will not reinstall the file on another computer. Once installed, the Comic Price Guide can be viewed only on the computer on which the installation was run.

NOTE: When the Comic Price Guide is installed, it is installed on and licensed to one single computer. The PDF cannot be copied to or viewed on another computer, and the installer will not reinstall the file on another computer. Once installed, the Comic Price Guide can be viewed only on the computer on which the installation was run.

That moves me out of the market for this product. With my constant upgrade schedule I build a new system two or three times a year. Oh well. Maybe I should just buy it, crack it and give it away for free for my trouble. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

NOTE: When the Comic Price Guide is installed, it is installed on and licensed to one single computer. The PDF cannot be copied to or viewed on another computer, and the installer will not reinstall the file on another computer. Once installed, the Comic Price Guide can be viewed only on the computer on which the installation was run.

So before you install it you burn the Download to CD.

Then you install it off CD.

How will it know from one PC to another

hmm, tough to read on the john though 27_laughing.gif

hmmmm....toilet humour, you gotta love it! 893whatthe.gifstooges.gifacclaim.gif

Is there a better type of humour? stooges.gif

scatological?

Isn't anyone else EXTREMELY disappointed in this? I was excited when I first saw it...finally, a digital version of the guide. Now I can put it in Access, and automatically update the value of my collection. But wait....

It's not in a database format?!?! It's a damned PDF file? Unless you can export from it into any kind of database readable format, I think it's useless.

What the heck is the point of this project? It's barely an improvement over the book itself! 893frustrated.gif

I know this would be a lot of work, but you could always print it out, then scan it using a good OCR software package, thereby converting it to text. Then you could fix the flaws in the text alignment (and there will be MANY, even with the best OCR) and import the completed TXT file into a database program...

Ta-da!!!

OK, Fury...have at it...we'll see you in about 4 months...

I know this would be a lot of work, but you could always print it out, then scan it using a good OCR software package, thereby converting it to text. Then you could fix the flaws in the text alignment (and there will be MANY, even with the best OCR) and import the completed TXT file into a database program...

Ta-da!!!

OK, Fury...have at it...we'll see you in about 4 months...

Or if you have the full-version Adobe Acrobat product, you can skip all those steps and copy and paste into a TXT file and do as you like.

Isn't anyone else EXTREMELY disappointed in this? I was excited when I first saw it...finally, a digital version of the guide. Now I can put it in Access, and automatically update the value of my collection. But wait....

It's not in a database format?!?! It's a damned PDF file? Unless you can export from it into any kind of database readable format, I think it's useless.

What the heck is the point of this project? It's barely an improvement over the book itself! 893frustrated.gif

I've got to agree...what's the advantage of having it as a PDF other than slightly faster searching? There seem to be more disadvantages than advantages to this approach, although it's entirely possible I've overlooked a few potential advantages. Hopefully this is just phase 1 of a multi-phase plan by Gemstone to convert Overstreet's data to an electronic format.