• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh Comicon?

81 posts in this topic

First off, that's something I hadn't heard, but people have done SS books with him, and no, they've mentioned nothing about being charged for his autograph.

Secondly, I would have to wonder how much he charges per autograph. Are we talking a couple of dollars or a lot of money. Certainly some creators like Neal Adams for example will charge a couple of dollars per book above two or three free ones. Discourages people from showing up with long boxes.

Thanks to everything that notified me that Suydam's policy is that if you buy something from him, then he'll sign what you want. However, the cheapest things are in the $10-15 range. It's one of those "eye of the beholder" scenarios...

Thanks to everything that notified me that Suydam's policy is that if you buy something from him, then he'll sign what you want. However, the cheapest things are in the $10-15 range. It's one of those "eye of the beholder" scenarios...

Well, if anyone is Pittsburgh notices a change, please let us know.

Well, while I don't like it, and I'm trying to verify whether or not Arthur or Renee mentioned anything about it, but ultimately it IS the creator's choice.

I'm not aware of any other creators that do anything like that.

Well, if anyone is Pittsburgh notices a change, please let us know.

Here is the deal with Arthur Suydam:

In New York the end of February at the New York Comicon.

His policy was, if you bought anything from him Calendars,Books,Prints etc.

He would sign the item you purchased from him and any and all books you may have wanted to get signed. The items ranged from $15-20.

He and his wife were very nice. (I even witnessed him sign the odd one here and there for some kids for no fee or purchase)

Pittsburg Comicon April 21.

Arthur Suydam’s signing policy has now changed.

If you buy anything from him Calendars,Books,Prints etc. It’s now $20.00 minimum

And for $20.00 (1 item) that gets you 1-10 signatures.

So, 11-20 signatures meant you would have to buy two items from him.

(And the wife was very serious about it)

Nice guy, great covers. Is he worth it? For me yes he is.

Does his price increase and limits have anything to do with the fact that Adam Hughes was a no-show and there was a bit of extra cash in the room?

confused-smiley-013.gif

He would sign the item you purchased from him and any and all books you may have wanted to get signed. The items ranged from $15-20.

He and his wife were very nice. (I even witnessed him sign the odd one here and there for some kids for no fee or purchase)

If you buy anything from him Calendars,Books,Prints etc. It’s now $20.00 minimum

Do his price increase and limits have anything to do with the fact that Adam Hughes was a no-show and there was a bit of extra cash in the room?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the info, and I'm hoping it is the fact that Adam Hughes was a no-show.

Do his price increase and limits have anything to do with the fact that Adam Hughes was a no-show and there was a bit of extra cash in the room?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the info, and I'm hoping it is the fact that Adam Hughes was a no-show.

Don't think it was.

The guy is riding out his 15 min. of fame!!

Hey these guys gotta eat too!! thumbsup2.gif

Even George Perez asked for a few dollars (for charity) from people if you had more than a few books.

Welcome to the new age of Comicbook Conventions.

well people are making tons of money off their SS autos, who can really blame em. I think $20 is extreme if there is nothing you want. Now with perez, EVERYTHING goes to charity, he's the nicest guy in the business well besides mike perkins.

Unfortunately it is. When someone walks up with literally stacks of books to get signed the creators aren't always as accomodating as they would be with a person that has a couple of them to do.

George is also the on the executive board of ACTOR, and I don't think it's unfair of him to ask for a small donation when someone brings a large batch of books to get signed. He's looking out for the charity, as we all should.

well people are making tons of money off their SS autos, who can really blame em. I think $20 is extreme if there is nothing you want. Now with perez, EVERYTHING goes to charity, he's the nicest guy in the business well besides mike perkins.

I don't think SS has anything to do with it.

Since I began to collect comics 25 years ago George Perez has been a favorite of mine.

Artists and writers can ask for whatever they want.

They don’t hold a gun to anyone’s head.

It’s the collector’s choice if they want to spend any $$$$$.

To me if they put it in their pocket or they are collecting for a charity what’s the difference?

Suydam has some nice stuff for sale. I personally had no problem buying to get his signature.

Unfortunately it is. When someone walks up with literally stacks of books to get signed the creators aren't always as accomodating as they would be with a person that has a couple of them to do.

George is also the on the executive board of ACTOR, and I don't think it's unfair of him to ask for a small donation when someone brings a large batch of books to get signed. He's looking out for the charity, as we all should.

How many books in a stack???

Hi ComicFreak and All--wow, Pittsburgh Comic Con was fantastic. I think one of the best shows I've attended as far as meeting some great folks. And so well run! A class act.

This is Renee, Arthur Suydam's agent. I just wanted to clarify Arthur's signing policy since ya mentioned it. It really hasn't changed--he'll still signs all books with a little purchase, which is usually $20. and you get a new publication or print or calendar in the process, which he also signs (Also note that he signs convention posters and program books at no charge at all).

But since the Marvel Zombie books are selling for tons of money on e-bay, and he was getting stacks that numbered in the hundereds, this time he sort of need to put a limit on how many books he could sign at any given time. This is so he could get to all the fans that were in line at Pittsburgh and still have time to breath and do sketches for everyone.

Also, on that note,

If someone is a dealer and has stacks of books to sign, he is always good about cutting a deal as well.

If you have any more questions or just want to check out some new art, look us up at: www.evainkpublishing.com

Thanks!

--Renee

Hey Guys and Gals--Forgot to mention as well that Arthur donated an 8k artist proof oil painting for the art auction in Pittsburgh--the great Batman Zombie piece he did for the program book. I hear it went for a record amount at the auction, all monies going to benefit the Make a Wish Foundation.

If you've never attended Pittsburgh Comic Con, going to support this great cause and getting some great art is worth the trip alone.

Of course, you'll notice I'm pointing out all the good stuff about my guy here, :-) But why not? I know that Arthur is one of the most accommodating guys in the business when it comes to meeting his fans. Portfolio reviews, advice, you name it. Stop by and see us at some of the shows.

And, as I mentioned, feel free to e-mail me any time.

Yah, it would have been nice to have Adam Hughes at the show. Arthur was supposed to do a panel with him on Friday. But, he and Greg Horn handled things quiet nicely. :-)

--Renee

www.evainkpublishing.com