• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Company - 3PG - Third Party Grading???

52 posts in this topic

- Someone on the board said they liked the Mylar portion of 3PG's 'slab' - as far as I can see the Mylar IS the slab..? Looks very flimsy, almost an afterthought, at least compared to CGC's

If you read their website you'll know how the slab is constructed.

Each comic is double sealed in our "3PG Comic Time Capsule". Your comic is first sealed in an inner Dupont Melinex ® 516 protector, along with its grading label, and numbered security hologram. This is the same polyester film that is used by The Library of Congress for storing historical documents, and is the next step up from Mylar ®. The inner protector is then placed between a sandwich of plexi-glass, which allows total viewing of both the front and back cover of the comic, (the plexi-glass poses no danger to the comic protected in the inner Melinex®516) as well as adding rigidity to the capsule. All components are then placed in an additional outer Melinex ® 516 protector and sealed for added protection. Each comic also has micro chamber paper inserted between the front and back covers. This paper will help trap harmful gasses that may be emitted by your comic over time. What you have is a sleek, sturdy "Time Capsule" that will protect your comics for years to come.

Sounds to me like he's the final grader, not the only grader.

You could be right, although it could easily be inferred that as the only grader, that would also make him the final grader. I didn't notice anywhere he explicitly said more than one person looked at the book, which is the very first thing that CGC promises on the back label of their product. If anybody notices text on his site where he says more than one person looks at the book, please post it.

- the 100-point grading system... I mocked this very notion a couple months back on another board. I don't see how this helps. It not only puts even MORE emphasis on the condition of the book, it absolutely ensures that no two people will grade the same comic the same way...

How much emphasis is too much?

Also, the current scale is 25 notches...do you think a 100-point scale is beyond the reach of human achievement, or just beyond the reach of what the comic book back issue industry has achieved up to this point?

A 100 point scale aint that much of a diff considering we can get 4.5 and 8.5 and 9.8. from CGC

It's very different. Count the total number of grades CGC assigns.

Nice to know the pregraders have an average of over 10 years grading experience to properly grade Moderns 1975 up. Takes longer to count all the pages than the screen for resto in Modern comics. insane.gif

I'll probably try them (3PG) out. Send some inexpensive comics in. As long as I'm making money of the ones I've sold, I have no qualms with them. So far they sell. People are buying these other company (CGG) graded comics. As long as I'm making a bigger profit selling these moderns, how can I complain. Sure I'll try 3PG and see how they sell. As long a they make me more $$$$ thats the bottom line.

I just thought of one MAJOR flaw with this company--probably the SINLGE reason I'd not use them at all. Correct this ONE flaw and I'd happily give them a go.

Here it is: the 100-point scale is not only impossibly subjective, but it'll wreck a lot of Ebay sales.

We all know that some people deliberately search for comics by title, number, and grading score. For example: "hulk 181 9.4" or "amazing spider* 10.0."

This grading system alone omits these comics from ALL ebay searches that specify a grading score, whereas a CGG score would still be presented.

If I were selling my 3PG book on Ebay and it was a 92, I'd either have to keyword spam and say "9.2" or miss every bidder who wants a 9.2 graded book.