• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko EERIE # 5 Splash - $27,500???

41 posts in this topic

Whilst I wouldn't deny that Ditko's ink-wash work for the early Warren mags represents some of his very best work, I'm a bit taken aback by the $27,500 price tag attached to the following splash from EERIE # 5:

okc3td.jpg

What do other collectors on this forum think . . . is this an excessive asking price, or is it right on the money?

Additionally, what sort of value would collectors place on the the two 1966 Ditko superhero covers I own? They're not for sale, I hasten to add; I'm just curious as to where the Ditko market for his vintage art now stands . . .

okc56w.jpg

CAPTAIN ATOM # 80, April-May 1966 (one of only two examples from this series known to exist).

okcqh5.jpg

NUKLA # 4, September 1966 (4th and final issue - and the only Ditko cover from this short-run series)

As we all know, 'Large Art' Ditko superhero covers from the 1960s are extremely scarce. I appreciate that something like SPIDER-MAN overshadows most of his other work, but as much as I like the Warren books, there are no continuing characters (as is the same for his pre-superhero fantasy work for Marvel), and the $27,500 price-tage on the "Black Magic" splash is a bit of a jaw-dropper for me.

Thoughts, anyone . . ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would put the Captain Atom cover 4000+, the Nukla at 2500+. The Eerie I don't know, as I I haven't followed on the sales of the mag/comics. But 27000 seems pretty high unless there's some major significance to that page.

Actually, the first time I came across the CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 cover was when it was offered for sale in a Robert Rogovin FOUR COLOUR COMICS Sales catalog.

In the year 2000, Rogovin had priced the cover at $11,000.

Similarly, I heard that a Ditko BLUE BEETLE cover, also from the same time frame/publisher was sold by Albert Moy for $20,000.

As such, I think your estimates are way out, sorry! Even the Jery Weist COMIC ART PRICE GUIDE (2nd edition), which is widely regarded as way under-valuing art, puts Ditko's CAPTAIN ATOM and BLUE BEETLE cover art in the $7,500+ range . . .

I was looking at some of the prices his horror covers were going for a couple of years ago and they were around $2-3k range - I guess his Captain Atom stuff must fetch way more. I owned a Ghostly Tales a while back which I bought for $2k and I think realized a bit over $3k a few years back.

I would put the Captain Atom cover 4000+, the Nukla at 2500+. The Eerie I don't know, as I I haven't followed on the sales of the mag/comics. But 27000 seems pretty high unless there's some major significance to that page.

Actually, the first time I came across the CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 cover was when it was offered for sale in a Robert Rogovin FOUR COLOUR COMICS Sales catalog.

In the year 2000, Rogovin had priced the cover at $11,000.

Similarly, I heard that a Ditko BLUE BEETLE cover, also from the same time frame/publisher was sold by Albert Moy for $20,000.

As such, I think your estimates are way out, sorry! Even the Jery Weist COMIC ART PRICE GUIDE (2nd edition), which is widely regarded as way under-valuing art, puts Ditko's CAPTAIN ATOM and BLUE BEETLE cover art in the $7,500+ range . . .

When you ask for opinions, you'll get them ...

I don't understand the price of the Warren splash at 27,500 but that's just another crazy asking price, right? I don't honestly understand 80% or so of the prices I see on art dealer's websites or when I visit their booths at a show. But then most of them have a real job so they don't seem to be in any hurry to sell.

When you ask for opinions, you'll get them ...

Oh, absolutely.

An opinion usually carries some background research and/or knowledge.

A guess is mostly uninformed.

If someone was to field a question about artwork I knew little or nothing about, I wouldn't be in a position to offer an opinion . . . if you see what I mean 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

An opinion usually carries some background research and/or knowledge.

But not necessarily a lot of background research or knowledge.

Look, I'm not trying to criticize you or GPA, just that in general on this forum from my brief viewing experience (about a year), there are definitely people who'll provide an opinion before their synapses start to fire.

I figured that GPAs estimates were low because I thought, gee, at that price, I'd buy those covers! And since art always seems to go a lot higher than I'm willing to pay I figure it was probably off.

I had a chance many moons ago to pick up a better Warren Ditko splash but it was priced at an "absurd 5 grand" at the time. Oh well.

Edited by adamstrange

Anything I could say about the subject would be far more of a guess than an opinion (by trent's definition) but 27500 seems crazy to me too just based on the other stuff that seems to be available in that range.

It's a nice page and is probably helped by the fact it has a Dr Strange feel to the subject matter, but personally I wouldn't consider that any more desirable than a mediocre to average ditko ASM page. confused-smiley-013.gif

As for the two covers, I see the capt atom as being quite a bit more desireable. At least 50% more than the nukla. If I had to guess I'd put the nukla at 12 and the capt atom at 20 but what I do know.... strictly guessing tongue.gif

Whilst I wouldn't deny that Ditko's ink-wash work for the early Warren mags represents some of his very best work, I'm a bit taken aback by the $27,500 price tag attached to the following splash from EERIE # 5:

okc3td.jpg

What do other collectors on this forum think . . . is this an excessive asking price, or is it right on the money?

Additionally, what sort of value would collectors place on the the two 1966 Ditko superhero covers I own? They're not for sale, I hasten to add; I'm just curious as to where the Ditko market for his vintage art now stands . . .

okc56w.jpg

CAPTAIN ATOM # 80, April-May 1966 (one of only two examples from this series known to exist).

okcqh5.jpg

NUKLA # 4, September 1966 (4th and final issue - and the only Ditko cover from this short-run series)

As we all know, 'Large Art' Ditko superhero covers from the 1960s are extremely scarce. I appreciate that something like SPIDER-MAN overshadows most of his other work, but as much as I like the Warren books, there are no continuing characters (as is the same for his pre-superhero fantasy work for Marvel), and the $27,500 price-tage on the "Black Magic" splash is a bit of a jaw-dropper for me.

Thoughts, anyone . . ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ditko prices are maximum on his Marvel superhero works, namely ASM, Dr. Strange and Hulk (in descending value/price/popularity) order. Solid interior pages of each of those, featuring nice panels of the main character, would run 10-12K, 8-10K and 3-5K. Splashes would run, in my estimation, 40K, 25-30K and 15K (respectively). His non-Marvel work is less popularity, whether that is fair or not... it just is. As such, my guess on the above splash would have to be around 15K. Although nice, it would not reach the level of a comparable quality Dr. Strange splash page.

Best,

I was looking at some of the prices his horror covers were going for a couple of years ago and they were around $2-3k range - I guess his Captain Atom stuff must fetch way more. I owned a Ghostly Tales a while back which I bought for $2k and I think realized a bit over $3k a few years back.

Ditko's Horror covers for Charlton, from the 1970s, do crop up for sale from time to time and are relatively inexpensive.

As a general rule of thumb, superhero covers (ie, continuing characters) are more appealing to collectors.

In terms of Ditko (Large Art) Superhero covers from the 1960s, surprisingly few originals are known to exist. My CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 cover is concurrent with SPIDER-MAN #s 35 and 36 - as such, Ditko's peak period. The NUKLA # 4 cover is a couple of months after his departure from ASM.

By the time Ditko illustrated THE CREEPER and HAWK & DOVE for DC (late 1960s), I found his work leaning more towards a 'cartoon' style, and less illustrative in quality.

I agree with Hari about the 'pecking order' for Ditko's Marvel Superhero art - and the price ranges he suggest for interior pages (including splashes).

The Warren splash is superb, but very pricey for a non-continuing character/series.

I was trying to focus more on that rarest of beasts . . .

Ditko (Large Art) Superhero covers from the 1960s . . . with regard to price ranges.

Informed opinions, yes please. thumbsup2.gif

Wild guesses, no, not really. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Though I do appreciate ALL feedback, thanks 893applaud-thumb.gif

As for the two covers, I see the capt atom as being quite a bit more desireable. At least 50% more than the nukla. If I had to guess I'd put the nukla at 12 and the capt atom at 20 but what I do know.... strictly guessing tongue.gif

Actually, we're in the same ball-park. wink.gif

Hari, Terry, et al; I and about 20 other guys would be ecstatic to find a Ditko Spidey splash for 40k.... those days, they be over. People are turning down 75k offers for them. And, I've been offered a really choice example for well, well over 100k.... which I turned down.

There are just too few of them and a few hoarders that are making these things very desirable.

I turned down a 50k offer on mine so I may be jaded, but just like it too much.

I think 10 to 12k for interiors is a little old too.... but maybe my definition of solid pages differs from yours. Really nice early pages seem to be going for 15 to 20k, and mid to late run pages going from 12 to 15k. I'm talking action pages though.

While I love Spidey ala Ditko, I think some of Ditko's best work was his pre-hero sci'fi Marvel work. Would love to find a story or even a solid page with aliens, etc.

Mark's splash seems to be about 20k overpriced, maybe a bit less than that. But, that is nothing new for him. He's a real peach...

Sorry Terry, I know very little of his early hero pricing.... the Ghostly tales, etc covers go from $2500 to $3500. Haven't seen any kind of jump there.

Ditko seems to be a classic example of character making the market in our hobby. Makes you think... Dan

Ditko prices are maximum on his Marvel superhero works, namely ASM, Dr. Strange and Hulk (in descending value/price/popularity) order. Solid interior pages of each of those, featuring nice panels of the main character, would run 10-12K, 8-10K and 3-5K. Splashes would run, in my estimation, 40K, 25-30K and 15K (respectively).

While I tend to agree that the Ditko superhero stuff is his most pricey, I don't know if you can place Dr. Strange far behind ASM. While his Strange is behind ASM in popularity, his output on Dr. Strange was very small compared to his ASM output.

Ditko produced approx(pencils and inks) 828 pages for Amazing Spider-Man,

Ditko produced apprx(pencils and inks) 298 pages for Dr. Strange.

Most of the Dr. Strange stories were either 5,8,9 or 10 pages each with none being longer than 10 pages. Ditko's ASM stories were all at least 20 pages in length. So while Spidey might be more popular than Dr. Strange, he also has a 3 to 1 lead on all Ditko pages that were produced.

If the supply were equal I would agree with you ASM pages and Dr. Strange pages of similiar quality would be ASM #1 and Strange #2. But the dearth of Dr. Strange pages in existence and the rarity of quality pages to the market close the gap considerably. For similar in costume action pages I have seen Dr. Strange pages be the equal to sometimes, and at times the superior of, similar quality ASM pages....and that is do to simple relative scarcity.

The rest of what you said makes sense.

Best,

Chris Caira

Ditko prices are maximum on his Marvel superhero works, namely ASM, Dr. Strange and Hulk (in descending value/price/popularity) order. Solid interior pages of each of those, featuring nice panels of the main character, would run 10-12K, 8-10K and 3-5K. Splashes would run, in my estimation, 40K, 25-30K and 15K (respectively).

While I tend to agree that the Ditko superhero stuff is his most pricey, I don't know if you can place Dr. Strange far behind ASM. While his Strange is behind ASM in popularity, his output on Dr. Strange was very small compared to his ASM output.

Ditko produced approx(pencils and inks) 828 pages for Amazing Spider-Man,

Ditko produced apprx(pencils and inks) 298 pages for Dr. Strange.

Most of the Dr. Strange stories were either 5,8,9 or 10 pages each with none being longer than 10 pages. Ditko's ASM stories were all at least 20 pages in length. So while Spidey might be more popular than Dr. Strange, he also has a 3 to 1 lead on all Ditko pages that were produced.

If the supply were equal I would agree with you ASM pages and Dr. Strange pages of similiar quality would be ASM #1 and Strange #2. But the dearth of Dr. Strange pages in existence and the rarity of quality pages to the market close the gap considerably. For similar in costume action pages I have seen Dr. Strange pages be the equal to sometimes, and at times the superior of, similar quality ASM pages....and that is do to simple relative scarcity.

The rest of what you said makes sense.

Best,

Chris Caira

That's a great point Chris. Ditko ASM pages are not all that difficult to find if you have the $$$ but Strange Tales pages?? Very tough.

That's a great point Chris. Ditko ASM pages are not all that difficult to find if you have the $$$ but Strange Tales pages?? Very tough.

A great Dr. Strange page with all Ditko work was one of my 1st art collecting goals. I looked for a good 10 years and only found 3 pages to reject and one to grab. It seemed like I was seeing spidey pages from most of the big art dealers but no Dr. Strange. It was a fellow collector who finally hooked me up with this one.

Strange Tales 127 Page 2 headbang.gif

I hear tales of a splash page that may hit the market sometime soon, and it may challenge Spidey splash prices if what I hear is true.

Best,

Chris Caira