• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Locked out of the Javitts Con.

48 posts in this topic

Does this happen at a lot of the big shows? Like San Diego, for instance? I've been setting a little aside to go to SD this year(my first big convention)and don't want to be disappointed.

There is no way that would happen at San Diego. The convention center is more than big enough to handle everyone who comes. I didn't even have to wait in line last year when I picked up my badge during the middle of the day on Friday. There was never a line to get into the dealer room on any day that weekend while I was there and it was never too crowded to walk around even though there were 100K attendees.

That's true. I've attended every day of each San Diego con the last 13 years in a row. They've never had to block off people from coming in. Sure, there are long lines if you want to buy your ticket early in the day, or if you want to get in at the open each day (even with a ticket already), but if you buy your ticket in advance, and wait at least 30 minutes after the open to walk in each day, you'll never have to stand in a single line unless you choose to for some event or signing. San Diego surely can get crowded though, but not usually in the comic dealers area which seems to be the least crowded in the entire convention center. The media and video game areas can be a nightmare though where just walking down the aisle can take a long time. However, just avoid those areas, stay near the comic dealers and you will be very comfortable. grin.gif

Does this happen at a lot of the big shows? Like San Diego, for instance? I've been setting a little aside to go to SD this year(my first big convention)and don't want to be disappointed.

There is no way that would happen at San Diego. The convention center is more than big enough to handle everyone who comes. I didn't even have to wait in line last year when I picked up my badge during the middle of the day on Friday. There was never a line to get into the dealer room on any day that weekend while I was there and it was never too crowded to walk around even though there were 100K attendees.

That's true. I've attended every day of each San Diego con the last 13 years in a row. They've never had to block off people from coming in. Sure, there are long lines if you want to buy your ticket early in the day, or if you want to get in at the open each day (even with a ticket already), but if you buy your ticket in advance, and wait at least 30 minutes after the open to walk in each day, you'll never have to stand in a single line unless you choose to for some event or signing. San Diego surely can get crowded though, but not usually in the comic dealers area which seems to be the least crowded in the entire convention center. The media and video game areas can be a nightmare though where just walking down the aisle can take a long time. However, just avoid those areas, stay near the comic dealers and you will be very comfortable. grin.gif

well. San Diego Con uses the entire hall. The space reserved for this NY ComicCon was only one bay (section) of one floor of the huge Javits center. Roughly a FOOTBALL FIELD SIZED AREA in total curtained off from the rest of the (unused??) Javits basement/ground floor. I dont think the organizers can be "blamed" for not predicting such a response, after all, the last Javits show 10 years ago during the big comics heyday of the 90s boom was considered a huge failure. Could the pentup demand really be anticipated?? maybe yes, maybe no.

At least, we will definitely see another next year after this huge turnout.

The place was packed to be sure. The line that existed on Sat afternoon was beyond crazy. It snaked around and around and around all over the place.

All I can say is thank goodness for exhibitor badges!!!

Also, as with SD, the majority of the show is of course not comic books.

I really want to check out one of these cons. I am 1 hr from Toronto, so maybe that in September.

dude, i'm going to TO Paradise show in April as well (about 1 hour away)...give me a shout if you go!

I was at the show yesterday and had a blast! I met around 10 board members including Bronzebruce 13, Red Hook, Foolkiller and Esquirecomics, and they are a great bunch. The show was indeed closed for a while due to overcrowding. I haven't seen that many people at a show since I went to San Diego in 2000. I heard this being discussed by the State Police that were manning the doors. Seemed like it lasted for about two hours, and then the show re-opened. The room was very large. Probably the length of the San Diego Convention Center, and about 6-7 aisles wide. I believe the organizers will expand the room next year, as there is the capability to double it's size.