• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maybe they'll actually fix JLA...

11 posts in this topic

From this week's CBG email list-server:

BYRNE/CLAREMONT REUNION ATTRACTS ATTENTION

At presstime, DC announced that Entertainment Weekly in its May 16 issue will feature an interview with John Byrne and Chris

Claremont on their upcoming run on JLA.

In the interview, Byrne said, "JLA editor Mike Carlin [asked] if I would do a five-part arc. He suggested for old times' sake I

might like to have somebody else -script. Suddenly, it's Simon and Garfunkel."

Claremont and Byrne previously teamed on a long run of Uncanny X-Men in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Also, Denny O'Neil has said that he's working on an inventory JLA story for Carlin.

Cheers,

Z.

Too bad Claremont is one of the worst writers currently working in comics. Has not written a good story in at least 15 years...

You know I'd actually have to agree but I would put his last good story as Jubilee nursing Wolverine back to health after getting near killed by the Reavers(?). So I'd say he hasn't written a good story in 13 or so years.... smirk.gif

I will probably give their run in JLA a glance. Be the first Justice League I've bought in 20 some odd years.

Jim

BYRNE/CLAREMONT REUNION ATTRACTS ATTENTION

Hmm, unfortunately I feel that most of the attention will be centered around how far the pair have fallen from their 70s/80s peak. Both creators have been sadly lacking in recent years and I really hope that this reunion doesn't tarnish their previous greatness together.

Too bad Claremont is one of the worst writers currently working in comics. Has not written a good story in at least 15 years...

Tom, does this mean you like the direction JLA has been going since Grant Morrison (or, if you prefer, Mark Waid) left? 893whatthe.gif

If, as I suspect, you're a non-JLA reader, how about letting the rest of us hope for an improvement over the status quo (even if it is unrealistic to expect another Dark Phoenix Saga or Days of Future Past from these guys).

I will probably give their run in JLA a glance. Be the first Justice League I've bought in 20 some odd years.

Jim

Jim, then you ought to pick up one of the Morrison JLA trade paperbacks. Rock of Ages would be a good place to start. Unless Grant Morrison is just not your cup of tea.

Cheers,

Z.

Jim, then you ought to pick up one of the Morrison JLA trade paperbacks. Rock of Ages would be a good place to start. Unless Grant Morrison is just not your cup of tea.

I take it's good? I've not been a DC reader for about ten years. Damn, since the breaking of Batman's back and Zero Hour. I have been enjoying the current Loeb/Lee Batman though and have thought about buying more DC. My selection is bare though as DC comics aren't all that prominent on the sales rack here.

Jim

I've not been a DC reader for about ten years. Damn, since the breaking of Batman's back and Zero Hour.

Yeah, the Knightfall/end/quest thing kept me away from the Bat-books for a decade myself. The only good thing to come out of Zero Hour was the Starman series by James Robinson & Tony Harris. Starman + Sandman kept me somewhat interested in the DC universe in the 1990s.

Grant Morrison's 1998 relaunch of JLA was very good indeed. On second thought, check out the "New World Order" tpb prior to "Rock of Ages" if you're interested in a sample. If the tpb's are hard to find in Germany, you might find a good deal on eBay.

Cheers,

Z.

Grant Morrison's 1998 relaunch of JLA was very good indeed. On second thought, check out the "New World Order" tpb prior to "Rock of Ages" if you're interested in a sample. If the tpb's are hard to find in Germany, you might find a good deal on eBay.

Just ordered "New World Order" from Amazon. Should be here early next week. Will let you know how I liked it.

Thanks for the tip,

Jim