• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanos Quest

92 posts in this topic

I remember Thanos Quest issues 1 and 2 being particularly hard to find during the Infinity Gauntlet cross over event at Marvel during the early 1990's. I'm sure most of this had to do with the extreme popularity of the event more so then printing numbers but I kept hearing about a low distribution run of these books. I' was able to get a couple of NM copies off eBay for around $10 a piece and it only took me a month to locate a suitable copy.

I was wondering how many issues of each book was printed? Did the LCS buy this series in bulk or just a scant few copies here and there? Was it a missed gem or a hyped key once the crossover got into full gear? Any information is appreciated.

It was a great read by the way.

flowerred.gif

Definitely, and Thanos Quest was one of the better Marvel stories of the 90's. I especially liked how Starlin expanded on the Soul Gems mythos (deftly and imaginatively expanding a single page from Avengers Annual 7) without actually doing a retcon. I didn't like the "Infinity Gems" name change, but everything else was superb and really showed Thanos at his best (worst?).

I never found any of the Infinity War/Quest/etc. to be very good, but the TQ setup was killer.

Definitely, and Thanos Quest was one of the better Marvel stories of the 90's. I especially liked how Starlin expanded on the Soul Gems mythos (deftly and imaginatively expanding a single page from Avengers Annual 7) without actually doing a retcon. I didn't like the "Infinity Gems" name change, but everything else was superb and really showed Thanos at his best (worst?).

I never found any of the Infinity War/Quest/etc. to be very good, but the TQ setup was killer.

The Infinity War/Quest/etc were just pale immatations hastily produced as nothing more then a way to drain funds from fans. sumo.gif

87049730380.1.2ND.GIF

A series produced later that I felt capture the magic was "The End" followed by a mildly amusing 2003 series, Thanos. In fact, now that you got me going, is there a place that lists all the Thanos appearances in Marvel over the years starting with Iron Man 55? And any luck tracking down print run information on Thanos Quest 1 and 2?

A series produced later that I felt capture the magic was "The End" followed by a mildly amusing 2003 series, Thanos. In fact, now that you got me going, is there a place that lists all the Thanos appearances in Marvel over the years starting with Iron Man 55? And any luck tracking down print run information on Thanos Quest 1 and 2?

Can't help with the print run info, but how's this for appearances?

According to the Standard catolog of Comics Thanos Quest #1 had 23,000 ordered from Capital City, #2 had 19,300 ordered. This doesn't take into account newstand sales. Just to show the contrast, the Infinity War series had between 89,800 - 139,800 per issue for 1-6.

What the heck is that monstrosity?? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif
Why is Thanos' crotch on fire? confused.gif

I meant the terrible Text Blurb, and just the horrible design of the cover. Gotta be a Modern TPB cover version created by Bendis, right?

The original covers are classic, but that is just downright embarassing. foreheadslap.gif