• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MegaCon - early report

5 posts in this topic

The NYC show may have had tons of people, Burntboy books and that nyc charisma, but I bet it had nothing on the Megacon this year. Bet you couldn't get a tattoo while looking for your favorite issue of capt carrot? Bet you couldn't actually join a sword/d&d fight demonstration. Bet you didn't see dozens and dozens of people dressed for halloween. And oh yeah - they had comics and all that other stuff too! Room was pretty full of dealers - light customer crowd but most of the dealers said they were having a good day. I picked up an FF 12 8.5 with slight ct that looks as nice as my 9.0 copy. Also got FF 25 9.0, JiM 102 and 105 9.4s from JiveT. and Brent. Very nice to finally meet both in person. Also bought a bunch of X-men mrvl legends toys to fight the giant sentinel! A pretty good selection of gold and silver this year - I forget how tiring looking thru boxes of books is since ebay is so easy! A lot of raw stuff was overpriced and overgraded. I did pick up some raw stuff - mostly late silver that I wanted to actually read again. Motor City had some nice stuff - but mostly so overpriced that there was no room to deal. bedrock city had great stuff too. More and more manga, gaming , dvds etc - I think there was more of that than comics! But it was the first time I ever remember seeing a tattoo artist set up in a con. My seven year old and I watched a girl get one on her shoulder - the needle thing is pretty loud! A good show to people watch. Use to be the trekkies were everywhere. They have been replaced by a new, slightly weirder generation though. Lots of guys in skirts with strange makeup, lots of star wars guys and girls, guys dressed like dragonball z, etc. I was there for about 5 hours and was pretty tired by the time we left. Well worth a look see though!

I was kind of disappointed with MegaCon yesterday. I took a wad of cash and couldn't find most things on my want list. I was in and out in under 3 hours.

I did get a lot of later GI Combats from some Carolina guys blowing out dealer overstock and bought about 25 Conan the King and Moon Knight covers for $2 a piece (sweet Kaluta and Sienkiewicz covers) in NM or above (very nice copies) from them as well.

Could only find one SSWS in high grade I was looking for (a NM+ #168 from Motor City for $25) and a Hell-Rider #1 for $20 from another dealer. Couldn't find a Crime Suspenstories #22 anywhere on the floor or a lot of high grade bronze DC war that I needed other than the GICs. Also kept an eye out for any hg copies of HOM 174 and HOS 81 - but nothing even remotely close. The war books I am collecting don't seem to be big ticket or popular, so I guess I am not completely surprised.

Some guys did have a nice looking Punch #12 he said was VF for $1500. I didn't check it out up close, but damn, that is a cool cover. I have been looking for a nice NM Batman 220 for a while now as well. Graham Crackers had one on their wall with $100 on the sticker. I didn't even look at any of their books after seeing that.

I was planning on going Friday only and Orlando traffic only solidified that decision.

Yeah - the Magic played last night and traffic was a nightmare off I-4. Well you could have spent your left over money on a nice tattoo to memorialize the 06 megacon since you didn't find the books you wanted! Or you could have bought enough swords to stock a small army of ninjas.

Yeah - the Magic played last night and traffic was a nightmare off I-4. Well you could have spent your left over money on a nice tattoo to memorialize the 06 megacon since you didn't find the books you wanted! Or you could have bought enough swords to stock a small army of ninjas.

Were the Jamlando fans hoping Penny wouldn't be waived? And what was up with that red outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed with swords thing? I mean, I know I am a dork, but c'mon....

Not sure - had never seen anything quite like it. anyone could get in there and joust though. My 7 year old watched them for about an hour an was ready to take them all on! He really wants a real sword though - but could you imagine walking around in there with a 5 foot long sharp metal object? There must have been 4 dealers with swords and related stuff! Fencing must be making a comeback amongst the geek squad.