• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko EERIE # 5 Splash - $27,500???

41 posts in this topic

That's a great point Chris. Ditko ASM pages are not all that difficult to find if you have the $$$ but Strange Tales pages?? Very tough.

A great Dr. Strange page with all Ditko work was one of my 1st art collecting goals. I looked for a good 10 years and only found 3 pages to reject and one to grab. It seemed like I was seeing spidey pages from most of the big art dealers but no Dr. Strange. It was a fellow collector who finally hooked me up with this one.

Strange Tales 127 Page 2 headbang.gif

I hear tales of a splash page that may hit the market sometime soon, and it may challenge Spidey splash prices if what I hear is true.

Best,

Chris Caira

Awesome strange page. If you had to wait, you did at least get something spectacular.

I had a chance many moons ago to pick up a better Warren Ditko splash but it was priced at an "absurd 5 grand" at the time. Oh well.

What was the splash?

Don't know. I'm not an Warren mag expert. I'm pretty sure I'd recognize it if I saw a scan of the art of the comics page.

That's a great point Chris. Ditko ASM pages are not all that difficult to find if you have the $$$ but Strange Tales pages?? Very tough.

A great Dr. Strange page with all Ditko work was one of my 1st art collecting goals. I looked for a good 10 years and only found 3 pages to reject and one to grab. It seemed like I was seeing spidey pages from most of the big art dealers but no Dr. Strange. It was a fellow collector who finally hooked me up with this one.

Strange Tales 127 Page 2 headbang.gif

I hear tales of a splash page that may hit the market sometime soon, and it may challenge Spidey splash prices if what I hear is true.

Best,

Chris Caira

That page was certainly worth the wait! Not only Doc Strange, but Dormammu and Clea too, and some classic Ditko quirkiness. Fantastic stuff.

Thanks for sharing Chris. cloud9.gif

That page was certainly worth the wait! Not only Doc Strange, but Dormammu and Clea too, and some classic Ditko quirkiness. Fantastic stuff.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It wasn't cheap, but it was one of those pages that when you see it, it takes about a nano second to say "I'll Take IT!!"

Like you said it had every element anyone could want.

Chris Caira

Ditko prices are maximum on his Marvel superhero works, namely ASM, Dr. Strange and Hulk (in descending value/price/popularity) order. Solid interior pages of each of those, featuring nice panels of the main character, would run 10-12K, 8-10K and 3-5K. Splashes would run, in my estimation, 40K, 25-30K and 15K (respectively).

While I tend to agree that the Ditko superhero stuff is his most pricey, I don't know if you can place Dr. Strange far behind ASM. While his Strange is behind ASM in popularity, his output on Dr. Strange was very small compared to his ASM output.

Ditko produced approx(pencils and inks) 828 pages for Amazing Spider-Man,

Ditko produced apprx(pencils and inks) 298 pages for Dr. Strange.

Most of the Dr. Strange stories were either 5,8,9 or 10 pages each with none being longer than 10 pages. Ditko's ASM stories were all at least 20 pages in length. So while Spidey might be more popular than Dr. Strange, he also has a 3 to 1 lead on all Ditko pages that were produced.

If the supply were equal I would agree with you ASM pages and Dr. Strange pages of similiar quality would be ASM #1 and Strange #2. But the dearth of Dr. Strange pages in existence and the rarity of quality pages to the market close the gap considerably. For similar in costume action pages I have seen Dr. Strange pages be the equal to sometimes, and at times the superior of, similar quality ASM pages....and that is do to simple relative scarcity.

The rest of what you said makes sense.

Best,

Chris Caira

Hi Chris,

You're using logic! 893naughty-thumb.gif You know that has no place here wink.gif

Ditko Dr. Strange pages were, if I recall correctly, pricier than his ASM pages for some time, for the reasons that you state. About four or five years ago, however, Spidey's popularity made those pages more valuable, even with the 3:1 supply ratio favoring the Dr. Strange pages. In other words, while there are 3X as many ASM pages, there are 20X as many ASM collectors! And, for that reason, the ASM pages will continue to escalate in price at a higher rate.

Just my opinion.... time will, of course, tell.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It wasn't cheap, but it was one of those pages that when you see it, it takes about a nano second to say "I'll Take IT!!"

Like you said it had every element anyone could want.

Chris Caira

A superb page, Chris. Impeccable taste, as usual.

Thanks Hari and Mike,

I appreciate the compliment.

Pieces are so expensive these days you have to be alot more discerning and be alot more sure of the decisions you make.

If my taste approaches either of yours hail.gif I will be in good shape.

Best,

Chris

I wonder what my Ditko page is worth while you're all on the topic. I have no yardstick for OA prices since I collect comics, not art.

I bought a page at a con about 15 years ago. It's DC's First Issue Special #7, The Creeper, page 14. It's a story page, not a splash, with several panels of the Creeper in action. I realize the Creeper is not Spidey or Sci-Fi so he's way down on the list, but it's still Ditko.

Could anyone ballpark it?

I wonder what my Ditko page is worth while you're all on the topic. I have no yardstick for OA prices since I collect comics, not art.

I bought a page at a con about 15 years ago. It's DC's First Issue Special #7, The Creeper, page 14. It's a story page, not a splash, with several panels of the Creeper in action. I realize the Creeper is not Spidey or Sci-Fi so he's way down on the list, but it's still Ditko.

Can you provide a scan?

Can you provide a scan?

My great skills with the camera have cut off the top part of the page, but it is present. This should still give you a good idea what it looks like.

ditko-page.jpg

Interestingly, I bought the DC Archive Editions hardback reprint of the CAPTAIN ATOM ARCHIVES, Volume # 1, whilst out yesterday.

As a matter of fact, Ditko's work for "Captain Atom" debuted in SPACE ADVENTURES # 33, March 1960. After 9 issues, in SPACE ADVENTURES # 42, October 1961, the strip was put on hold - but returned with his own title, CAPTAIN ATOM # 78, in December 1965.

Like Spidey, the good Captain Atom was created as a result of a scientific accident . . .

As such, this Ditko superhero strip pre-dates SPIDER-MAN, and was also resurrected towards the end of the artist's tenure on ASM.

okc56w.jpg

One thing I have noticed during this thread, is that fellow-collectors can mostly only relate to price ranges of interior page originals for strips like ASM and DR STRANGE. Although a small handful of Ditko ASM cover originals have changed hands in private deals in recent years, no-one seems able (or willing) to venture into price-range territory . . .

Outside of that small handful of ASM cover originals, the only other (Large Art) Ditko superhero covers from the 1960s I'm aware exist are:

CAPTAIN ATOM # 80

CAPTAIN ATOM # 88

BLUE BEETLE #1

NUKLA # 4

Not in the same league as ASM, I know, but they're still extremely rare examples of mid-1960s (Large Art) Ditko superhero work.

Even counted together with any surviving ASM cover originals, you're probably looking at perhaps no more than 10 - 12 (Large Art) Ditko superhero covers in existence? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Interestingly, I bought the DC Archive Editions hardback reprint of the CAPTAIN ATOM ARCHIVES, Volume # 1, whilst out yesterday.

As a matter of fact, Ditko's work for "Captain Atom" debuted in SPACE ADVENTURES # 33, March 1960. After 9 issues, in SPACE ADVENTURES # 42, October 1961, the strip was put on hold - but returned with his own title, CAPTAIN ATOM # 78, in December 1965.

Like Spidey, the good Captain Atom was created as a result of a scientific accident . . .

As such, this Ditko superhero strip pre-dates SPIDER-MAN, and was also resurrected towards the end of the artist's tenure on ASM.

okc56w.jpg

One thing I have noticed during this thread, is that fellow-collectors can mostly only relate to price ranges of interior page originals for strips like ASM and DR STRANGE. Although a small handful of Ditko ASM cover originals have changed hands in private deals in recent years, no-one seems able (or willing) to venture into price-range territory . . .

Outside of that small handful of ASM cover originals, the only other (Large Art) Ditko superhero covers from the 1980s I'm aware exist are:

CAPTAIN ATOM # 80

CAPTAIN ATOM # 88

BLUE BEETLE #1

NUKLA # 4

Not in the same league as ASM, I know, but they're still extremely rare examples of mid-1960s (Large Art) Ditko superhero work.

Even counted together with any surviving ASM cover originals, you're probably looking at perhaps no more than 10 (Large Art) Ditko superhero covers in existence? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I own the covers to Capt Atom #78 and #88

Stephen

Edited by metropolisent

okc56w.jpg

Outside of that small handful of ASM cover originals, the only other (Large Art) Ditko superhero covers from the 1960s I'm aware exist are:

CAPTAIN ATOM # 80

CAPTAIN ATOM # 88

BLUE BEETLE #1

NUKLA # 4

Even counted together with any surviving ASM cover originals, you're probably looking at perhaps no more than 10 - 12 (Large Art) Ditko superhero covers in existence? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I own the covers to Capt Atom #78 and #88

Stephen

That's great news; I knew you had # 88, but didn't know about # 78.

thumbsup2.gif

Any chance of a scan?

I think at auction the Nukla cover would go for about 5-6k. I'd personally be willing to offer 4k for it. It'd go great with my Nukla collection! Based on the past  sales for Nukla items I think it would be around here. The first cover sold for $1,400 in 2010. Of course, Ditko wasn't the artist. It was done by  Giordano and Sal Trapani. Cover #2 and the complete interior pages sold for $840.  It found the owner of the alternate cover for #3 and he wanted $9k for it. Out of line? Not sure, but definitely out of  my price range.

I've been more of the book side of collecting and not the art though so my insight might be way off here!

11 hours ago, dolszeski said:

I think at auction the Nukla cover would go for about 5-6k. I'd personally be willing to offer 4k for it. It'd go great with my Nukla collection! Based on the past  sales for Nukla items I think it would be around here. The first cover sold for $1,400 in 2010. Of course, Ditko wasn't the artist. It was done by  Giordano and Sal Trapani. Cover #2 and the complete interior pages sold for $840.  It found the owner of the alternate cover for #3 and he wanted $9k for it. Out of line? Not sure, but definitely out of  my price range.

I've been more of the book side of collecting and not the art though so my insight might be way off here!

Wow, you resurrected a 12 year old thread that I'd completely forgotten about!  I imagine the (then) high price-tag of the Ditko EERIE # 5 splash would now seem like a good buy in the current marketplace.

As for the NUKLA # 4 cover . . . I'm sorry to advise that it won't be hitting your collection anytime soon!  ;)

Edited by The Voord

Ah-haha! As all art goes, its value is wherever some one willingness to pay for it meets the owners willingness to part with it. Two great pieces, no doubt. Might be worth while to have them appraised (and insured!) then report back to us (me and the other people from 12 years ago).

I'd undoubtedly offer more for any excellent piece going into my collection if I wasn't afraid of what my wife would say about it...

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, dolszeski said:

I found the owner of the alternate cover for #3 and he wanted $9k for it. Out of line? 

Sounds like you found Steve Donnelly's offering of the unpublished version of the NUKLA 3 cover.

He claims this to be ghosted by Steve Ditko . . . but then again he claims that for every single page of NUKLA art that he owns and is offering for sale.

Ditko is only ever credited for pencils on issue 4 (cover and interiors).

Here's Steve Donnelly's listing for the unpublished NUKLA 3 cover.  He found some later Ditko whale drawings to place alongside the cover.  I don't see Ditko on the left-hand NUKLA artwork . . .

nukla3cvr.jpg

Edited by The Voord