• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 2 Movie is TOAST

208 posts in this topic

Well, Catwoman was DC. I never saw Electra, but could agree that Daredevel was slightly worse. I thought FF was a little bit better and I loved the Punisher. I thought it was kick arse!

I recently saw part of Catwoman when it was on cable awhile ago. Missed the beggining, but came in during the basketball scene, I threw up in my mouth a little bit and quickly turned the channel.

Ze-

That's kind of the reaction many people seemed to have. Luckily I never wasted the 104 minutes of my life watching it. 27_laughing.gif Word of mouth reached me first.

Catwoman is a pretty bad film period. But it had so little (none!) to do with either Batman or the Catwoman mythos in general that it can hardly even be considered based on a comic book.

Hulk isn't that bad a movie, but it ran so contrary to comic book fan expectations that it couldn't fail to disappoint. It's a shame because Ang Lee is one of the finest directors working today - but he really wasn't right for it. It was far too pretentious and serious, and offered little for kids. Still, it was so far superior to the version that Universal almost made a few years before. I can't really talk about it other than to say that in that version Hulk went to Mars...

What films would you rank behind the Hulk. Maybe there are some I'm not thinking of.

Of the recent superhero movies, Elektra and Catwoman were terrible and easily below the Hulk, Daredevil probably slightly worse, and Punisher and FF were about equal.

Basically on the Marvel front, other than Spider-man and X-Men, the movies have all been horrible.

Catwoman wasn't a comic book adapted superhero movie. I figured someone as critical as you would know that.

With Marvel getting the rights to all it's properties, maybe that's why Fox is saying X3 will be the last picture.

I would hope Marvel would start filming it's movies much like LOTR. Have a trilogy setup, sign the actors, writers, and directors, and release the movies a year a part. Get a new creative team on each "arc".

The misconception in Hollywood is you can't have sequels released too close to each other or the audience gets tired. Hogwash. I would have paid money to see Batman Begins 2 the next day if it followed the teaser at the end. Audiences don't tire of good characters or good movies. They tire of [embarrassing lack of self control] like Catwoman.

Just in case you fanboys missed it, Universal has decided not to lose another truckload of money on a Hulk 2 sequel, and the rights have gone back to Marvel.

According to the article... Marvel is probably going with a cheap direct-to-video release for "Hulk 2." 27_laughing.gif

Now if only Fantastic Four can meet the same fate! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

*takes cover before incoming fanboyz trample the thread with "OMG FANTASTIC FOUR WAS GOOD WUT R U TALKING ABOUT! I TOOK MY 3 YEAR OLD TO IT AND THEY LIKED IT!!!!"*

27_laughing.gif

They are not making Hulk 2 because they are afraid of what JC will say about it.

It has nothing to do with money.

Ze-

You just wait until he dumps his Hulk slabs.

Big time crash baby! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Catwoman is a pretty bad film period. But it had so little (none!) to do with either Batman or the Catwoman mythos in general that it can hardly even be considered based on a comic book.

Hulk isn't that bad a movie, but it ran so contrary to comic book fan expectations that it couldn't fail to disappoint. It's a shame because Ang Lee is one of the finest directors working today - but he really wasn't right for it. It was far too pretentious and serious, and offered little for kids. Still, it was so far superior to the version that Universal almost made a few years before. I can't really talk about it other than to say that in that version Hulk went to Mars...

Hulk on Mars, huh? Could be cool, did he team up with John Carter? 27_laughing.gif

There were elements of Hulk that I liked, but overal, I felt it was pretty bad. I liked the desert scenes with the tanks and well, I liked the desert scenes with the tanks. crazy.gif

There were elements of Hulk that I liked, but overal, I felt it was pretty bad.

Only two parts I liked:

One was some of the jumping around in the desert (and the tanks some too I guess), and the part where he beats the snot out of Major Talbot!

I always hated that guy. 893censored-thumb.gif

Yes, I know "Ned" isn't "Glen", but it felt goood anyhow. gossip.gif

get a better director like Sam Raimi or Bryan Singer

27_laughing.gifscrewy.gif

The guy who directed "The Hulk" already has 2 Best Director nominations and probably will own an Oscar before the night of March 5 is out, something Raimi and Singer would likely sell their souls for.

The guy who directed "The Hulk" already has 2 Best Director nominations and probably will own an Oscar before the night of March 5 is out, something Raimi and Singer would likely sell their souls for.

Ang Lee is more critically received than Raimi and Singer for sure. However, they seem to have more respect for the audience expecations and source material than Lee. I respect what Lee tried to do with the Hulk, it just did not come across as a Hulk movie. It would have been better if they created a new character and tried to make an artsy movie from that.

I doubt Singer or Raimi loose any sleep over an Oscar nod. If they did, their choice of material would be more in line with the critcal elite, not fanboys. They seem to like choosing movies they enjoy.

If I may rank the Marvel Movies that I have seen:

Best to worst:

1) Daredevil( by a wide margin - wider margin that the airspace of that missed Vanderjagt field goal in the COLTS's loss to STEELERS);

2) Hulk - I liked it very much - door was left open for sequel - had high hopes...

3) ASM 1 - great support characterization development and casting - big fan of DaFoe

4) FF - was ok - huge holes in action sequences( THING getting into room to rescue REED, etc) - took all of them to "defeat(?)" Dr. Doom - lame;

5) ASM 2 - too much kissee poo... too much romance when I paid $12.50 to see Spidey and Doc Ock go toe-to-toe - now I know how the moviegoers felt when they paid good money to see Clint Eastwood in Bridges of madison County only to see Clint not even THINK of bashing anyone around...

CAL juggle.gif

I respect what Lee tried to do with the Hulk, it just did not come across as a Hulk movie. It would have been better if they created a new character and tried to make an artsy movie from that.

I don't...the movie was a complete and total mess. The ending made absolutely no sense. And all the "Jekyll and Hyde" elements, written so well in the comic, was completely lost in the attempt to describe it in the movie.

Good directors occasionally make bad films sometimes, usually when their "vision" is totally off-key, and the Hulk is a prime example of a direction which didn't work and shouldn't be minimized because the director has had other superior films.

Speilberg is a very good director but can also release pure cr@p like "The Terminal". It happens and they shouldn't get a free ride when discussing their individual films...

It is what it is...regardless of prior or subsequent successes...

Jim

That may be, but I don't think Sam is too worried as he rolls around in his cut of the $403 million gross profits from the first Spidey movie or his cut of the $783 million gross profits from the second movie. There are lots of great actors and directors out there that never won an award. I agree with others though, Lee just didn't seem happy with the source material which is great stuff. Singer and Raimi seem to genuinely care about the story and stuck as close to it as possible. Lee seems to have wanted to do this deep psychological exploration film. The best parts were when they got away from that and just let "Hulk Smash!" happen instead.

That may be, but I don't think Sam is too worried as he roles around in his cut of the $403 million gross profits from the first Spidey movie or his cut of the $783 million gross profits from the second movie. There are lots of great actors and directors out there that never won an award. I agree with others though, Lee just didn't seem happy with the source material which is great stuff. Singer and Raimi seem to genuinely care about the story and stuck as close to it as possible. Lee seems to have wanted to do this deep psychological exploration film. The best parts were when they got away from that and just let "Hulk Smash!" happen instead.

I agree. This isn't the kind of touchy feely movie that's going to garner all the Oscars nods, so it's best to get a director who just sticks close to the source material and makes a kick arse movie for the fanboys who just want to see Hulk smash the cr@p out of things.

5) ASM 2 - too much kissee poo... too much romance when I paid $12.50 to see Spidey and Doc Ock go toe-to-toe -CAL juggle.gif

I thought the Doc Oc battles were plentiful and spectacular for the most part.

The Bank, The City/Building, The non fight in the Cafe, The speeding Train, The old Lab at the end. They cant fight the entire movie.

You afraid of intimacy Cal? Even Peter P. deserves a little smooch now and then. flowerred.gif

Ze-

Wonder how different The Hulk movie would have been if Peter Jackson directed /wrote the screenplay?

You afraid of intimacy Cal? Even Peter P. deserve a little smooch now and then.

Hey ZEMAN - I got a reputation to uphold!!! lol

I am a huge Spider-Man fan( he is number two behind Iron Man obviously), but the pace of ASM 2 dragged considerably because of the Peter/Mary Jane " I...don't know... if I... love you.. or not..." "Oh Peter, please tell me...." " Oh Mary Jane I... got....something.......to......tell....oh I ; just changed....I' can't.....do this.....oh wait..................." silence for 60 long-arse seconds.....

That went on wayyyyyyy too much for a macho man like me!!! But my wife and daughters loved that romance!!!

Hey, Marvel was smart - sprinkle lots of ingredients to appeal to the broadest consumer base possible! Girls like romance - that is why Charlton and others produced those cheesy Romance comics - get the girls to spend money!!!

CAL acclaim.gif