• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who wants to grade a Caliber Presents #1? difficult task!!

4 posts in this topic

hey, anyone want to toss me some idea of grades on my Caliber Presents #1, I would love to have it. Here is the conundrum. The front is great, Pages are white, corners are sharp. here is the cover. caliberpre1.jpg

looks pretty decent, right?

anyhow, on the back (it is all black so I may have to walk you through it a bit) there are some stains(?) from where it looks as if some fool thumb'd it up with his(or her) ham-fisted dickbeater. this occurs fight in the middle of the front bangs of the crows hair going over to OUR left. and also under the word ALSO. now is this staining as it could be finger oils. or could it be soiling, or is it printing defect (i am not sure it is a fingerprint as there is no ridging like a pronounced print, more like a splotching really. and how much will it affect final grade as the back cover is historically not as important BUT since this is the first CROW appearance and he IS the back cover, does that add more weight to the back cover?

here is a scan of back.

caliberpre1back.jpg

all input is greatly appreciated. any other flaws on the back are probably part of the scan quality and not the book. Thanks again!!

I was going in at VF+, but could easily be a 9.0. Very nice copy. Any staining on the back cover is no where as serious as it would be on the front. If all those stains were on the front cover, you'd then probably have a VF.

I have to say that I find it imposible to grade black covered books from a scan. There is no way to pick out subtle flaws like fingerprints (especially on relatively new books like this) as they can easily be affected by whatever is on the glass of your scanner. This book is possilby somewhere in the NM range (don't see anything bringing it down to VF) but beyond that is anyone's guess. Would need to see the book in person.